Prospect Info: Jayden Struble, LD, St. Sebastians, Pick 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
You can really see the added confidence this season, he's carrying the puck way more as a sophomore. It feels like he's only scratching the surface too, his upside could be much higher still.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
wow. over a ppg in his first 6 games. Not bad. Some thinks he can even be better. Very interesting.

Our D depth just keeps looking better every day. God I just want Norlinder to hit big. I don't know if Struble quite has Norlinder's pure offense. Norlinder definitely seems to have the better shot.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Struble standing there next his goalie after the whistle in the way of a guy trying to charge the goalie and the guy was like: "nope, don't want anything to do with him, evasion maneuvers"

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Struble has 17 pts in his last 19 ncaa games
Really impressive for a 18-19 year old college defenseman

Not that I don’t believe you but where are you getting your stats from?

I thought he’s only gotten 15 points in the last two seasons combined

I guess 17 after tonight

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Not that I don’t believe you but where are you getting your stats from?

I thought he’s only gotten 15 points in the last two seasons combined

I guess 17 after tonight

He scored 7 pts in 6 games this year.
Last season, he scored 10 pts in his last 13 games.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Color me impressed. Still have questions about his IQ, but nice to see that he has an intriguing skillset and not just a freak of an athlete.

yeah that's what I keep wondering. If his game can translate. People seem to think he can still be better which of course is what's important. He was considered raw when we drafted him. If he's a guy who can keep getting better and better then we can have a helluva player on our hands.

Those first 3 2019 picks have some real upside. I remember you said we don't have any guys who have #2 potential. I disagree. No sure things there but Struble, Romanov and Norlinder have #2 potential imo. They have question marks but I really think the upside is there. I even think Guhle has a chance too.

I might be a bit too rosey there but you seem to think these guys MIGHT have top 4 upside at the very most. I think that's a bit harsh. You could very well be right in the end but I think their ceilings are a bit higher. I would love to point to more of a sure thing blue chipper back there with Weber winding down. I think that's a very valid concern. I still believe we're really strong back there. As strong as I've seen it.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Those first 3 2019 picks have some real upside. I remember you said we don't have any guys who have #2 potential. I disagree. No sure things there but Struble, Romanov and Norlinder have #2 potential imo. They have question marks but I really think the upside is there. I even think Guhle has a chance too.

I might be a bit too rosey there but you seem to think these guys MIGHT have top 4 upside at the very most. I think that's a bit harsh. You could very well be right in the end but I think their ceilings are a bit higher. I would love to point to more of a sure thing blue chipper back there with Weber winding down. I think that's a very valid concern. I still believe we're really strong back there. As strong as I've seen it.
To me a #2 is a Jeff Petry or maybe slightly better, so I have a hard time seeing that.

Romanov is a complete mystery and the hype for him from some fans and the entire management is ridiculous when he did nothing extraordinary in the KHL and the vast majority of us are solely judging him for his WJCs.

Struble has incredible athleticism, but I have a lot of questions with him, especially in terms of hockey IQ. That's pretty much a must for most #2 dmen. I know Jeff Petry isn't considered a high IQ player, but he's become a lot smarter with and without the puck and his development path is very rare.

Norlinder I question how he will translate to the NHL. I know he is performing better than his stats in the SHL, but I would like to see better production to have confidence that he can be a top pairing dman.

Guhle again, I'm not sure how well his puck moving ability will translate in the NHL, didn't he also say he needs to improve in that department?

I actually think Brook could end up being a #2 dman even though it's unlikely, but I have more confidence in him than some other guys.

I believe we have tons of potential top 4 dmen. Romanov, Norlinder, Guhle, Struble, Brook, Harris and I really think Fleury could be a lower end top 4 dman. That being said, some might reach their potential, and some definitely won't. We aren't going anywhere without a stud #1 dman, and at best we have at least one future Jeff Petry in our hands in my opinion. It's something I'm very concerned about, but we are definitely deep for top 4/bottom pairing dmen in the future.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Struble is such a beast. As an opposing player, he's the type of player that throws you off your game a little as you always have to have your head on a swivel when he's on the ice. Some players need to be reminded to hit and play physical as it doesn't come naturally for them, and some (like Struble) actually relish it and have to be reminded to reel it in.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
To me a #2 is a Jeff Petry or maybe slightly better, so I have a hard time seeing that.

Romanov is a complete mystery and the hype for him from some fans and the entire management is ridiculous when he did nothing extraordinary in the KHL and the vast majority of us are solely judging him for his WJCs.

Struble has incredible athleticism, but I have a lot of questions with him, especially in terms of hockey IQ. That's pretty much a must for most #2 dmen. I know Jeff Petry isn't considered a high IQ player, but he's become a lot smarter with and without the puck and his development path is very rare.

Norlinder I question how he will translate to the NHL. I know he is performing better than his stats in the SHL, but I would like to see better production to have confidence that he can be a top pairing dman.

Guhle again, I'm not sure how well his puck moving ability will translate in the NHL, didn't he also say he needs to improve in that department?

I actually think Brook could end up being a #2 dman even though it's unlikely, but I have more confidence in him than some other guys.

I believe we have tons of potential top 4 dmen. Romanov, Norlinder, Guhle, Struble, Brook, Harris and I really think Fleury could be a lower end top 4 dman. That being said, some might reach their potential, and some definitely won't. We aren't going anywhere without a stud #1 dman, and at best we have at least one future Jeff Petry in our hands in my opinion. It's something I'm very concerned about, but we are definitely deep for top 4/bottom pairing dmen in the future.

Romanov didn't even really get a chance to do much in the KHL with his role and TOI. When you look at what he did at the WJCs coupled with the fact that he even made the KHL on a powerhouse at 18 and you can see there's real potential. Both of these feats have question marks by themselves but when taken together you do get a fairly decent picture. Again, not saying it's fool proof. And I agree some expectations are silly. But #2 is absolutely not out of the question. WJCs are a mixed bag but you can't outright ignore them (not saying you are). There's just things you can see in his game that can give you an idea. Likely won't have Petry's offense but definitely looks like he has more solid D potential. I'm not writing off his O game completely. It's not like he's Hal Gill with the puck. His offensive tools are actually pretty good. They're just not spectacular.

I've heard people have questions about Struble's IQ but no one can point to any real red flags in that department as of yet. I mean picking his spots in hitting is definitely coachable. But again, I think we're actually pretty close on our evaluations. I wonder how much Struble's game is translatable when he gets to the bigs. Still the upside is real and the question marks don't seem that worrisome.

I agree on Norlinder. It's just weird that you don't see that they have the POTENTIAL to be #2s. You're not exactly bringing up a lot of cons in these guys games where one wouldn't at least see they have top pairing UPSIDE.

Guhle actually has decent offensive tools from the little I've seen. I've seen him flash some good mitts and a pretty deadly wrister. I think if he can iron out his play with the puck he can absolutely be a top pairing guy. Limited creativity and offensive awareness though it seems like but again it's not like it's terribad. It's just not Markov/Subban level which is fine for a #2 imo. I think his D game looks fairly polished while being raw offensively.

Brook needs a big year. I might think he has a LITTLE bit of a lesser ceiling than these guys. Hard to say though. He's still in the conversation.

It's one thing having question marks about them realizing their upsides but you don't really seem to be questioning their upsides themselves. I think all these guys have question marks but I think these 4 do have top pairing upside.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
My concern with Struble is the same that I have with Norlinder: injuries... That combo of physical abilities, that intelligence about addressing the right holes in his play, that drive. This all makes for a special prospect

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Also not being picked by Team USA for the WJC might even motivate him further. That and as a Canadian I'm happy he's not on team USA if we have to play them :D

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Struble serving notice.

@montreal thoughts?

he's looked very good so far, we'll see how the season goes as they had a light schedule to start the year although with the NCAA it's hard to know how teams will be the next season due to the turnover but last year Merrimack and Vermont were 2 of the worst teams in the league. Vermont is rebuilding and brought in a new coach and they played well vs NU although with all the chances NU had they were lucky to get the tie yesterday.

off topic but they have an undrafted FA goalie they brought in, he's from the Ottawa area I believe, Gabriel Carriere who spent last year in the USHL.

Friday should be an interesting test vs BU if they play which is sounding like they won't, if not then the following weekend is a massive test vs the #2 rated team in the NCAA in BC. Of course NU could have their starter back in net by then in Levi so that would be big for them.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
he's looked very good so far, we'll see how the season goes as they had a light schedule to start the year although with the NCAA it's hard to know how teams will be the next season due to the turnover but last year Merrimack and Vermont were 2 of the worst teams in the league. Vermont is rebuilding and brought in a new coach and they played well vs NU although with all the chances NU had they were lucky to get the tie yesterday.

off topic but they have an undrafted FA goalie they brought in, he's from the Ottawa area I believe, Gabriel Carriere who spent last year in the USHL.

Friday should be an interesting test vs BU if they play which is sounding like they won't, if not then the following weekend is a massive test vs the #2 rated team in the NCAA in BC. Of course NU could have their starter back in net by then in Levi so that would be big for them.
He's from Orleans, about 20 minutes outside Ottawa proper . He played for the Kanata Lasers of the CJHL, about 5 minutes from where I live ! I've been to a few of their games over the years , sadly they've move to another town this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
He's from Orleans, about 20 minutes outside Ottawa proper . He played for the Kanata Lasers of the CJHL, about 5 minutes from where I live ! I've been to a few of their games over the years , sadly they've move to another town this year.

Orleans is Ottawa proper. City of Ottawa picks up the garbage in Orleans, bet it's the same in Kanata and Stittsville. Since I moved to Hammond it's Rockland who picks up my garbage.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Orleans is Ottawa proper. City of Ottawa picks up the garbage in Orleans, bet it's the same in Kanata and Stittsville. Since I moved to Hammond it's Rockland who picks up my garbage.
It is and they do, I said proper as in ''where downtown is'' , since it's easier to figure the distances for someone who isn't from here :P

Reactions: Roadhouse

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
yeah that's what I keep wondering. If his game can translate. People seem to think he can still be better which of course is what's important. He was considered raw when we drafted him. If he's a guy who can keep getting better and better then we can have a helluva player on our hands.

I misread and couldn't stop laughing. I read the start of your paragraph, "Those first Thirty-Two Thousand, Nineteen picks have some real upside..."

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Where exactly do these concerns for his overall hockey IQ come from? Is it because he's such an athlete that his weaknesses HAVE to be mental? I don't see a lack of awareness on the ice with, and without the puck.

Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad