Prospect Info: Jayden Struble, LD, St. Sebastians, Pick 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Where exactly do these concerns for his overall hockey IQ come from? Is it because he's such an athlete that his weaknesses HAVE to be mental? I don't see a lack of awareness on the ice with, and without the puck.

Did you read the article?

They explain some of the things.. and time will tell if it is development, or if it is a lack of awareness/understanding.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Where exactly do these concerns for his overall hockey IQ come from? Is it because he's such an athlete that his weaknesses HAVE to be mental? I don't see a lack of awareness on the ice with, and without the puck.

are you talking about this year or last? last year he had some issues, this year he's looked very good so far but against weak teams in 4 of 6 games.

With Struble who i've seen if not every game he's played in the NCAA then close to it, i've said all along he's a huge wild card that could be our best prospect or end up a nothing burger because we had so little to go off. No one really knows what we have in Struble coming into this season since there was so little to go off.

He plays in the USHS where clearly he had a physical advantage being so strong and it's not the highest level of comp to begin with so it can be hard to get a good read on players coming out of the USHS. Then he plays 21 games in the NCAA, he's injured over the summer at our development camp so that impacts the start to his season, he plays 8 games to start his NCAA career but on the 3rd pairing. Gets a season ending injury at the 21 game mark.

So it's hard to know what he was in those 21 games split between the 3rd pair and then moved up to the 2nd pair with Harris. Last year he clearly made some questionable plays in his own end but it doesn't mean he had issues it was just something to keep an eye on and I will do so over the course of the season since he's one of our most interesting prospects.

It does seem to be improving which is a good sign. People keep saying that it looks like he can still be better.

He has put up 17 pts in his last 19 games, there's no telling how good or not he can be.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
are you talking about this year or last? last year he had some issues, this year he's looked very good so far but against weak teams in 4 of 6 games.

With Struble who i've seen if not every game he's played in the NCAA then close to it, i've said all along he's a huge wild card that could be our best prospect or end up a nothing burger because we had so little to go off. No one really knows what we have in Struble coming into this season since there was so little to go off.

He plays in the USHS where clearly he had a physical advantage being so strong and it's not the highest level of comp to begin with so it can be hard to get a good read on players coming out of the USHS. Then he plays 21 games in the NCAA, he's injured over the summer at our development camp so that impacts the start to his season, he plays 8 games to start his NCAA career but on the 3rd pairing. Gets a season ending injury at the 21 game mark.

So it's hard to know what he was in those 21 games split between the 3rd pair and then moved up to the 2nd pair with Harris. Last year he clearly made some questionable plays in his own end but it doesn't mean he had issues it was just something to keep an eye on and I will do so over the course of the season since he's one of our most interesting prospects.

He has put up 17 pts in his last 19 games, there's no telling how good or not he can be.

Yeah that's really impressive. I knew he was raw so I was willing to be more patient. But I wasn't expecting this kind of production this fast. Not sure I was expecting this production at all. But I don't know how D produce in the NCAA

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah that's really impressive. I knew he was raw so I was willing to be more patient. But I wasn't expecting this kind of production this fast. Not sure I was expecting this production at all. But I don't know how D produce in the NCAA

with NCAA i split the points in 2, the scoring leaders and the U-20 scoring leaders. Since the average age in the NCAA is usually around 21.5, I like to look at how they do vs other U-20's or when older then just vs the rest.

Last year Harris was neck and neck with the top scoring U-20 d's but then towards the end fell a few points back. He ended up tied for 4th but 2 more points he would have been tied for 2nd.

This year Struble is currently tied for 7th OA in points for blueliners, 2 more points and he would be tied for 2nd OA. But all the players ahead of him have played between 2-4 more games. But among U-20 he's tied for 1st OA in pts with a player that has played 3 more games. Struble has more assists (6) then the next highest U-20 D has points, 1st rounder York (5) while playing 2 less games then York who also plays on one of the top 3 or so teams in the NCAA.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
with NCAA i split the points in 2, the scoring leaders and the U-20 scoring leaders. Since the average age in the NCAA is usually around 21.5, I like to look at how they do vs other U-20's or when older then just vs the rest.

Last year Harris was neck and neck with the top scoring U-20 d's but then towards the end fell a few points back. He ended up tied for 4th but 2 more points he would have been tied for 2nd.

This year Struble is currently tied for 7th OA in points for blueliners, 2 more points and he would be tied for 2nd OA. But all the players ahead of him have played between 2-4 more games. But among U-20 he's tied for 1st OA in pts with a player that has played 3 more games. Struble has more assists (6) then the next highest U-20 D has points, 1st rounder York (5) while playing 2 less games then York who also plays on one of the top 3 or so teams in the NCAA.

Damn fine context. Hopefully he keeps it up. Better yet, hopefully he can keep improving like some are saying. Hard not to get giddy about a guy who's a physical specimen who also seems to have some solid skill. Looking like an inspired pick so far.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Damn fine context. Hopefully he keeps it up. Better yet, hopefully he can keep improving like some are saying. Hard not to get giddy about a guy who's a physical specimen who also seems to have some solid skill. Looking like an inspired pick so far.

well it might not be improving per say it might just be what he is just that he didn't have enough time to really show what he could do since he was just starting to really produce when he had the season ending injury.

what you know you have in him is elite skating, speed, mobility and strength. So right there you got some interesting tools to work with. Add in a high end physical game with what appears to be above average or what could be high end offensive skills as that's still too early to say just as an questions or issues with his IQ or defensive game are still early as his 27 NCAA games in his career so far aren't even a full season worth since Harris played 39 in his first year.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
well it might not be improving per say it might just be what he is just that he didn't have enough time to really show what he could do since he was just starting to really produce when he had the season ending injury.

what you know you have in him is elite skating, speed, mobility and strength. So right there you got some interesting tools to work with. Add in a high end physical game with what appears to be above average or what could be high end offensive skills as that's still too early to say just as an questions or issues with his IQ or defensive game are still early as his 27 NCAA games in his career so far aren't even a full season worth since Harris played 39 in his first year.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking. Hard to say how skilled he really is or how translatable it is. That's a question mark for me.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I like the McAvoy comp @WeThreeKings made. I see Struble as the biggest wildcard in the organization. Guy could be an absolute stud, just buzzing around, laying people out and making plays.

When I look at our two NU defensemen, I think Harris has a higher floor but Struble has a higher ceiling.

edit: I wish we would’ve been able to watch him at the WJC, but the injury hurt his shot at making the team.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'll keep saying it, he's our best prospect. Not our safest prospect, but our best prospect.

I define best prospect as whoever has the highest ceiling.

This guy could win Norris trophies. I don't see any of our other prospects being capable of winning any individual trophies, except maybe Primeau who could win a Vezina (but goalies are such wild cards onto themselves, even in the NHL). Romanov and Harris won't win Norris trophies (but they can still be very good obviously).

Maybe Caufield could win a Rocket in an era without any Ovechkin around, but not holding my breath.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
I'll keep saying it, he's our best prospect. Not our safest prospect, but our best prospect.

I define best prospect as whoever has the highest ceiling.

This guy could win Norris trophies. I don't see any of our other prospects being capable of winning any individual trophies, except maybe Primeau who could win a Vezina (but goalies are such wild cards onto themselves, even in the NHL). Romanov and Harris won't win Norris trophies (but they can still be very good obviously).

Maybe Caufield could win a Rocket in an era without any Ovechkin around, but not holding my breath.
If it's about the ceiling i agree Struble is right up there with Norlinder (D only)... But Romanov (i am not talking about ceiling anymore but best chance to be an impactful nhler vs best ceiling as an nhler) has the best chance to make it imo and the best chance to make some kind of impact in a game (whether it's on the D or O side is not my point)... I do like Struble as a "wait and see" player, great athlete, +skater, not afraid to take charge, a lot like Romanov in a sense except they take charge in different areas or in a different way

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Reactions: Gyfu and Sagikev

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Looks like Struble is injured again? It's really too bad, I think this kid is our best D prospect but his injuries are worrying me a bit.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Injuries at such a young age esp. ones like torn groins are a huge red flag in terms of what kind of training he is doing or maybe he's just injury prone . This really limits development of a guy who is so green.

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
My father coached him in the little league World Series. He’s always been a freak athlete. Best in the area. I think once he turns pro and gets a taste of “the life” he will thrive. Good kid too. Had a six pack and giant python arms at 12 years old it was honestly funny as hell

edit: it is always wild seeing his name on this board. He’s my little brothers good friend and literally called my dad when he got drafted. ( dads obviously a huge habs fan)

this is the second time this happened. Matthieu Schneider played for my father and grandfather in high school and was drafted by their favorite team! And brought the cup to my grandfathers house

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Injuries at such a young age esp. ones like torn groins are a huge red flag in terms of what kind of training he is doing or maybe he's just injury prone . This really limits development of a guy who is so green.

Torn groins indicate too much bulk and not enough core strength. Hope he finds the right trainer.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Struble was playing amazing form a stat watching perspective until he injured himself with 11 pts in 10 hames. Unfortunately, he went out with zero pts in 7 games following his injury.

I haven't seen any of the games, so can someone who has let me know if he was just unlucky or if he looked bad following is return?

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Struble was playing amazing form a stat watching perspective until he injured himself with 11 pts in 10 hames. Unfortunately, he went out with zero pts in 7 games following his injury.

I haven't seen any of the games, so can someone who has let me know if he was just unlucky or if he looked bad following is return?
He looked fine in the highlight clips montreal posted last game. Dominant, really.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Reactions: Gyfu and Eegs

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal

I've been looking at most of your videos you've posted a year long, thanks it's amazing to have access to our prospect like that. However it is hard to get a real read on how the player is doing in those highlights if he is not scoring, can you let me know if he was playing out of his mind the first 10 games and landed back to earth after the injury or if the injury is what slowed him the last 7 games?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
When watching highlights of Struble, the way he moves around the ice reminds me so much of a young Subban.

yes, that's what he reminds me of as they both have the compact frame.

I've been looking at most of your videos you've posted a year long, thanks it's amazing to have access to our prospect like that. However it is hard to get a real read on how the player is doing in those highlights if he is not scoring, can you let me know if he was playing out of his mind the first 10 games and landed back to earth after the injury or if the injury is what slowed him the last 7 games?

glad you like the vids!

So his season he's been 2nd fiddle to Harris all season long as Harris is the top LD and Struble the 2nd LD, same goes for the PP. Harris gets a good bit more PP time and overall TOI, yet Struble was right there with him in terms of points and Harris has been one of the best D's in the NCAA this year.

Clearly he's been impacted by missing time to all these injuries, but he's got 21 pts in 38 career games, which if you look at last season's U-20 blueliners that would have put him among the best in the league with Harris who had 21 in 33. Now he would have played 2-3-4 more games then the others but it shows his numbers stack up and that's with getting 0 pts in 5 since returning from injury.

He's toned down the physical play and is making better choices there, the goal scoring is a bit troubling as you would hope for more then 2 goals this year after getting 3 last year but he can fire the puck so I think it will bounce back next year if he can stay healthy.

Since he came back from injury he was struggling up until the last game so hopefully he can build off that for the playoffs.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
When watching highlights of Struble, the way he moves around the ice reminds me so much of a young Subban.
that rush at the 50 sec mark is a textbook Subban rush from his rookie year. If only Therrien cultivated Subban's offensive game rather than destroying it, he would be a different player imo. Could you imagine if a coach like Ducharme had a rookie Subban on his team? Subban would be an offensive dynamo by now

Reactions: Eegs and montreal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad