Prospect Info: Jayden Struble, LD, St. Sebastians, Pick 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
that rush at the 50 sec mark is a textbook Subban rush from his rookie year. If only Therrien cultivated Subban's offensive game rather than destroying it, he would be a different player imo. Could you imagine if a coach like Ducharme had a rookie Subban on his team? Subban would be an offensive dynamo by now
The idea that poor coaching had anything to do with Subban’s transformation from a mobile defenceman to a largely immobile one is a complete canard. Subban was the author of his own ‘misfortune’ by choosing to bulk up and robbing himself of his above average mobility. Coaching, injuries or Vonn had nothing to do with his transformation from a dominant on ice presence to his comparatively inconsequential status today. Let us hope that Struble doesn’t follow a similar path.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
The idea that poor coaching had anything to do with Subban’s transformation from a mobile defenceman to a largely immobile one is a complete canard. Subban was the author of his own ‘misfortune’ by choosing to bulk up and robbing himself of his above average mobility. Coaching, injuries or Vonn had nothing to do with his transformation from a dominant on ice presence to his comparatively inconsequential status today. Let us hope that Struble doesn’t follow a similar path.
I think Subban bulked up the way he did because the coaching staff wanted him to play a physical shutdown defensive game with a booming shot rather than developing him into a 2way/offensive PMD. It's like they wanted him to be a Weber clone so they just traded for the real thing instead. Subban should've been developed using the Karlsson mold imo, but what do I know right, just talking out of my "you know what" hehe

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think Subban bulked up the way he did because the coaching staff wanted him to play a physical shutdown defensive game with a booming shot rather than developing him into a 2way/offensive PMD. It's like they wanted him to be a Weber clone so they just traded for the real thing instead. Subban should've been developed using the Karlsson mold imo, but what do I know right, just talking out of my "you know what" hehe

This makes sense.

Plus the game was much more physical then. He himself wanted to excel in that department because he wanted to be good at everything.

Reactions: FLHabs

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
As Gord Miller said he was told by scouts & GM at 2007 draft, there were serious concerns about Subban’s skating & lack of acceleration which was the only reason he wasn’t a 1st round pick.

Subban never had straight line speed as the league became faster & faster, it simply exposed Subban who was never exceptional is DZone IQ and positioning to begin with, thus couldn’t compensate

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
As Gord Miller said he was told by scouts & GM at 2007 draft, there were serious concerns about Subban’s skating & lack of acceleration which was the only reason he wasn’t a 1st round pick.

Subban never had straight line speed as the league became faster & faster, it simply exposed Subban who was never exceptional is DZone IQ and positioning to begin with, thus couldn’t compensate

Agreed. Subban’s skating strength was his agility, certainly not his straight line speed.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017

Agreed. Subban’s skating strength was his agility, certainly not his straight line speed.
Yea I agree with that, PK was never a burner, agility and being hard to knock off the puck have always been his game. Hughes isn't a burner neither though, but the agility is there, and the offensive IQ of course. I just feel like with a different coaching staff maybe Subban could've been more... But enough with the past lol this is a Struble thread, and the future looks promising in terms of his development hehe

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I remember a comment from a guy on the Nashville board, not long after PK started playing for them, saying that he thought Subban was a faster skater. Either his skating was already on the decline, or the league started to speed up that year.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
I remember a comment from a guy on the Nashville board, not long after PK started playing for them, saying that he thought Subban was a faster skater. Either his skating was already on the decline, or the league started to speed up that year.

Struble seems smarter than Subban, but he sure didn't look thrilled to be drafted by the Habs. I think that's an issue for some US born players. Got the same vibe from Poehling and Tuch when they were picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad