Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
as far as yager is concerned he wants to be the next Ron Frances. he wants to 1. play on the pp, 2, play on the pk, 3. have the coach put him out to take the faceoff in our zone with less than 60 sec, to go with a one goal lead. ect.
That’s Jeff Carter, not Ron Francis

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If anyone is sure to ruin a prospect and his confidence it’s Mike Sullivan…so glad we have him with us forever to mold our future “stars”

Reactions: SEALBound

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yager’s not a Bedard that’s gonna make it on talent alone, but being a righty, decent on FOs, relatively mature defensively already I’d say, I think that bodes well. He’ll get minutes if he’s not a liability and by virtue of playing minutes he’ll get chances and points. And that’s just an NHL thing, not specific to Sullivan.

Will also certainly help if his powerplay abilities translate up the ladder too, again especially as a righty, there’s always a spot open for a righty on NHL powerplays.

And I think that was the appeal when they drafted him: Skill is there, but it’s not overwhelming, and there’s some maturity to his game. No glaring weaknesses, just needs to develop a little more of everything.

All the more reason not to rush him. If he’s ready he’s ready but if not send him back and tell him to play away from the puck like he’s in the NHL. Stops and starts, hard in the corners, etc. And keep working on faceoffs.

AHL would be cool because we can not only pay more attention to those details but we can also limit his games to make sure he’s not wasting away or playing just junk minutes. Maybe do what Anaheim did with Carlsson where you hold him out of back-to-backs since strength and muscle is also a priority. Tocchet did that with Stamkos a bit in his rookie year too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think he is better than what was projected. One thing I look at is his ability to put the puck where he intended it to go. Quick release and hard heavy shot mean zip if you have no real control on where it is going. Watch him and he knows where to put the puck on his shot. With added strength and size, he can be a good number 2 center in time. One player not mentioned much is the LW from Russia who had the neck injury. He had a nice bounce back year. He has good size and I think can be a top 6 LW in a couple years.

Why do you think he is better than projected?

His play this year according to anyone is largely being driven by Firkus. He’s a good player and I think he’ll be a good complimentary top 9 NHL forward at worse which is a great pull for where we drafted him especially if he hits his potential which is a complimentary top six winger.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

His play this year according to anyone is largely being driven by Firkus. He’s a good player and I think he’ll be a good complimentary top 9 NHL forward at worse which is a great pull for where we drafted him especially if he hits his potential which is a complimentary top six winger.

I think Firkus is a huge part, but Yager still has 10 g in 14 playoff games. He also is 6 months to a year younger than most of moose jaw. Also Yager is relied on more for other things like faceoffs and PK. I dont know if Firkus is on the PK.

His is developing well. If he can turn into a 40g complimentary top six winger that would be a great get for a #14 pick. I think next year once he is relied on more will be most telling

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Firkus is a huge part, but Yager still has 10 g in 14 playoff games. He also is 6 months to a year younger than most of moose jaw. Also Yager is relied on more for other things like faceoffs and PK. I dont know if Firkus is on the PK.

His is developing well. If he can turn into a 40g complimentary top six winger that would be a great get for a #14 pick. I think next year once he is relied on more will be most telling
Can’t discount his WJC performance too. Firkus was in the press box, Yager was 2nd (I think?) in team scoring. And he was probably 50/50 on even making the team. He’s still eligible next year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Yeah, I’m not upset at all about the pick and he was exactly who I would have taken after Benson went.

I just think people are getting insanely ahead of themselves comparing him to light beer MacKinnon or Brayden Point. I just don’t see that in his game at all. And that’s not really meant to be a negative.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It is interesting that Dubas seemed to allude to it being a possibility that Yager could make the team with a good camp/off season.

That seems way early for him to be making that big a jump.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
It is interesting that Dubas seemed to allude to it being a possibility that Yager could make the team with a good camp/off season.

That seems way early for him to be making that big a jump.

If he makes it, it will be because of his shot. This team lacks finish and his shot is pretty NHL ready. He isn't that small either. Put him on wing and limited his icetime.

I think Yager can play in the NHL.

The issue is his role.

You have to move smith and/or rakell to give him a spot. He will need to be in a position to succeed in the top 9. If Sullivan puts him as the 4th line RW you send him far away from Sully. I would try him as the trigger man for Geno. That line sees less ictime and you have Bunting to take the abuse.

Doc - Sid - Rust
Bunting - Geno - Yager

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
If he makes it, it will be because of his shot. This team lacks finish and his shot is pretty NHL ready. He isn't that small either. Put him on wing and limited his icetime.

You have to move smith and/or rakell to give him a spot. He will need to be in a position to succeed in the top 9. If Sullivan puts him as the 4th line RW you send him far away from Sully. I would try him as the trigger man for Geno. That line sees less ictime and you have Bunting to take the abuse.

Doc - Sid - Rust
Bunting - Geno - Yager
That could work if the bottom 6 is filled out correctly so they can roll 4 lines giving 87/71 more rest.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Doc - Sid - Rust
Bunting - Geno - Yager

I don’t think I would play him in the top six. He’d like be a 3C who is insulated. Issue is our bottom six can’t really do that.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I don’t think I would play him in the top six. He’d like be a 3C who is insulated. Issue is our bottom six can’t really do that.

I wouldnt start him at center. Poulin should be the 3C over him. But ya bottom six and coach are bigger issue for both of them.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

That seems way early for him to be making that big jump
i was disappointed he didn't put on more weight this last year.
edit; he was/is a home run swing. (and still is)

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think Yager can play in the NHL.

The issue is his role.
Honestly I don't know that I believe that a guy can be ruined by misuse by the coaching staff. I think if Yager is good it will show regardless of how Sullivan uses him.

That said, I'd hate to see him get called up and be misused.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Honestly I don't know that I believe that a guy can be ruined by misuse by the coaching staff. I think if Yager is good it will show regardless of how Sullivan uses him.

That said, I'd hate to see him get called up and be misused.

This is how the Pens got Justin Schultz to pick one example. I'm not awake enough to think of other examples but I'm sure people will have a bunch of others. Guys getting put in the wrong spot can do a bunch of damage.

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Firkus is driving Yager's play but Yager is also helping drive Firkus's play. This isn't an Colby Armstrong and Andy Hilbert clinging to Sid's wing circa 2007. These are two high round picks dominating together late in their WHL careers. It's foolish to suggest that Yager is only doing well because of Firkus.

That doesn't mean Yager is poised to be an instant dominant 1C but I would suggest that he has a higher ceiling than you are suggesting. But he's a Dubas pick so I get your bias.

Doc - Sid - Rust
Bunting - Geno - Yager
First 5 games of the season, this is what should be run provided we don't sign any major top 6 wings. Put him in the best situation to succeed and I think that is easily accomplished being Malkin's RW.

This is how the Pens got Justin Schultz to pick one example. I'm not awake enough to think of other examples but I'm sure people will have a bunch of others. Guys getting put in the wrong spot can do a bunch of damage.
Nino Niederreiter. A+ example.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm just going to suggest nobody gets too attached to what Yager is or isn't going to be after one year post draft. Poulin's first year post draft was a stonker. Rust's wasn't. There's a long road for the kid.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Not sure how the entire draft class is but 2025 and 2026 top end looked stacked. McKenna, Martone, Hagens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad