Prospect Info: Jayden Struble, LD, St. Sebastians, Pick 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Struble to me reminds me of Subban when he was 18. Who knows if he stays on that path of development

Struble is a much better skater but has not displayed the flair and creativity that Subban had ........not that many could.

There are some similarities as they were both raw talents when drafted but I am not crazy about that comparison as Subban is almost washed up as his mediocre foot speed dropped a level and he is now a liability. Struble is not lilkely to win a Norris (Subban should not have won either) but I think he has the potential to play at a high level for longer than Subban could. P.K. is a very unique talent that is very difficult to draw past/present/ future comparables to.

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
While I never miss a Habs game I must admit I dont follow the prospects outside of the top picks much so enjoy reading the informative posts from fellow habs fans on our prospects. Glad to hear we have another prospect that is doing well.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Be careful not to confuse lack of hockey IQ with getting accustomed to a game played at higher speed. There is a learning process to be made there. Also, a player need to be judged with proper context in mind, the kid turned 18 just four months ago. Normally, a D takes more time to develop, so given his age, he is very early in his development curve.

This is essentially what I was eluding to. There just isn't any way of knowing what this kids mental capacity for the game is at this point in his development due to all of the variables in play. As Montreal stated, "there are some red flags"..........only time will tell if those flags are due to lack of experience or something more serious.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
according to who? people who didnt know him? Struble has always been extremely talented, He would have been easily a first round pick if he played in the CHL or USHL.
Most people didn't know him so yes he was an unknown to a large degree and with a guy who's that raw the learning curve could be long. So he has exceeded expectations in that in a short period of time he's had rapid progress.
But in order to be an NHL player that progress cannot plateau. That's why , while remaining optimistic, he has a long way to go. But you've got to love his attributes.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Most people didn't know him so yes he was an unknown to a large degree and with a guy who's that raw the learning curve could be long. So he has exceeded expectations in that in a short period of time he's had rapid progress.
But in order to be an NHL player that progress cannot plateau. That's why , while remaining optimistic, he has a long way to go. But you've got to love his attributes.

that goes to every single prospect not named crosby/mcdavid/ovechkin/dahlin/matthews/eichel etc... just depends how you view them, draft pedigree shouldn’t affect that, it’s only a number, i had Struble with a high % top4 to top pairing potential before the draft! He’s doing exacly what i thought he would do. He’s a modern days Dman with physical tools! Being a high school kid realy hurted his ranking and thats perfect for Montreal.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
that goes to every single prospect not named crosby/mcdavid/ovechkin/dahlin/matthews/eichel etc... just depends how you view them, draft pedigree shouldn’t affect that, it’s only a number, i had Struble with a high % top4 to top pairing potential before the draft! He’s doing exacly what i thought he would do. He’s a modern days Dman with physical tools! Being a high school kid realy hurted his ranking and thats perfect for Montreal.
That's simply not true. Certain leagues get more coverage and GM's have more confidence picking up players from those leagues. It's an easier measuring stick in viewing that player. I'm pretty sure Struble was viewed with some trepidation because of the league he was in.
You were very astute to pick up on Struble.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
That's simply not true. Certain leagues get more coverage and GM's have more confidence picking up players from those leagues. It's an easier measuring stick in viewing that player. I'm pretty sure Struble was viewed with some trepidation because of the league he was in.
You were very astute to pick up on Struble.
Wich is what i’ve been saying... he was a victim of the league he played in, doesn’t affect one bit his talent. It’s stupid to pass over a player simply because he plays in a lesser league, you have to watch the guy, analyse his abilities and see the potential and in your opinion translate to other league and how he projects to be if his current curve keeps progressing. while doing that o felt Struble was a first round talent and it’s currently proving it right now, his development could stagger or BOOM even more but so far he’s exactly where i saw him before the draft.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Struble is a much better skater but has not displayed the flair and creativity that Subban had ........not that many could.

There are some similarities as they were both raw talents when drafted but I am not crazy about that comparison as Subban is almost washed up as his mediocre foot speed dropped a level and he is now a liability. Struble is not lilkely to win a Norris (Subban should not have won either) but I think he has the potential to play at a high level for longer than Subban could. P.K. is a very unique talent that is very difficult to draw past/present/ future comparables to.

Subban pre draft and draft +1 and +2 was an awesome skater IMO. If Strubble has a Subban path, I think we will be happy

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Subban pre draft and draft +1 and +2 was an awesome skater IMO. If Strubble has a Subban path, I think we will be happy

If our random 2nd round crapshoot pick eventually wins the Norris, we will be happy. I applaud you for going out on a limb there

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If our random 2nd round crapshoot pick eventually wins the Norris, we will be happy. I applaud you for going out on a limb there

I don't expect him to turn into Subban but at this point in time, he does remind me of Subban at the age of 18. Things change quick from season to season though. And I am very curious to see the gains Struble has moving forward. Jumping from high school to NCAA at 18 this year was a big jump for him and he's been gaining progression as the season went along.

Very curious to see where he stands at 19/20 ish. He could have massive gains or stall years. Hunger to improve is on him.

Reactions: dralaf

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Wich is what i’ve been saying... he was a victim of the league he played in, doesn’t affect one bit his talent. It’s stupid to pass over a player simply because he plays in a lesser league, you have to watch the guy, analyse his abilities and see the potential and in your opinion translate to other league and how he projects to be if his current curve keeps progressing. while doing that o felt Struble was a first round talent and it’s currently proving it right now, his development could stagger or BOOM even more but so far he’s exactly where i saw him before the draft.
He's not where you saw him before the draft . His game has changed immensely.
At the beginning of the year he really struggled with his game. He still thought he was in prep school, slowly taking the puck out of the zone. Now he leads the team in controlled exit percentage and breakout pass accuracy under pressure, by sizable margins. And that's saying a lot considering Harris is on the team. He leads the team in rushes broken up in the neutral zone and is a lot better at retrievals, another area of struggle at the beginning of the year. His expected goals per 60 minutes is more then double the next D on the team.
He wasn't showing anything at the beginning of the year, which is not a surprise considering where he was coming from. But he's adapted so well, which can go either way , hence the trepidation to draft a raw kid so high.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
He's not where you saw him before the draft . His game has changed immensely.
At the beginning of the year he really struggled with his game. He still thought he was in prep school, slowly taking the puck out of the zone. Now he leads the team in controlled exit percentage and breakout pass accuracy under pressure, by sizable margins. And that's saying a lot considering Harris is on the team. He leads the team in rushes broken up in the neutral zone and is a lot better at retrievals, another area of struggle at the beginning of the year. His expected goals per 60 minutes is more then double the next D on the team.
He wasn't showing anything at the beginning of the year, which is not a surprise considering where he was coming from. But he's adapted so well, which can go either way , hence the trepidation to draft a raw kid so high.
lol who are you to tell me it's not how i saw him or his projection to be pre-draft? there's a reason why i had the kid as a first round pick. i don't know what you are trying to say, you go on and talk about how i didn't see him like that pre-draft and then proceed to say he wasn't playing like this at the beginning, wich is 2 completely different thing, like you mentionned bellow, it's called adaptation. He showed high end skills, big offensive upside, great skater and physicality, What he did on the ice even in high school was a type of hockey i saw translating to the other level with top pairing potential. Only thing i didn't like about his game was he threw his body around way too much and getting himself out of the play trying to go for big hits, Wich is a easy coachable thing to fix because beside that he was pretty good defensively. My stand still stands, hate it or love it. Struble would have been a first round pick playing at the Junior level.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Subban never was fast......well documented weakness that kept him out of the first round. His speed is one of the biggest myths on this board. He would rush the puck while the other team was standing still but was consistently destroyed in races back to his own end. He has now lost a step and is downright slow. He was always strong on his edges but straight ahead.......one of the ugliest skaters in the league.

Struble is much faster than Subban ever was but the jury is out on his mental game.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Subban never was fast......well documented weakness that kept him out of the first round. His speed is one of the biggest myths on this board. He would rush the puck while the other team was standing still but was consistently destroyed in races back to his own end. He has now lost a step and is downright slow. He was always strong on his edges but straight ahead.......one of the ugliest skaters in the league.

Struble is much faster than Subban ever was but the jury is out on his mental game.

Well, He certainly looked like one of the best skaters on the ice at 19 in the WJC. That's when I first started to notice him and his potential. Sorry man, Subban was a very good skater. Maybe you are talking about pre-draft vs how he approved in his draft +1 and +2

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
lol who are you to tell me it's not how i saw him or his projection to be pre-draft? there's a reason why i had the kid as a first round pick. i don't know what you are trying to say, you go on and talk about how i didn't see him like that pre-draft and then proceed to say he wasn't playing like this at the beginning, wich is 2 completely different thing, like you mentionned bellow, it's called adaptation. He showed high end skills, big offensive upside, great skater and physicality, What he did on the ice even in high school was a type of hockey i saw translating to the other level with top pairing potential. Only thing i didn't like about his game was he threw his body around way too much and getting himself out of the play trying to go for big hits, Wich is a easy coachable thing to fix because beside that he was pretty good defensively. My stand still stands, hate it or love it. Struble would have been a first round pick playing at the Junior level.
you're misunderstanding things here. It's clear you saw the talent pre draft. That's your call. What you said is you were seeing the same thing all the time and that's where I question you. He was not that good at the beginning of the season. Which was to be expected. But he's come a long way and leading the team in many categories now.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
you're misunderstanding things here. It's clear you saw the talent pre draft. That's your call. What you said is you were seeing the same thing all the time and that's where I question you. He was not that good at the beginning of the season. Which was to be expected. But he's come a long way and leading the team in many categories now.
The point is i have never said anything about early season vs now, i’m talking about his the game he played in highschool vs how he plays now, he’s doing the same thing now in the NCAA, most project go into adaptation for a couple of game in any league you switch to, they slowly get comfortable and play their usual game, it’s a matter of, do you think his game translate or not and everything screamed he would translate or else i wouldn’t have him that high!

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
The point is i have never said anything about early season vs now, i’m talking about his the game he played in highschool vs how he plays now, he’s doing the same thing now in the NCAA, most project go into adaptation for a couple of game in any league you switch to, they slowly get comfortable and play their usual game, it’s a matter of, do you think his game translate or not and everything screamed he would translate or else i wouldn’t have him that high!
I disagree with you. He started the year very slowly. And he's adapted which is great. But that's the issue with guys that play in weaker leagues pre-draft. Can they raise there game. It's legit concerns.
You said he's playing the same way but he wasn't .

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I disagree with you. He started the year very slowly. And he's adapted which is great. But that's the issue with guys that play in weaker leagues pre-draft. Can they raise there game. It's legit concerns.
You said he's playing the same way but he wasn't .
do you even read???? HE'S NOW PLAYING THE SAME TYPE OF GAME HE PLAYED IN HIGH SCHOOL. it's normal to have a period of adaptation when you jump a big tier league wise, it happens to almost every single prospect, look at Boldy, look at every guy who jumps from junior to the AHL, watch every single prospect who jumps to the NHL, they almost ALL of them have slow start until they find their pace and be comfortable playing THEIR game.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

I noticed that too. He seemed fast with the puck, but not without it. I agree with your observations

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Well, He certainly looked like one of the best skaters on the ice at 19 in the WJC. That's when I first started to notice him and his potential. Sorry man, Subban was a very good skater. Maybe you are talking about pre-draft vs how he approved in his draft +1 and +2

Always a great skater, never blazing fast

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He was always slow....don't know what else to say.....

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We'll see how he finishes the year as this time of year is when the NCAA has the toughest part in their schedule so I look forward to seeing him in the playoffs and hopefully the NCAA tournament.

If you compare him to Harris last year, since they both played in the Northeastern Prep league, you can see how far ahead Struble is in terms of physical strength, taking the body and offense but Harris just was so far ahead of him in terms of his defensive play, poise. To think that from the first game of the season, Harris was on the top pairing and on his off-side while like Struble having just recently turned 18 before the season started.

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
He was always slow....don't know what else to say.....

I remember clearly that in his first camp there were videos of him going around and he looked agile as hell. Like above and beyond a normal NHLer, so there's that for a start. Then, I remember him making those insane rushes when he got to first play with us in the playoff. He was very fast, no question about that. He wasn't McDavid, but nobody was at that time. I think it didn't materialize as much as it could have if he would have been left to do his own thing like Karlsson in Ottawa. He got slower as the years passed, but got better defensively.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I remember clearly that in his first camp there were videos of him going around and he looked agile as hell. Like above and beyond a normal NHLer, so there's that for a start. Then, I remember him making those insane rushes when he got to first play with us in the playoff. He was very fast, no question about that. He wasn't McDavid, but nobody was at that time. I think it didn't materialize as much as it could have if he would have been left to do his own thing like Karlsson in Ottawa. He got slower as the years passed, but got better defensively.

Hah! That's exactly what I was thinking about when i read this conversation!

Reactions: a55p2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad