Player Discussion Jay Beagle

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why indeed? This off-season just about every pundit from Craig Button on down was pleading with the Canucks to fix their awful blueline, So what does Jimbo do? Create the most expensive fourth line in all of hockey....with ridiculous contract terms to boot.

Virtually every other team in the league has an AHL-graduate or a kid on an entry level contract fulfilling the same role on the fourth line. It's ugly and likely to get worse.
We've been down the AHL 4th line experiment (Megna,Chaput,Archibald,Gaunce etc)..It doesn't work..Beagle (along with Sutter) has been a good addition as shutdown centre...Since he has been back in the lineup the team has put up 17 goals in the last 5 games (basically freeing up Bo to play a more offensive role) ...Would be interesting to see what the Canucks record is with/without Beagle in the lineup.?

Last edited:
Reactions: Draino

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jay Beagle is a 33-year old checking center, who's career high in goals is seven and in points, 23. By the time his four-year contract is up, I suspect Jimbo might not be around to reap the bitter fruits.

Of course there probably isn't a single NHL team out there willing to pay that price for essentially a fourth line forward. Certainly the Caps weren't going to buck up. And Nic Dowd, a guy the Canucks opted to let walk, is filling in just fine.

I don't care how good Beagle is in faceoffs or as a penalty-killer. As other posters have pointed out, those kind of roles are usually filled by veterans making somewhere near the league minimum or a young guy on an entry-level contract. Just an awful use of salary-cap assets by the Canucks imo.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
WSH successfully replaced Beagle with 650k 1yr Nic Dowd.

...who was one of the favorite whipping boys of the naysayers while he was here, just like Yannick Weber was (last game people were castigating Benning for his awful "asset management" regarding Weber but I remember many pleas to get rid of him even on waivers if need be). I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill...

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Jay Beagle is a 33-year old checking center, who's career high in goals is seven and in points, 23. By the time his four-year contract is up, I suspect Jimbo might not be around to reap the bitter fruits.

Of course there probably isn't a single NHL team out there willing to pay that price for essentially a fourth line forward. Certainly the Caps weren't going to buck up. And Nic Dowd, a guy the Canucks opted to let walk, is filling in just fine.

I don't care how good Beagle is in faceoffs or as a penalty-killer. As other posters have pointed out, those kind of roles are usually filled by veterans making somewhere near the league minimum or a young guy on an entry-level contract. Just an awful use of salary-cap assets by the Canucks imo.
Jay Beagle is a solid NHL 4th line player, there were quite a few teams who were vying for his services in the summer..If you think that a 4th line consisting of waiver wire/AHL players is a better idea..then go nuts.

Dhaliwal:...Beagle update : #Canucks still in mix but price and term keeps going up and up because so many teams involved. Not done to Vancouver.
3:48 PM - Jun 29, 2018

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Jay Beagle is a solid NHL 4th line player, there were quite a few teams who were vying for his services in the summer..If you think that a 4th line consisting of waiver wire/AHL players is a better idea..then go nuts.

Dhaliwal:...Beagle update : #Canucks still in mix but price and term keeps going up and up because so many teams involved. Not done to Vancouver.

Benning should of known when to walk away.

Var

Nov 10, 2007

This sounds accurate. Sounds like people undervalue role players on the team.

Like there's always a good number of defensive zone faceoffs and you simply need someone like Beagle. I don't understand how anyone can build up a desire to get rid of this guy. Is this a #loseforhughes thing?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Like there's always a good number of defensive zone faceoffs and you simply need someone like Beagle. I don't understand how anyone can build up a desire to get rid of this guy. Is this a #loseforhughes thing?
Must just be purely a coincidence that since his return to the lineup we've only had one outright loss in 6 games...and scored 24 goals.(15 against)...

We're a much better team with him in the lineup...Pretty funny all those naysayers who said he wouldn't make a lick of difference on his return.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
...who was one of the favorite whipping boys of the naysayers while he was here, just like Yannick Weber was (last game people were castigating Benning for his awful "asset management" regarding Weber but I remember many pleas to get rid of him even on waivers if need be). I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill...

Not the same. Not that I agreed with them. Just not a logical comparison you are making.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
:thumbu:

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Must just be purely a coincidence that since his return to the lineup we've only had one outright loss in 6 games...and scored 24 goals.(15 against)...

We're a much better team with him in the lineup...Pretty funny all those naysayers who said he wouldn't make a lick of difference on his return.

Haven't checked his deployment however it is interesting that the team's offence is firing on all cylinders again. Some of this is definitely coincidental however due to the team playing god awful teams with atrocious goaltending such as St. Louis and Philly.

I disliked this signing mainly due to the 4th year, and still do, but he has been a bit better than expected / advertised. That being said I wish the team would've targeted a guy like Kruger for that 4th line centre role as opposed to Beagle.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
We've been down the AHL 4th line experiment (Megna,Chaput,Archibald,Gaunce etc)..It doesn't work..

Gaunce and Archibald were completely serviceable 4th line players last year. They took hard assignments and churned through tough minutes effectively. For extremely cheap and no long term commitment.

Reactions: Hit the post

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Haven't checked his deployment however it is interesting that the team's offence is firing on all cylinders again. Some of this is definitely coincidental however due to the team playing god awful teams with atrocious goaltending such as St. Louis and Philly.

I disliked this signing mainly due to the 4th year, and still do, but he has been a bit better than expected / advertised. That being said I wish the team would've targeted a guy like Kruger for that 4th line centre role as opposed to Beagle.
What it more comes down to, is everybody starting to play in their designated spots, and the lineup being more well balanced..No more Bo,taking all the dzone draws, and being the shutdown centre,...No more Schaller on the first line.

Beagle was a great choice for the Canucks to target..the only downside was the length of his contract.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Gaunce and Archibald were completely serviceable 4th line players last year. They took hard assignments and churned through tough minutes effectively. For extremely cheap and no long term commitment.
They're AHL players that pass through waivers constantly..yes,they are cheap.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

Do you really think Beagle is responsible for the increase in offence? I do like that Bo doesn't have to take every faceoff but, his production hasn't gone up or down since Beagle's return.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Do you really think Beagle is responsible for the increase in offence? I do like that Bo doesn't have to take every faceoff but, his production hasn't gone up or down since Beagle's return.
Yes,..having Beagle back in that spot has a trickle down effect on the whole roster.(we had both shutdown centers out in that horrendous losing streak)..Since we've been on this undefeated streak Beagle (and Leivo) has been the only difference in the lineup.

Canucks are 7-3-1 with beagle in the lineup.

Last edited:

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Beagle is better than they are. You can argue Benning shouldn't have paid 12m for him, but saying other players are "serviceable," "filling in just fine," etc is meaningless.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Yes,..having Beagle back in that spot has a trickle down effect on the whole roster.(we had both shutdown centers out in that horrendous losing streak)..Since we've been on this undefeated streak Beagle has been the only difference in the lineup.

Canucks are 7-3-1 with beagle in the lineup.

In that stretch Pettersson has had a five point game and there have been a lot lucky bounces. Just because Beagle is 1 of 2 players to come into the line up( Leivo), doesn't mean he is solely responsible for the turn around. All players will be motivated after going on a losing streak like that.

That is the definition of a short sample size. I am not saying I agree or disagree with you, I just want a bigger sample size to see if it's a coincidence. In 20-30 games you are still right feel free to tell me I told you so.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009

It's a "they gave a 33 year old way too much money and term" thing. I don't think many people have an issue with his play in a vacuum.

His closest comparables in free agency were Richardson and Brodziak. Both got half the term and half the money to play the same role. Benning should've walk away when the negotiations shifted to a 4 year contract.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Why indeed? This off-season just about every pundit from Craig Button on down was pleading with the Canucks to fix their awful blueline, So what does Jimbo do? Create the most expensive fourth line in all of hockey....with ridiculous contract terms to boot.

Virtually every other team in the league has an AHL-graduate or a kid on an entry level contract fulfilling the same role on the fourth line. It's ugly and likely to get worse.

Virtually every other team in the league has kids able to play a 4th line role because virtually every other team was able to successfully draft them between 2008-2013. We weren’t so you’re comparing apples and oranges.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
To me, he has been the Jay Beagle he has always been. That is to say, a premium fourth line checking center. Nothing more, and nothing less. Now, why on earth you would give up so much cash and term for a such player? That is a question I'm afraid I can't answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad