Rumor: Jason Zucker being “shopped heavily”

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I've heard this talked about before with NTC's, never with NMC's. Not sure I have ever actually seen it come to fruition. Doesn't make sense to me though in theory. It's a part of a written contract, usually you don't get to just disregard those things.

But the player has to agree to waive the clause for the initial trade to go through. So whether that waiver is for a single transaction or the rest of the deal depends entirely on how it's written.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Robby Fabbri, who I love, but would be okay with dealing for Zucker.

How about a base of him and Walman+pick?

The same Robby Fabbri whose career is basically over at this point because he has no knees left?

Or is it a different Robby Fabbri?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
But the player has to agree to waive the clause for the initial trade to go through. So whether that waiver is for a single transaction for the rest of the deal depends entirely on how it's written by the lawyers.
Yes. But why would the player ever agree to do that?

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Really? Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov, Nurse, Puljujarvi. Those guys have Edmonton going where you want to be?

Draisaitl and McDavid dont exist I guess. Hall, RNH and Nurse are quality players. What exactly are you trying to prove here?

How far back are we going here?

Gagner was meh
Eberle was a decent offensive player whom you ultimately ended up trading for... Gagner?
Paajarvi was a bust
Hall was the arguably the second best pick you've made in the last decade and you traded him for a second pairing defenseman
Nugent Hopkins is a fine second line center
Yakupov was a bust
Nurse is a fine second pairing defenseman but considering some of the guys drafted behind him it's a little disappointing
Draisaitl
McDavid
Puljujarvi is basically a bust, and if he isn't he still wants out of Edmonton because of how you've handled him
Yamamoto is nothing special

So that's 11 picks. 3 of them (McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH) are good players for your team. 1 (Nurse) is fine but not what you'd hoped for. 3 (Paajarvi, Yakupov, Puljujarvi) are straight up busts. 2 (Gagner, Yamamoto) are nothing special players (one of those having been traded away and now reacquired as an AHL player), and the other 2 (Hall, Eberle) were traded away for extremely underwhelming returns.

Not really a great history of drafting and developing first rounders considering how high most of those picks were.

Not sure this write up was necessary. I never claimed we were great at drafting or developing I was responding to a poster who said most of our top picks bust, which is false. You also missed Klefbom.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I'd prefer somebody with a little less of an injury history. Anybody who you'd be a little less ok with dealing?

Maybe Sammy Blais instead if you’re looking at NHL ready top 9 guys. He’d have more ice time with us if we didn’t have so much waiver eligible depth.

The same Robby Fabbri whose career is basically over at this point because he has no knees left?

Or is it a different Robby Fabbri?

This isn’t true. He was starting to finally look good, and he weirdly injured his shoulder on a check. Got healthy, but we were on a long winning streak so Berube didn’t tinker with the lineup. He’s looked really good since he’s been back in the lineup though. The speed is still there. I’d absolutely bet on him being a top 6 player next season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yes. But why would the player ever agree to do that?

The standard practice seems to be that they are ok with it, I'd guess because the general intention of such clauses has been to keep players where they signed the deal originally, rather than to keep maximum control over their careers. Plus many teams have respected such clauses after receiving players that held them in trade, even though they had the option not to. So there seems to be a lot of good-faith with such clauses going on. Whether that is due to some intricacies of the NHL CBA or just current NHL norms, I don't know :dunno:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Draisaitl and McDavid dont exist I guess. Hall, RNH and Nurse are quality players. What exactly are you trying to prove here?

Not sure this write up was necessary. I never claimed we were great at drafting or developing I was responding to a poster who said most of our top picks bust, which is false. You also missed Klefbom.
McDavid and Draisaitl are great players. Congratulations on all the hard work it must've taken to find McDavid. Hall was a 1st overall that Edmonton managed to turn into a 2nd pair Dman. Nurse is a below average 2nd pair player. Nugent-hopkins is having a career year mainly because of Mcdavid, but before this season he was a 1st overall that Edmonton developed into a solid at best 2nd liner.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Maybe Sammy Blais instead if you’re looking at NHL ready top 9 guys. He’d have more ice time with us if we didn’t have so much waiver eligible depth.

I wouldn't be too picky about NHL ready, but I guess Fenton might.

There are a couple names that I'm guessing you don't want to say, which I get, but nothing much else moves the needle, especially when we're talking in-division.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The standard practice seems to be that they are ok with it, I'd guess because the general intention of such clauses has been to keep players where they signed the deal originally, rather than to keep maximum control over their careers. Plus many teams have respected such clauses after receiving players that held them in trade, even though they had the option not to. So there seems to be a lot of good-faith with such clauses going on. Though I don't know if that's due to some intricacies of the NHL CBA or just current NHL norms :dunno:
See, I don't really buy all of that. Players have agents. Agents are lawyers. Lawyers don't do anything on "good faith". Makes no sense for a player to negotiate a NTC and then just throw it away:dunno:

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
McDavid and Draisaitl are great players. Congratulations on all the hard work it must've taken to find McDavid. Hall was a 1st overall that Edmonton managed to turn into a 2nd pair Dman. Nurse is a below average 2nd pair player. Nugent-hopkins is having a career year mainly because of Mcdavid, but before this season he was a 1st overall that Edmonton developed into a solid at best 2nd liner.

So much wrong with those post that I regret even writing this response.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

The point is Edmonton has a demonstrated history of getting very poor value for your first rounders more often than not. Whether you keep them or trade them.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
See, I don't really buy all of that. Players have agents. Agents are lawyers. Lawyers don't do anything on "good faith". Makes no sense for a player to negotiate a NTC and then just throw it away:dunno:

But they do, we've seen teams choose not to respect such clauses before as well. I don't really get it either, which is why I'm guessing it's a quirk of the CBA, but the NHL is a very insular world so they do operate on "old boys club"-rules a lot *shrug*

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What parts are wrong, exactly?

1st Sentence is 100% accurate
2nd sentence is 100% accurate
3rd sentence is 100% accurate unless you don't think Larsson is good enough to be considered 2nd pair?
Nurse comment can be contested I guess
Nugent-Hopkins having a career year is 100% accurate
Nugent-Hopkins being a solid at best 2nd liner before this season seems fair to me
Nugent-Hopkins benefitting from playing with McDavid seems silly to contest?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
But they do, we've seen teams choose not to respect such clauses before as well. I don't really get it either, which is why I'm guessing it's a quirk of the CBA, but the NHL is a very insular world so they do operate on "old boys club"-rules a lot *shrug*
Have we? Do you remember an example?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad