Confirmed with Link: Jason Spezza, Aaron Dell on waivers (UPD: Dell claimed by NJ, Spezza Clears)

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Devils claimed him ... i guess we will see if Dell decides not to go to Jersey for 1 week quarantine ... if not then Devils will put Comrie on waivers and we will likely pick him up ... like i said earlier this becomes a game of rotating goalies around league ... not sure goalies or league really understood what would happen

Devils put Comrie on waivers

Jets claim Comrie and out Forsberg on waivers

Oilers claim Forsberg

Everyones happy except for us.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Devils claimed him ... i guess we will see if Dell decides not to go to Jersey for 1 week quarantine ... if not then Devils will put Comrie on waivers and we will likely pick him up ... like i said earlier this becomes a game of rotating goalies around league ... not sure goalies or league really understood what would happen
How would that work with Comrie if we don't want a 3rd goalie on roster?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Dell wasnt going to get any games in. Hes a mediocre backup goalie. His value to the team is very limited versus Bogo who atleast is playing bottom pairing minutes consistently and a good PKer.

Dell is a nothing loss. A guy like him will be on waivers again and we can pick a player like him up on waivers

Having Bogo he the 6/7/8 is better decision and good managment versus keeping dell who might get 3 or 4 games of Andersen gets hurt
Dell was injury insurance. The best case scenario is you never need him, but the Leafs will wish they do if they have to give Hutchinson games. Bogosian actively hurts the team every game he plays and is probably like the 9th best defenseman in the organization

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Oilers claim Forsberg

That sucks too ... like i said it will be a game of upgrading 3rd string goalers all year long for many teams ... where are we on merry go round right now? ... quite expected

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
What is New Jersey Doing though, they just claimed Comrie? They have 2 goalies on the roster and another on the taxi squad, now they have 2 more in quarantine.

I assume they'll waive Comrie again now and he'll be off to his third team in a week. Taxi squad situation is a disaster for backup/third string goalies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Dell was injury insurance. The best case scenario is you never need him, but the Leafs will wish they do if they have to give Hutchinson games. Bogosian actively hurts the team every game he plays and is probably like the 9th best defenseman in the organization
I dont see Bogo hurting the team at all. Was solid vs the sens in the 2nd game. He wont be a standout but playing bottom pairing minutes he provides similar value to a guy like Ceci who was hated on and we saw how poorly we played when our depth quickly fell off with him+mo and muzzin going down.

He should not he playing every game and be rotating with sandin/lethenon but he still provides value in a role no other player can do for us

Dell really isnt all that great of an upgrade over Hutchinson. We can trade for a 3rd stringer goalie easier than adding a good depth defenseman

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
That is the stupidest thing I have heard so far. Dell would not see the ice unless Andersen or Campbell were injured. With Hutch in the fold as well, and how he played last season once he left and in the playoffs I think we are in good hands as him as the 3rd goaltender.

Only thing that Im surprised in is that Edmonton wasnt called prior to putting him on waivers. He should have been dealt to them for a mid round pick 4th or 5th rounder. They are in a whole lot of hurt if their starter goes down with Smith already placed on LTIR.
Edmonton picked up a goalie Saturday. Are you joking about Hutch. I kinda hope so

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I know Dell isn't some masterclass prospect or secret weapon sleeper backup, but now Hutch is our third and has to use up a taxi spot :facepalm:

Really couldn't have done pretty much anything else to keep 3 goalies on our roster???

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Goaltending depth, we hardly knew ye! Obviously a better opportunity exists for Dell with NJ.

Reactions: uncleben

TiMo15

Nov 8, 2008
Now Spezza is cleared, can he still play with the Leafs with the call up?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Oilers claim Forsberg

1. Leafs call up enough bodies to get them as close to the cap as possible.
  2. Leafs place Robertson on LTIR to get maximum cap relief possible.
  3. Leafs send bodies down to get under salary cap.
  4. Leafs claim the next goaltender who ends up on waivers - probably Comrie from the Devils.
  5. Leafs get 3rd string goalie, and flexibility under the cap
  6. Leafs happy.

Last edited:

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Yep!

Waivers doesn't even have to mean reassignment, he could potentially stay with the Leafs.
But, yes, if they do send him down, then we can call him back up at anytime, cap/roster permitting, and send him back down without another round of waivers until he spends another 30 days or 10 games on the NHL roster, whichever comes first.
So until his cumulative days/games hit those totals, we can now call him up and send him back down as much as we like, which, admittedly, is a little bit of flexibility that is nice to have.

Reactions: Ciao

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Spezza should be in the lineup now that he's cleared waivers. Going with 11F and 7D apparently (Lehtonen is making his debut).

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

I assume that Bogo is our third best RHD and why he is in the lineup. If Bogo is our 9th best dman, Dubas came up short on the D front this offseason.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I suspect Barabanov and Lehtonen both making $925k and Leafs prized UFA KHL signing this summer might be in this equation to replace waived players + the injure Robertson LTIR, with Spezza and Dell both out or Taxi Squad.

Leafs going with 11 forwards 7 Dmen and 2 goalies.

Leafs CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $674,167

Spezza ($700k out) + Dell ($800k out) + free cap space $674, 167 = $2,174,167 available

Promote Lehtonen and Barabanov from Taxi squad @ 2 X $925k = $324,167 free cap space remaining

* Robertson not included in calc or LTIR.

PS. Barabanov and Lehtonen were KHL regulars so can't imagine sitting on Leafs taxi squad is all that appealing and both are UFA at end of year, and may leave even earlier if they don't get to play. IMO

Reactions: ECYCLE and uncleben

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We saw it coming with Dell. It sucks but the waiver guidelines make it very difficult to keep that much depth at one position. Hopefully we won't regret it.

Glad Spezza cleared waivers.

Reactions: uncleben

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I suspect Barabanov and Lehtonen both making $925k and Leafs prized UFA KHL signing this summer might be in this equation to replace waived players + the injure Robertson LTIR, with Spezza and Dell both out or Taxi Squad.

Leafs going with 11 forwards 7 Dmen and 2 goalies.

Leafs CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $674,167

Spezza ($700k out) + Dell ($800k out) + free cap space $674, 167 = $2,174,167 available

Promote Lehtonen and Barabanov from Taxi squad @ 2 X $925k = $324,167 free cap space remaining

* Robertson not included in calc or LTIR.

PS. Barabanov and Lehtonen were KHL regulars so can't imagine sitting on Leafs taxi squad is all that appealing and both are UFA at end of year, and may leave even earlier if they don't get to play. IMO

This is what I expected to happen that Leafs going with 11X F and 7XD and bringing in Lehtonen with these moves.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

This is what I expected to happen that Leafs going with 11X F and 7XD and bringing in Lehtonen with these moves.

Only issue left is does Brooks get 11th spot or Spezza tonight?????????????????? Maybe Brooks because we need more legs with 11 F and Spezz needs a night off to prepare for Oilers. Gives Lehtonen a chance too.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
And Brodie thankfully off PP@. I would have preferred MUZZ was given that brief opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad