Confirmed with Link: Jason Spezza, Aaron Dell on waivers (UPD: Dell claimed by NJ, Spezza Clears)

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I can't figure out why Dell signed with us in the first place. He knew he was going to be the 3rd string goalie here and should've easily had offers to be a teams 2nd string goalie.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
On stage Tonight in New Jersey its Wedgewood,Blackwood and the Dellwood Blues.
Hey Dellwood, you wanna do a song”
“Yeahhh”

Reactions: djpunkrog

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I can't figure out why Dell signed with us in the first place. He knew he was going to be the 3rd string goalie here and should've easily had offers to be a teams 2nd string goalie.

I would have thought the same. Sometimes a vacancy isn't there though until an injury or the like pops up. In my view, goalie is the toughest position to sneak through the waiver wire due to how few of them there are on a roster.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
If Spezza cleared, he's more important to the team anyways

There was no chance Spezza was going to be claimed as it was publicly known he would retire if another team did. The Leafs were able to use that fact to their advantage. He was waived for paper reasons only. He'll be in the lineup tonight

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I wouldn't be shocked to see the Leafs claim Comrie if he is made available to us. He hasn't been great in brief stints in the NHL, but we've played him a lot in the AHL where he has been decent despite not playing on the best teams. I would definitely take him over Hutchinson.

Same goes for Forsberg TBH.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Maybe he didn't get any other one-way offers?

Reactions: Menzinger

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Too bad. So now he's gonna need a new Devils-themed setup

sOL6DWZ.png

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
who cares about Dell. I would understand the panic if it was Campbell on waivers, but with Andersen and Campbell really Dell was just a contingency plan in case who worse case scenario happened.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I assume that Bogo is our third best RHD and why he is in the lineup. If Bogo is our 9th best dman, Dubas came up short on the D front this offseason.

Dear god man, you are relentless with your comments about Dubas. 3 games in and you know it all. If Bogo is our 9th best, that's pretty darned good and you might question his usage, not Dubas' ability to stock the cupboard. Does Brodie not move the needle in a positive way at all? Does having Sandin and Lehtonen not give you some meager crumbs of hope? Is there a chance that Bogo might see an uptick in his game? Might integrating 2/3 new D with 3/4 F while combining new F lines and D pairings take a bit of time?

Sorry to see Dell go, but we've still Hutch to offer up come the Seattle draft, the reason I'm sure he was signed. Hopefully, he doesn't play, but if he does, is he really worse than most team's 3rd choice? Spezza will play according to Keefe's decisions and his own abilities, we'll see how it plays out. Meanwhile, we're accruing cap space.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I wouldn't be shocked to see the Leafs claim Comrie if he is made available to us. He hasn't been great in brief stints in the NHL, but we've played him a lot in the AHL where he has been decent despite not playing on the best teams. I would definitely take him over Hutchinson.

Same goes for Forsberg TBH.

We would need to waive them too to get them on the taxi squad.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We would need to waive them too to get them on the taxi squad.

I understand that. Since we can now put Robertson on LTIR, we may just keep one on the roster full time again.

Or claim + waive and hope they clear through waivers. The original team waiving them won't claim them again, so it would mostly just be the team that originally put them on waivers who will care.

Or the Leafs can just stick with Hutchinson. He sucks, but Forsberg and Comrie haven't proven to be much better in the NHL. TBH, Even Dell the past two years hasn't been great, but that could be more due to playing on San Jose than anything else.

Garret Sparks is still available, and he's better than Hutchinson. People crap on him all the time, but as a 3rd goalie, you could do much worse. I wouldn't be surprised if he does significantly better under Keefe and behind this defense than what he was given when he was backup 2 years ago.

Reactions: zeke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad