Confirmed with Link: Jason Spezza, Aaron Dell on waivers (UPD: Dell claimed by NJ, Spezza Clears)

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It was gonna happen at some point so clearly Dubie thought now was best time given injury ... Spezza is going nowhere ... Dell he is likely gone ... oh well such is life ... everyone knew goalies were gonna move around like crazy in system league brought in with taxi squad ... i guess da league wanted da movement for some reason

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Is this for reals

I'm not sure $6M career earning Dell is in the same position as $88M career earning Spezza to make this claim. Also Spezzas claim came from his agent, not the Leafs. I can't see any scenario that the Leafs would come out and say this for a 3rd string goalie.

So all that leads me to believe Justin Bourne is just bad at satire.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Edmonton will grab Dell if he they can is a likely bet i am reading. Just what i read. It would be lucky if we don’t lose him.

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
I would love an answer as well. most of me thinks no? i have no idea if thats tampering or whatever but who knows in this shortened season

this is a pipedream scenario methinks .... team would need to claim him, he refuses to report .. the team would suspend him ... he would then have to negotiate a mutual termination of the deal before he could sign with the leafs ... his retirement means nothing in this scenario ... the other team would need to agree to terminate his contract ... why would you claim him to just terminate him .... this is an example of some reporters attemting to appear to be smarter than they are ......

Reactions: Wrong Wilson

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Spezza is only playing in Toronto. This has been pointed out like 30 times in this thread already.

If Ottawa selects him (or any team) and he does retire as a result then Leafs don't have him either.

Teams can chip away at Leafs depth simply by putting in waiver claims and then seeing if these players follow through on their threats to retire from the game.

In the past a player over age 35 that signed a deal as per CBA even if they retired would still count against a teams cap.. However the CBA was amended last summer to resolve this.

The new CBA Memo of Understanding contains a new rule that allows a player to sign a 35+ deal that is not front loaded, and they can retire if they want even on a mult-year deal. The cap hit disappears when they do....Jul 15, 2020

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Whats with the spezza hate he’s been serviceable and unlike a lot of them he cares

No one is hating on Spezza. It's just funny to see the hoopla surrounding a 37yr old 4th line C who's isnt a game changer by any means.

There's nothing wrong in trying out a new dynamic in the 4th line.

Reactions: Auston 316

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Knew it. This was all a cap-flexibility sort of move.

Sad though because I was actually hoping he comes out of the lineup and the Leafs try a new dynamic in the 4th line
He’s allowed to practice with the big team because he’s on the roster until 12 noon. Nobody will pull off a pr!ck shot by claiming him and forcing him to retire either. He’s been really tight defensively in all games. He takes good ice all the time and reads plays so smart. His brain is way faster than his legs but he still moves well when he gets them long strides powering

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
this is a pipedream scenario methinks .... team would need to claim him, he refuses to report .. the team would suspend him ... he would then have to negotiate a mutual termination of the deal before he could sign with the leafs ... his retirement means nothing in this scenario ... the other team would need to agree to terminate his contract ... why would you claim him to just terminate him .... this is an example of some reporters attemting to appear to be smarter than they are ......

good call.

Thats why i assume leafs probably told Spezza's agent to say that just to reduce any potential interest in him to zero. I would also believe that teams are going to be much more forgiving this year when it comes to the waiver wire and claiming players because it more than likely could happen to them as well. lots of cap strapped teams in similar positions to us.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Should've moved Andersen for scraps in the off-season and just rolled with Campbell and Dell as 1A and 1B. Would've freed up lots of cap and maybe even allowed us to bring in a guy like Hoffman.

Full disclosure: this is coming from someone who doesn't believe Andersen represents a significant upgrade to the other guys, which I acknowledge may not be an opinion shared by most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad