Confirmed with Link: Jason Botterill Hired As General Manager -- MOD WARNING #1851

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I'm done with this stammering lunkhead. He hired Housley, at some point some team probably would have given Housley a shot but not a team in the position our team was in. We needed a guy with experience with strong leadership qualities. Trading ROR for the contents of Doug Armstrong's junk drawer was an even worse decision.

Skinner fell in his lap and sitting on his hands while this team was clearly drowning is jeopardizing our chances of keeping Skinner. Still think he re-signs because we'll offer him big money and our proximity to his family which seems to be important to him.

Botterill's done more bad than good.

We are Edmonton from the ownership down.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I'm done with this stammering lunkhead. He hired Housley, at some point some team probably would have given Housley a shot but not a team in the position our team was in. We needed a guy with experience with strong leadership qualities. Trading ROR for the contents of Doug Armstrong's junk drawer was an even worse decision.

Skinner fell in his lap and sitting on his hands while this team was clearly drowning is jeopardizing our chances of keeping Skinner. Still think he re-signs because we'll offer him big money and our proximity to his family which seems to be important to him.

Botterill's done more bad than good.

We are Edmonton from the ownership down.

Not true at all

Drafting has been phenomenal with his 2017 draft where every single player has potential to play in the NHL ( Middlestadt, Davidsson , UPL, Laksonen etc and his 2018 drafting was superb aswell with Dahlin, Samuelson, and Pekar

Trading for Scandella and Sheary for absolutely nothing

Trading for Skinner for a 2nd and Cliff Pu who has 6 points in 45 AHL games and just got demoted to the ECHL

Has rebuild the Amerks in literally less than two years and has developed that winning culture down there he promised we needed

Got a 1st Round Pick for Evander Kane when no one thought he could

We won’t know about the O’Reilly trade for years and Thompson is still only 21 and it takes bigger players longer to develop ( look at Tom Wilson for example ) and we still have a 1st and a 2nd round pick we haven’t even used yet

It’s not Botterills fault he has to clean up a mess left behind by Tim Murray and has little to no talent to work with outside of Reinhart , O’Reilly , Eichel etc with only Ristolainen in defence and no stability in net . It’s only year two of his plan. Yes hiring Housley isn’t looking good but don’t forget everyone was begging for him and not Rick Tochett. I’m very confident he will get the next hire right especially with Quienville , Sheldon Keefe and now Randy Carlyle available but I highly doubt Carlyle is even considered , another good option is DJ Smith an assistant coach under Mike Babcock.

Calling Botterill a failure is just asinine and more bad than good common.

Did we forget Botterill has won 3 Stanley Cups as an AGM , 3 World Junior Gold Medals as a player , a Calder Cup and a Frozen 4????? He literally has won everything except Olympic Gold . Botterill is a winner and will build a winner but it’s only year two of his tenure .

Patience my friend

Lloydchristmas138

Aug 3, 2010
Botterill needs to do some serious work and maybe make a tough trade to get rid of Okposo's contract.. Long shot but I'd love to hit on a free agency signing like Stone or Panarin to add to our 1st rounders. I'm not at all convinced we have cap issues like some think. Reinhart's contract isn't gonna break the bank. If Toronto can afford John Tavares and Patrick Marleau with all their young talent we can afford Stone or Duchene. Just don't strike out on Stone then panic and blow your wad on Simmonds. Get something done

Reactions: sabremike

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017

If you look at Bryson , Weissbauch, UPL, Laksonen , and Davidssons stats. You will know what I am talking about

Getting Conor Sheary who at age 26 already won 2 Stanley cups and Hunwick for a 4th round pick is highway robbery

And Scandella for a 3rd while and two injury prone players in Foligno and Ennis while also getting back a 4th is also highway robbery .

Getting a 1st Round Pick for Kane isn’t a win?? Considering the baggage he had and was only a rental ??

The O’Reilly trade can be argued

And really ????? You are laughing at the fact he has won 3 Stanley Cups in Pittsburgh at age 40?????? You have got to be kidding me. Do you know how many people dream of winning the Stanley Cup let alone 3??? Botterill is only 42 and he has already won more Stanley Cups than NHL Legends , Hall of Famers etc so laughing at that is one of the strangest and weirdest things I have read on this sight in a long time .

Anyway I stand by my word and I don’t see how this is funny

Last edited:
Reactions: Zman5778 and jcbeze

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
After 26 games we had the best points percentage and record in the league. In the subsequent 30 games we played like one of the worst teams.

So the reality is they’re somewhere in the middle. Probably a 15-19 team overall.
I don’t read it that way. During the streak they had white hot goaltending and u sustainable shooting pct. I think they only outchanced the opponent twice in that streak. It was an aberration. Who they’ve been since is more likely who they really are. And only Ottawa’s been worse.

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
I think overall Botterill has done a good job. Overall the worst move hes made is hiring Housley who seems clueless at this point. The only other move I'm not happy with was the O'Reilly trade but that move was made for several reasons and hasn't quite worked out (yet.) Having O'Reilly this season probably puts us in a playoff spot but we simply don't know everything behind the scenes. I think overall the big points are:

1) Apparent attitude problem but we only know so much about this.
2) Did Ryan and Jack get along? Despite his seemingly poor leadership skills O'Reilly expected to be captain and maybe that was a clash with Jack?
3) How much of a factor was the $7+ million bonus to ownership/management. We don't know if Pegula forced Jason to trade him.
4) Casey was highly touted and Sabres management expected him to be able to take the 2nd line.
5) We don't know how much value TT and those picks will be. Clearly Jason felt this team was not ready to compete and who could blame him? This was a move to try and bolster the team when Jack, Sam, and Rasmus are in their primes.

Pretty much all of his other trades have been good. Skinner was a huge coup and most other trades have been wins overall. His drafting has also been good and we could have tons of talent for the team or trade chips when we are ready to compete. The only changes i'd like to see is Housley replaced and give some of the guys in Rochester a chance.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Not true at all

Drafting has been phenomenal with his 2017 draft where every single player has potential to play in the NHL ( Middlestadt, Davidsson , UPL, Laksonen etc and his 2018 drafting was superb aswell with Dahlin, Samuelson, and Pekar

Trading for Skinner for a 2nd and Cliff Pu who has 6 points in 45 AHL games and just got demoted to the ECHL

Has rebuild the Amerks in literally less than two years and has developed that winning culture down there he promised we needed

We won’t know about the O’Reilly trade for years and Thompson is still only 21 and it takes bigger players longer to develop ( look at Tom Wilson for example ) and we still have a 1st and a 2nd round pick we haven’t even used yet

It’s not Botterills fault he has to clean up a mess left behind by Tim Murray and has little to no talent to work with outside of Reinhart , O’Reilly , Eichel etc with only Ristolainen in defence and no stability in net . It’s only year two of his plan. Yes hiring Housley isn’t looking good but don’t forget everyone was begging for him and not Rick Tochett. I’m very confident he will get the next hire right especially with Quienville , Sheldon Keefe and now Randy Carlyle available but I highly doubt Carlyle is even considered , another good option is DJ Smith an assistant coach under Mike Babcock.

Did we forget Botterill has won 3 Stanley Cups as an AGM , 3 World Junior Gold Medals as a player , a Calder Cup and a Frozen 4????? He literally has won everything except Olympic Gold . Botterill is a winner and will build a winner but it’s only year two of his tenure .

Patience my friend
I agree with some but the St Louis trade was brutal.If we have Oreilly we are in playoffs period.To get Sobotka and Bergland back as cap dumps is a joke.So Thompson who I like and it looks like a mid first round pick and a 2020 second round is quite frankly robbery.Thomas and Dunn should have been added or no deal.I also don't like us losing Foligno we have nobody to protect out stars and its alarming.Rochester I agree and the drafting looks good.Sheary does nothing for me but I still do the deal for fun.My only issue is doing nothing to help this young core taste the playoffs and not hiring an NHL coach which cost us the playoffs.If he fires Housley now then I am still in the middle but he keeps him then he needs to go

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I'd love to see our record with and without Skinner Eichel Reinhart as our top line. It completely destroys the team, and Housley keeps going back to it.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Not true at all

Patience my friend

Wow...that’s some elite level spinning of history

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don’t read it that way. During the streak they had white hot goaltending and u sustainable shooting pct. I think they only outchanced the opponent twice in that streak. It was an aberration. Who they’ve been since is more likely who they really are. And only Ottawa’s been worse.

Can we sticky this so everyone doesn’t have to keep reminding people of the actual facts?

Reactions: truthbluth

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If you look at Bryson , Weissbauch, UPL, Laksonen , and Davidssons stats. You will know what I am talking about

Getting Conor Sheary who at age 26 already won 2 Stanley cups and Hunwick for a 4th round pick is highway robbery

And Scandella for a 3rd while and two injury prone players in Foligno and Ennis while also getting back a 4th is also highway robbery .

Getting a 1st Round Pick for Kane isn’t a win?? Considering the baggage he had and was only a rental ??

The O’Reilly trade can be argued

And really ????? You are laughing at the fact he has won 3 Stanley Cups in Pittsburgh at age 40?????? You have got to be kidding me. Do you know how many people dream of winning the Stanley Cup let alone 3??? Botterill is only 42 and he has already won more Stanley Cups than NHL Legends , Hall of Famers etc so laughing at that is one of the strangest and weirdest things I have read on this sight in a long time .

Anyway I stand by my word and I don’t see how this is funny

It’s humerous how much credit you give to Botts for the cups they won while he was there. Especially for the first one...what exactly did he do to win them that cup?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The way he watched this team wither and die over the last 2.5 months, while doing absolutely nothing, including making efforts internally to change the mix, was startling.

What are you talking about? He’s just ahead of the curve and you can’t see it. His patented “deer in the headlights” management style will be the next trend in NHL, mark my words.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
If you project out the rest of the NHL season with teams winning at the same rate they have since Jan 1st, the Sabres will finish 25th, about 15 points out of the playoffs. Somebody gets fired right?

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Fail to see anyone here offering up a better, realistic, trade/draft scenario for Botterill that would've done any better. No, holding on to ROR was not an option if that wasn't clear the owner had a hand in that decision.

I like most of what Botterill has done; I hope he doesn't go down with his poor coaching choice and makes amends for it by season's end. A choice, by the way, most of the haters here were all about before it happened. The system change did a world of good, and that was Botterill's biggest praise for Housley early on-- that they both thought the game should be played the same way, but that's not all that a coach does.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
After 26 games we had the best points percentage and record in the league. In the subsequent 30 games we played like one of the worst teams.

So the reality is they’re somewhere in the middle. Probably a 15-19 team overall.
I see improvement if a team plays some constant hockey.
They had to be historically bad to not make the playoffs after that streak.
I call a team improved if they show some structure or identity which they can rely on.
There are worse rosters pulling it together with good coaching.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011

I do still think Skinner signs here because of the proximity to home as one ,major thing. Another is he's having his best season not just because it's a contract year but because he gets to play alongside of Jack and likely will the entire time he stays here so yes, I do think Skinner signs up long term.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Except they have improved in all of their underlying numbers this year compared to last year. So they will end up with a lot more points but will go from 26th in shot share up to currently 18th. To me that looks like improvement.

You used to use analytical numbers all the time. These past 10 games they have put up some of their best numbers but you just talk about their point pace. Why not talk about how much better they are playing but not getting average goaltending or getting the bounces.

The biggest improvement seems to have been in just getting good health out of their blueline. Man-games lost to their pencilled in top four are way, way down this year with the relative health of Bogosian and McCabe as well as the pingpong ball win of Dahlin. Add in pre-benching Pilut and they had an upgrade from AHL to NHL level play on the blueline which has helped push shots against down, improved transition play and as would follow, improve shots for.

As for how they are playing -- they aren't playing much better. They consistently yield goals within moments of scoring. They sag terribly in the final minute of periods. The improved mental play from early in the season has slipped back to what we saw regularly, frighteningly last season.

And that blows back on the coach Botterill installed and the team he's constructed as well as his nearly complete inactivity to improve his roster since opening night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad