TSN: Jason Botchford - The Athletic " Ottawa rejected waay Better offers on Karlsson"

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Ottawa did not do a good job... I say that even considering he's an FA at the end of the year (and all the other factors that "Deteriorated" his value)...

Please give us a list of rental players that returned more. And not some fluke late pick being a star. But on paper at the time of the trade.
Since the sens did sooo bad, it must be a huge list.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Please give us a list of rental players that returned more. And not some fluke late pick being a star. But on paper at the time of the trade.
Everything about EK and the Sens seems off. Even now There is an article hat EK didn’t talk to management since last Fall.

That makes no sense since they should ha e asked what his plans were in Feb to decide what to do with him. If he wanted to hit ufa in 2019 deal him at the TDL and give the acquiring team 2 runs with him.

Something is just very off the way it ended between them.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Everything about EK and the Sens seems off. Even now There is an article hat EK didn’t talk to management since last Fall.

That makes no sense since they should ha e asked what his plans were in Feb to decide what to do with him. If he wanted to hit ufa in 2019 deal him at the TDL and give the acquiring team 2 runs with him.

Something is just very off the way it ended between them.

Well they said they made an offer to his agent and never heard back. So when he says he didn't talk with them. It was true, but because he didnt want to.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Who knows, could be a headline to get clicks fabricated on the back of a whispered rumor...but let's be honest, it's certainly highly plausible that this is the case, knowing what we do actually know.

Plus...guys...Dorion got six assets back for one (well two actually but a 6:1 ratio sounds way cooler than 3:1). SIX. Tampa probably offered him 5. Dorion is no fool. Last time I checked my maths, 6 > 5...or 4 or 3 or whatever anybody else was offering. The Bolts could have anted up with a bushel of Kris Oldham, Alex Green, Cole Koepke and some mid-rounders to push their offer up to seven or even eight to seal the deal (since they are from the East) but they chose not to. Their loss.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Who knows, could be a headline to get clicks fabricated on the back of a whispered rumor...but let's be honest, it's certainly highly plausible that this is the case, knowing what we do actually know.

Plus...guys...Dorion got six assets back for one (well two actually but a 6:1 ratio sounds way cooler than 3:1). SIX. Tampa probably offered him 5. Dorion is no fool. Last time I checked my maths, 6 > 5...or 4 or 3 or whatever anybody else was offering. The Bolts could have anted up with a bushel of Kris Oldham, Alex Green, Cole Koepke and some mid-rounders to push their offer up to seven or even eight to seal the deal (since they are from the East) but they chose not to. Their loss.

My thoughts are he wanted out, they didnt mind and neither side wants to upset the fans.

TAYGB52

Sep 20, 2018
I can't help but feel for Sens fans. Us Leaf fans know all to well what incompetence at the top of your organization can do.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
lmao the sheer stupidity if this is true. Having Karlsson in the East sure would have messed with Ottawas playoff aspirations and Karlsson can just go sign in the East next year anyway it seems so moronic.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't respect Dorion but this is hearsay and I'm not really gonna judge him. His return is awful but I can't believe the other guy just because he says so, maybe if McKenzie said it then I dunno

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
If that is true, it the goofiest of moves. I would have thought NHL GMs would be above that kind of thinking. Worry about getting value for your own team (especially when you probably won't be competitive for a number of years). Taking less value so that you play against him 2-6 times fewer per year is asinine. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face.
The most hilarious part is that 1st round pick they get if Karlsson plays in the East this year. They lost actual value because of that condition. They wanted to prevent the Hoffman situation again, but really, you think the Sharks are just gonna flip him like this? The way they dealt with the situation is amazing, to be honest.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Not surprising given they put conditions on Karlsson coming back to the east.

Such a dumb move to limit your trade partners to half the league when you are going to be bad AND the player is a free agent who can go wherever they want in a year :facepalm:

That was massively stupid....so he doesn't play in the East for a year when your terrible, what stops him from going East as a UFA.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
That was massively stupid....so he doesn't play in the East for a year when your terrible, what stops him from going East as a UFA.

Again a certain team in the east tried to get him for garbage and cap dumps. They do not want them paying real value now to someone else, it is not about keeping him out of the east.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Again a certain team in the east tried to get him for garbage and cap dumps. They do not want them paying real value now to someone else, it is not about keeping him out of the east.

Considering what Vegas gave the Habs for Patches, you would have to think they offered at least that for Karlsson and that indeed would have been a better package.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The whole concept of not trading a player to a certain team, because you are somehow afraid they are going to burn you, is based entirely on ego instead of any amount of logic. If the trade is what is best for YOUR team and it makes YOUR team better, you do it. f*** whatever other team he is going to and how they will turn out for it. You’re responsible for your f***ing team.

If this is true (apparently the source isn’t reliable...but given what Ottawa was given from SJ, I have to at least give it some thought), it’s absolutely ludicrous.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Jason Botchford of the Athletic and TSN1040 was on the air yesterday expressing that he knows for 100% fact and first source knowledge that Ottawa received and rejected waaay better offers than the one they accepted from the Sharks.

Botchford expressed that The Sens rejected those offers because it was made by teams in the EAST.

It's believable because we know Ottawa has a conditional pick if he's traded back to east at deadline. That's a dumb condition. It lowers compensation for something that has no value to Ottawa because they won't be competitive in short-term.

Ottawa is dumb/image conscious enough to take worse offer from West.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Please don’t listen to anything Botch has to say about anything.

I mean, between Ottawa/Melnyk/Dorian's history of incompetency, the fact that they literally traded Hoffman for peanuts because they wouldn't trade to the West then the same player got flipped to the East immediately for more than what the Sens got, and the facts that the Karlsson return was horrible and had a conditional first based on being flipped to the East there's like a forest fires worth of smoke here. So it's not like he's wrong, just confirming what everyone knows without having any proof.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
^whoops literally posted a minute after. Feel free to ignore this post.
On one hand, there is evidence that ottawa has refused to trade in the east.

They traded hoffman to sj for boedker and bergman.

Sj then got a better deal via 2nd, 4th, 5th for hoffman and 7th.

On the other hand, the return for karlsson could have been worse. 1st, decent prospect, balcers and potentially more picks. Can’t remember the last time a rental player got more that 2-3 first rounders.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Then Karlsson should have been traded at the deadline where he wasn't a pure rental. It was obvious by that point that he wasn't signing in Ottawa long term, the Senators hurt the return by giving the buyer one playoff run instead of two.

Look at what the Rangers got for McDonagh. Hajek and Howden are more valuable pieces than anything the Sens got from the Sharks. I can't imagine what Yzerman was offering for Karlsson, instead the Sens depreciated their best asset by trying to keep Karlsson out of the East for 82 games.

And to probably sinch a few more dollars out of Karlsson for the final stretch run to end the season.

And we are still owed another pick from Tampa. We'll have drafted potentially two first round picks and the Senators will have to wait another year for their first and the Lightning got 14 more regular games out of McDonagh than the Sharks will have from Karlsson over the length of their 2019 expiring contracts.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Botchford has reported lies pertaining to trade offers in the past. I don't trust him.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Considering what Vegas gave the Habs for Patches, you would have to think they offered at least that for Karlsson and that indeed would have been a better package.

He wasnt a rental. They got a cap dump a second and a prospect who vas told he was still a couple years away. How does everyone act like thats a good deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad