TSN: Jason Botchford - The Athletic " Ottawa rejected waay Better offers on Karlsson"

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Jason Botchford of the Athletic and TSN1040 was on the air yesterday expressing that he knows for 100% fact and first source knowledge that Ottawa received and rejected waaay better offers than the one they accepted from the Sharks.

Botchford expressed that The Sens rejected those offers because it was made by teams in the EAST.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Jason Botchford of the Athletic and Sportsnet 650 was on the air yesterday expressing that he knows for 100% fact and first source knowledge that Ottawa received and rejected waaay better offers than the one they accepted from the Sharks.

Botchford expressed that The Sens rejected those offers because it was made by teams in the EAST.

I mean im guessing every team in the league would have paid more than what san jose paid for him

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
If that is true, it the goofiest of moves. I would have thought NHL GMs would be above that kind of thinking. Worry about getting value for your own team (especially when you probably won't be competitive for a number of years). Taking less value so that you play against him 2-6 times fewer per year is asinine. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
What a joke, the NHL should be investigating this and vetoing the trade if it's true. This is just showing how incompetent Ottawa's management (Melnyk) really is. The NHL should step in and force Melnyk out under the guise of collusion. Absolutely ridiculous that the best dman in the world was dealt for scraps when he could've fetched a top prospect.

Reactions: travis scott

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
so you trade him to the team in your other division . you play them 1 more time then teams in the other conference. why would you take back less for only seeing him 1 more time a year.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
That’s just so dumb, whether it’s Dorion or Melnyk to blame i don’t care.

Dorion said EK wasn’t going to sign an extension with any team at this time, so why would the Sens care where EK plays this year when they’re going to suck anyway?

Besides, EK probably brings some more fans to watch games even if he’s playing on the other side lol.

Bottom line is when you’re going balls deep into a rebuild like the Sens are you have to make sure you get the best possible return, especially for you best player. It should be that simple really. Sens won’t hold a candle against any of the top dogs of the East for years, who cares if EK lights up the Sens if that means they managed to squeeze all they could out of the deal.

What a gongshow.

EDIT: to clarify, i understand why they wouldn't want to let a sign and trade to a division rival happen, you're essentially agreeing to EK owning you for the next 8 years and admittedly that would look too ridiculous, but as it stands that wasn't going to be the case. At some point you just have to face the facts and realize you've got no control what EK is going to do after you let him go, he might even end up signing in the Eastern conference next year making this deal look even more horrendous.

And regarding to how legit this is, i wouldn't even be surprised if it is true. After all Dorion did include that hilarious "no trade to Eastern conference team in 18-19" condition to one of the picks indicating this was legitimately something he was worried about, unless it was a joke towards the Hoffman trade but i doubt Dorion's sense of humor is that bad.

Last edited:

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I might miss the obvious, but can someone explain this to me?

I can imagine why you wouldn't want to trade a good player to another team in the same conference when you're trying to compete (and especially if that team is in the same division). However, Ottawa is doing a total rebuild and isn't expected to compete for at least 3-4 seasons. Why wouldn't you trade a player to a team in the same conference if that gives you a better result? It's not like that team is going to steal your playoff spot when you're dead last anyway... Especially when the player you're trading is going to be a UFA at the end of the season.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Pierre is probably playing some kind of new, twisted version of moneypuck. He's going to reap the rewards of his hard work in the next season. :sarcasm:

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I agree. I mean, by the time Ottawa will be competitive again Karlsson will have been retired a looong time.

BTW. I haven't talked to you in forever. We need to catch up.

Also Botch is notorious for pretending he has some sort of insider connection when in reality he isn’t any more connected than the average poster on this board. He enjoys his histrionics and insessant negativity to a whole new level, it’s actually impressive.

And for sure my dude, send me a DM because I don’t social media well anymore.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Jason Botchford of the Athletic and Sportsnet 650 was on the air yesterday expressing that he knows for 100% fact and first source knowledge that Ottawa received and rejected waaay better offers than the one they accepted from the Sharks.

I am curious to know what some of those Eastern conference offers were.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Why would it matter? Are they seriously worried that Karlsson will burn them 2018-19 and cause permanent damage? Everything resets July 1st 2019 anyway.

Reactions: Berserk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad