TSN: Jason Botchford - The Athletic " Ottawa rejected waay Better offers on Karlsson"

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Jason Botchford of the Athletic and TSN1040 was on the air yesterday expressing that he knows for 100% fact and first source knowledge that Ottawa received and rejected waaay better offers than the one they accepted from the Sharks.

Botchford expressed that The Sens rejected those offers because it was made by teams in the EAST.
IF that is true, someone has to feel the sting of the lash.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
According to Friedman the Stars final offer was Shore, Hintz, Honka, and the same picks without the conditions. Let’s assume that means 2019 1st and 2019 2nd with no protection.

Pretty comparable. Tierney is better than Shore, Honka has higher potential than DeMelo.

Ottawa could have had DeMelo for free possibly.

Roope Hintz. Isn't he a pretty good prospect ?

I like Hintz and Honka, so that deal is better, but at this point not a whole lot better

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
If that is true, it the goofiest of moves. I would have thought NHL GMs would be above that kind of thinking. Worry about getting value for your own team (especially when you probably won't be competitive for a number of years). Taking less value so that you play against him 2-6 times fewer per year is asinine. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Fun story, I had a client try and claim I threatened him because I used that idiom while describing his predicament.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I don't buy it, well not completely anyway.

If Karlsson walks and the Sharks don't win the cup they essentially traded everything they did for Francis Perron -- and that would be highway robbery -- in Ottawa's favor.

Without a guarantee that Karlsson will resign with them, a team needs to be either a legit cup contender hoping he will push them over the top (and don't care if he resigns or not) -- or confident enough that they'll make a good enough impression on him that he'll want to resign with them.

That eliminates any team that isn't likely to make the playoffs (Arizona, Vancouver, Chicago);
It also likely eliminates the bubble teams (LA, Calgary, Edmonton, Anaheim, Dallas, Colorado, Minnesota);

Of the 5 teams remaining in the west Nashville needs a defensemen less than San Jose did;
St. Louis didn't have the cap space;
Winnipeg would have worked, but it's Winnipeg, so the chances of him resigning are lower (sorry);
Vegas might of worked, but Vegas might also crash and burn this year with players coming off career years -- so too many unknowns and would probably make anyone other than Ottawa skittish about a trade;
San Jose is of course where he was traded to.

Really only the Sharks were available in the west that could be confident enough in their performance this year that they'll stand a decent chance of resigning him, and liking their cup chances enough to take a shot and not care too much if he doesn't.

this right here. excellent analysis.

Reactions: YOW

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
Weird I though only competitive teams used this strategy. While rebuilding who cares if you help someone in your division get stronger while taking better assets as apose to taking lesser assets for him to go out west and in a year as a UFA he could easily come back to the east..... Very weird management by this team I have to say....

Probably a culture move to build an US versus THEM mentality.

darnok

Mar 15, 2014
Karlsson leaving or staying doesn't change the assets that the Senators received.
No but it would mean Wilson made a worse trade than Dorion...and so maybe Dorion didn't make such a bad trade after all. We will see.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I mean, it kind of does...
It literally does... but the original statement is idiotic as the Sens are going to get more return if he stays and even more if the sharks win the Cup.

And if he does stay it will be in the west where he ostensibly is less of a problem for the Sens going forward.

Just an idiotic, idiotic take by the original poster to claim the Sens do better if he leaves.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
What I don't get about Ottawa's love affair with not trading him within the east. What does it matter? Their team is a dumpster fire. They afraid of running into Karlsson in the playoffs?

Reactions: haveandare

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Man I still don't get it. You had a choice between 1st round picks. You know you're heading for a rebuild and you're about to trade away your core players. And you still gave up the 2019 pick?!

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
I mean, it kind of does...

To correct myself, it's true only in regards in the conditional draft picks. Otherwise, Karlsson leaving/staying has zero bearing on the development of Tierney, DeMelo, Norris, and Balcers. If they all turn out to be below expectations or just average guys, Ottawa still loses the deal regardless of what happens with Karlsson. In other words, trading a dollar for four quarters rarely ever works.

No but it would mean Wilson made a worse trade than Dorion...and so maybe Dorion didn't make such a bad trade after all. We will see.

That doesn't make any sense. Worst trade in terms of what? Only giving up 3rd/4th liners and depth defensemen for a shot at retaining a world class free agent? It's not like the Sharks actually risked anything by giving up top prospects or top players. Not to mention, you still need to work on developing the existing players to be impact players, in that case, it could go any way.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Also Botch is notorious for pretending he has some sort of insider connection when in reality he isn’t any more connected than the average poster on this board. He enjoys his histrionics and insessant negativity to a whole new level, it’s actually impressive.

And for sure my dude, send me a DM because I don’t social media well anymore.
Clearly you have some personal vendetta against the Botchford.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Karlsson with his NTC also lowered his value quite a bit. If Karlsson's acceptable trade list was San Jose, Dallas, Las Vegas and then eastern teams Dorian didn't have much to work with. Peter Chiarelli even said Karlsson wasn't willing to go to Edmonton for example.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If they turned down way way better offers to keep him out of the East, then YIKES! If the way way best offer came from the Toronto Maple Leafs, you take it all day long! You only play 4 or 5 games against divisional teams and less against in conference teams, and besides all that, Ottawa looks to be in the beginning of a 35 year rebuild/redestroy plan with Melnyk at the helm, so you won't exactly be playing meaningful games against Karlsson any time soon anyhow!

Reactions: NorthCoast

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Man I still don't get it. You had a choice between 1st round picks. You know you're heading for a rebuild and you're about to trade away your core players. And you still gave up the 2019 pick?!

Wow what a take this is. Definitely treading new ground with this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad