TSN: Jason Botchford - The Athletic " Ottawa rejected waay Better offers on Karlsson"

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Simple, Nick Suzuki looks to have high end upside much more than any player the Sens acquired in their deal but should have because Karlsson is way more valuable than Patches.

Exactly. In this type of trade you need to get QUALITY. That's why I was disappointed originally with the McDonagh return. I was expecting nothing less then a young high end NHL ready talent that we could build around moving forward.

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Am I the only one who thinks SJ gave a fair bit for a guy they have no idea if they can re-sign?

They gave up a lot of pieces but none of them are particularly good. What would be the Leafs equivalent? Bozak + Carrick + Bracco + Rasannen? Leafs would do that trade all day every day

Anyway I don't often put much stock in a Botchford rumor but the conditional pick in the trade if EK plays for an Eastern conference team tells me that OTT is at least aware that a lot of teams in the East want EK and some may have offered more value than even they received in the original trade.

Reactions: haveandare

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Show your work

Several seasons ago, he reported that the Flyers had offered Sean Couturier, a first round pick and more to rent Ryan Kesler. The Flyers sometimes do strange things, but if that offer had been made, the probability that the Canucks would have passed on it is zero.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
A lot of GM's value the number of "assets" they have in the organization and wouldn't give up six to get one, no matter how good. They need to stock the big club, the AHL, the ECHL affiliate, etc. Yes, you can pick ups some non-drafted UFA, etc. to fill out lower levels, but at some point, those pieces have value, even if you only get 50 NHL games out of them, especially when the one player could be injured after 50 games, too.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
This right here is why the Sharks Gm deserves zero kudos. A monkey could have made that trade. he got lucky that Dorian and Melnyk are so inept/dumb/etc.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Anonymous East GM to Botchford: "Hey Jason, we gave a way better offer for Karlsson."
Botchford: "Thanks for the info. Let me get that out on social media ASAP."
Anonymous East GM: "No, thank you..."

Reactions: billybudd

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I don't know what they were worried about. How can you damage something that is already broken x10000

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
If karlsson walks and sharks get no cup sens win this deal bigly. Let's see after a year and not hang dorion just yet. He's got some decent prospects and draft picks ladies and gentlemen.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Anonymous East GM to Botchford: "Hey Jason, we gave a way better offer for Karlsson."
Botchford: "Thanks for the info. Let me get that out on social media ASAP."
Anonymous East GM: "No, thank you..."
More likely, it's for East coast teams to make their fan base feel better that they made what they felt was a better offer. As soon as the EK deal went down, it was a lot of, our team couldn't beat that offer?

Let's put it this way, would any GM ever reveal the players/prospects that he offered to B*tchford??? No, that would not be good for their relationship with those players right? So, how does the guy know for sure what is offered? Just another person's opinion.

Again, the main thing to wait and see if whether EK goes to market in 2019 or signs with SJ. Right now, that return smells like a guy wanting to test the market to get paid or has a certain destination in mind. Teams were given permission to speak with EK on a contract.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
I don't buy it, well not completely anyway.

If Karlsson walks and the Sharks don't win the cup they essentially traded everything they did for Francis Perron -- and that would be highway robbery -- in Ottawa's favor.

Without a guarantee that Karlsson will resign with them, a team needs to be either a legit cup contender hoping he will push them over the top (and don't care if he resigns or not) -- or confident enough that they'll make a good enough impression on him that he'll want to resign with them.

That eliminates any team that isn't likely to make the playoffs (Arizona, Vancouver, Chicago);
It also likely eliminates the bubble teams (LA, Calgary, Edmonton, Anaheim, Dallas, Colorado, Minnesota);

Of the 5 teams remaining in the west Nashville needs a defensemen less than San Jose did;
St. Louis didn't have the cap space;
Winnipeg would have worked, but it's Winnipeg, so the chances of him resigning are lower (sorry);
Vegas might of worked, but Vegas might also crash and burn this year with players coming off career years -- so too many unknowns and would probably make anyone other than Ottawa skittish about a trade;
San Jose is of course where he was traded to.

Really only the Sharks were available in the west that could be confident enough in their performance this year that they'll stand a decent chance of resigning him, and liking their cup chances enough to take a shot and not care too much if he doesn't.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
Teams not wanting to trade within the conference are just dumb. If you are making a deal that you think makes you the better team, why would you even care about playing against the guy you traded?

I hate crap like this.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Sounds completely idiotic to me...you are bad anyway when you are trading him...playing against him might actually help you rebuild faster too if he was traded within the division you aren't expecting to compete for years anyway after trading a player like him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sounds completely idiotic to me...you are bad anyway when you are trading him...playing against him might actually help you rebuild faster too if he was traded within the division you aren't expecting to compete for years anyway after trading a player like him.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Damn.... I scared them off with this....

153255388672287160_zpsfptrliyw.png

Ah well, next year July 1st.

Reactions: Pens x and 66-30-33

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If karlsson walks and sharks get no cup sens win this deal bigly. Let's see after a year and not hang dorion just yet. He's got some decent prospects and draft picks ladies and gentlemen.
This doesn’t excuse him from passing up BETTER offers from other teams, even if they are in the east.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
It seems unlikely there were "way better offers" than San Jose's from 16 eastern teams, but none from any of the other 14 western teams.

Seems more likely the author had a deadline to meet, and had nothing better to offer.

Reactions: Pens x

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Is that really saying much? What they got from the Sharks borders insulting. Literally any other team could have offered better. But because Ottawa thinks they'll contend again before he retires (I very likely doubt that at this point if ownership continues to step in even if they draft well for the next several years) they refuse better offers from Eastern Conference teams.

As a basement team, you just take the best offer available, regardless of who it's from. I get it that Ottawa's salty that Dallas wouldn't give them Miro for Karlsson, but damn. Maybe another reason why they didn't trade him to Dallas was because of the Jason Spezza trade.

If that was the case how do you justify trading Karlsson to San Jose after the Hoffman trade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->