Jason Botchford has passed away

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I’m still in shambles.

I had the honor of being assigned a story about the legacy of Jason Botchford has an interview lined up with JD Burke talking about his impact on the Canucks community.

Ultimately someone in my news room got sick and I had to do news instead.

I’m just getting home now and have some alone time and this is just killing me.

Honestly Jason was one of my idols and inspirations.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Very high energy person who might have pushed himself too hard. Didn't always like the way he stirred the pot but he did go the extra mile to create interest and provoke thought. In a tough industry (specially right now) and fought hard to make himself relevant. I don't know that people today appreciate enough the sacrifice guys make to provide security for their families.

Probably some sort of journalistic award should be set up for him since that might be something that alleviates some of the suffering in his family. Terrible that he wasn't able to see his kids into their adult years.

Grape

Jul 22, 2016
Very high energy person who might have pushed himself too hard. Didn't always like the way he stirred the pot but he did go the extra mile to create interest and provoke thought. In a tough industry (specially right now) and fought hard to make himself relevant. I don't know that people today appreciate enough the sacrifice guys make to provide security for their families.

Probably some sort of journalistic award should be set up for him since that might be something that alleviates some of the suffering in his family. Terrible that he wasn't able to see his kids into their adult years.

While I agree with everything else you said, I'm not sure that "he fought hard to make himself relevant" describes him exactly.

If there was anyone that was the face of Vancouver Canucks media, it was Jason Botchford. NO ONE had a bigger impact than him on the fans, the community, and his fellow colleagues. I understand what you're implying is that it's a really tough industry and as a result it's hard to stay relevant for anyone. However if there was anyone that anchored Vancouver sports, it was Jason Botchford.

I still feel completely numb thinking about this, and I wouldn't for many people.

Reactions: HSD19

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Two years ago I lost a friend the same way, only difference is she was 25. His family must feel devastated, I know how hard this is for their close ones. RIP botch

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I've never felt this torn up about someone I have never actually met. He was a must read and must listen to personality. There has never been anyone like him and there never will be another like him. He simply is irreplaceable in this market. I know that next season won't be the same following this team because no one else can cover the Canucks the way he did and no one else can be the voice of the fans like he was. I remember I found him too much at first and wasn't a fan but boy did he win me over. I never missed a radio hit of his or a podcast. This just sucks. It sucks that coverage of the Canucks will never be the same but my heart hurts for his young family the most.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I've never felt this torn up about someone I have never actually met. He was a must read and must listen to personality. There has never been anyone like him and there never will be another like him. He simply is irreplaceable in this market. I know that next season won't be the same following this team because no one else can cover the Canucks the way he did and no one else can be the voice of the fans like he was. I remember I found him too much at first and wasn't a fan but boy did he win me over. I never missed a radio hit of his or a podcast. This just sucks. It sucks that coverage of the Canucks will never be the same but my heart hurts for his young family the most.
Couldn't have put it into better words myself...

My heart has hurt for the past 24 hours as well. I've also never been devastated by a "famous" person's passing until today. I guess it's because Botchford never presented himself as above the rest.

I hope his family is able to find peace in their hearts..

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The team should do a Botch tribute next year where they replace their nameplates with the nicknames that he used for them in the Athletties.

Dekey Pete
The Flow
Huncho
Troy From Richmond
Etc.
Honestly that’s asking too much from the Canucks. I think they will do something at the start of the season like a moment of silence but I don’t expect it to go beyond that. They’ve done plenty to honour their own guys like Quinn, Babe Pratt, Bourdon, Rypien.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Couldn't have put it into better words myself...

My heart has hurt for the past 24 hours as well. I've also never been devastated by a "famous" person's passing until today. I guess it's because Botchford never presented himself as above the rest.

I hope his family is able to find peace in their hearts..

It's because Botch was one of us.

Reactions: Peen

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
It took me awhile (1 day) to even start writing something, just because it is too close to home. The only difference is that my father survived and Botch is only on our minds. Hope you're in a better place, Botch, because we are in a shitty one with the news.

Harold

Aug 17, 2006
Kelowna
RIP Botch.

Hits so close to home as I’m not far off from his age, and I lost my dad to something similar. Life is short, it goes fast, enjoy it as much as you can. After reading through this thread, I hugged my kids with a tear in my eye...

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Tragic. Hard to say anything that hasn't already been said. One of the few bright spot during what has been a rough stretch for Canucks fans and clearly a one of a kind talent. Between his own work and the obvious support he has provided bringing young, smart writers to light, I suspect my interest in the team would have fallen off by now without him. Can't imagine what his family is going through.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Shocked. I started following his work over 10 years ago and was a fan almost immediately. I think that's why I feel the way I feel about this news. His work has been a regular part of my life for over a decade. I appreciated his blunt and real take on most Canuck subjects. There are not many reporters like him in Vancouver who don't pull any punches when it comes to the Canucks.

My thoughts and best wishes go out to all who are directly effected by this tragic loss.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Tragic. Hard to say anything that hasn't already been said. One of the few bright spot during what has been a rough stretch for Canucks fans and clearly a one of a kind talent. Between his own work and the obvious support he has provided bringing young, smart writers to light, I suspect my interest in the team would have fallen off by now without him. Can't imagine what his family is going through.
Where the **** have you been hiding? Even your worst posts are way better than any of the Ryan Miller clones post here (yes, I include myself :naughty:)

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
This is a little odd... I can't imagine that a successful media personality with three kids didn't have life insurance.
A number of people had set up accounts voluntarily, so for the sake of accountability they probably just wanted to centralize whatever efforts were already underway. I don't think they specifically said they needed help, but it wouldn't be unreasonable – funerals are expensive and who knows what kind of income outside of Botchford's employment that the family has.

In any event, for any interested:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Peak Botchford moment may have been calling Dan Russell “b*** j**” king” on Twitter.

He was great on the morning show with Debron and Rintoul.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad