Jason Botchford has passed away

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

If there is a group of people who wish to contribute, (not saying that the family needs it), at least this ensures it goes to the right people rather than a potential scam.

Guess these are the times we live in with the internet and these funding sites.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
Just heard about the news, really is tragic as he was only 48.

Botch was one of the first ones to start openly criticizing the regime and getting a dialogue started in the fanbase but always did so in a way where he articulated his thoughts in an effective and easily understandable way, even if what he was saying was perceived as "against the grain" he would fully substantiate his thoughts. Was one of the more prominent and recognizable faces in the vancouver sports media scene and I'm sure he was an influence on many.

Will definitely leave a massive void in canucks-related coverage. We'll miss you Jason.

Reactions: cookiefest

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
In this case, I'd note there were unauthorized, third party fund pages setup for Botch. I think if that's happening you'd setup an official one to dissuade fraud regardless of your financial situation. If you don't need the money, donate it in the name of the deceased.
Just my opinion, i want to make sure Im respectful, but the gofundme page is a bit off putting for me. The goal is 100,000. Is this just a sign of the times, is this normal.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Just my opinion, i want to make sure Im respectful, but the gofundme page is a bit off putting for me. The goal is 100,000. Is this just a sign of the times, is this normal.

Part of the description of it is it's going to be put towards an education fund for his kids. All of his children are under the age of 10, there will be a lot of expenses for a single parent to take on while they grow up. Even the best life insurance policies would only go so far.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oh... I’m surprised that the official one has a goal. If you didn’t initiate it (only reacting to those unofficial ones that have been setup) I don’t see the need to put down a target number unless it’s a requirement for it.

But if people want to give money that’s completely up to them. You don’t have to contribute if you don’t want to.

It’s a sign of the times.

Reactions: megatron

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Oh... I’m surprised that the official one has a goal. If you didn’t initiate it (only reacting to those unofficial ones that have been setup) I don’t see the need to put down a target number unless it’s a requirement for it.

But if people want to give money that’s completely up to them. You don’t have to contribute if you don’t want to.

It’s a sign of the times.

Given that Botchford was young, I think it is normal for family and friends to help out. I think what GoFundMe does is extend the potential for help to other well wishers. If Botchford was an old man, then that would be different, IMO. But unexpected with a young family, the funeral itself, is probably at least $20,000 (and that's going rather cheap). That alone is a significant, unexpected expense for a young family who might have their current income largely tied up on mortgages, paying car debt, family vacations, cabin, etc. Then, the family has probably roughly planned on his income going forward. Not having that income to now depend upon, the future is scary right now for them... having an extra $100,000 to help with not worrying so much about things like funding child's education, or paying off some debt/mortgage would help ease the mind. $100,000 won't be enough to do anything "fun" with. That is money that helps pay debt or fund child's future. To me, putting down $100,000 is far less than they could have (if they added everything up and tried to forecast what losing Botchford is worth to them, financially). By putting $100,000, to me, is actually respectful to potential donors who they don't know.

In the end, the whole thing sucks... and life isn't fair. Given that it sucks, and life isn't fair, I think it's nice that someone in the family or a friend set that up for Botchford's wife and kids. But there is no rule book or right or wrong here, IMO... it just sucks, so do what you think is right... and that's it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
$20K is a low end cost for a funeral if you just get cremated. Knew someone who had to arrange one for their parent who passed and just cremation and stuff was over $20K less than 2 years ago.

If you’re getting a plot of land to be buried in and have not bought it already it’s really expensive. Easily add $30K for the plot of land plus casket and tombstone and services of the cemetery staff.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Was just thinking ... we the fans should do something to forever honour botch. Something a long the lines of “ botch’s army “ .. I dunno what to do.. but let’s think of ideas ..

Also the reaction of botch’s passing has been massive by the fan base. He meant a lot to us. I can’t recall a reaction like this to a sports writers passing. His age .. such a tragedy

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
$20K is a low end cost for a funeral if you just get cremated. Knew someone who had to arrange one for their parent who passed and just cremation and stuff was over $20K less than 2 years ago.

If you’re getting a plot of land to be buried in and have not bought it already it’s really expensive. Easily add $30K for the plot of land plus casket and tombstone and services of the cemetery staff.

Both my parents died years ago. The thing the adults forget to tell a new orphan kid is that Santa also stops coming the year your parents die. If it was me, I'd budget $500 each out of that GoFundMe campaign to fund the kid's next year's Christmas. But write the cards from Rudolph... because f*** Santa.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Both my parents died years ago. The thing the adults forget to tell a new orphan kid is that Santa also stops coming the year your parents die. If it was me, I'd budget $500 each out of that GoFundMe campaign to fund the kid's next year's Christmas. But write the cards from Rudolph... because **** Santa.

Are his kids still young enough to believe in the cheeky white bearded old fart?

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Both my parents died years ago. The thing the adults forget to tell a new orphan kid is that Santa also stops coming the year your parents die. If it was me, I'd budget $500 each out of that GoFundMe campaign to fund the kid's next year's Christmas. But write the cards from Rudolph... because **** Santa.

What strikes me is the family situation. I think Botch has 3 kids and the oldest is 7. My grandfather died of a series of heart attack in his 30s (he was very fit, but had one and then another in the hospital out of nowhere) leaving behind my a wife and two daughters aged 7 and 5. My grandmother worked hard to try to give them nice things, but they still went without a lot and my mother had to have a major role in raising my aunt.

I've had two close family members die over the past 3 years and their funerals/cremations/burials didn't cost 20k (though they're not cheap, especially if you're getting a casket/headstone), but the long term costs of being a single parent is rough, especially if she was a full time mother with Botchford being the sole source of income.

One thing that I think could mean a lot to them is to, as a community rather than just a few individuals, do or say something nice about Botchford. I think he is overwhelmingly this board's #1 sports guy in the city, at least mainstream rather than bloggers, and I think his family would appreciate knowing there is an entire community of people who greatly appreciated his work. This type of thing meant a lot to my of mother through rough times over the past few years. My sister a few days before Christmas in 2015 and that was the second child my mom lost. She was a pro/championship level player in her type of competition and there was a huge outpouring of support locally and abroad and it meant a lot to my mom. If anyone has any ideas for things we could do as a community I would be appreciative, it doesn't have to be something that costs much money or anything.

Reactions: I in the Eye

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
This will be a massive loss to the Canucks fandom, just the way he communicated what we thought and communicated with us... it can't be replicated. He wasn't necessarily a fan but his pulse on the market was exactly like a fan.

Those scoops and unnamed sources we used to say that would give us rumours/happenings inside info? Botch was one of them and always wouldn't hesitate to tell you what was going on with the team if you communicated with him regularly(and judging by how many fans DM'd it was ALOT). It made you feel like you were an insider at one point, the curtain on mgmt was pulled.

The Provies/Athletties were what was gotten some of us through some GOD AWFUL years in this Benning era and even the tail end of the Gillis era when we knew window was done. Until Rookie Boser and EP there might not have been anything remotely fun about this team for 4 years besides twitter interaction. The thing I loved about this was it was never a small circle he included all walks of the fandom big or small.

And then you get into his influence and help of bloggers/stats guys in the local scene from Canucks Army to the new wave. In an industry where the old guys dont care to guide and just want to keep their print jobs and columns he helped the new guys. Going from articles to video to podcasts and actually having enough of an audience to host open forums/shows... man its gonna be tough to not see this come to full fruition.

RIP Jason Botchford, gone way too soon. I hope the better days arrive sooner than later because its gonna be tough without you man.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
This one hits hard. Most of us grew up listening to Botchford covering the Canucks. I still remember reading his articles in highschool more then a decade ago.

Rest in Peace.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad