Jason Botchford has passed away

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
The thanks from Botch's wife on the Athletic today choked me right up i have to say.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Still very sad I wish he was here. I do believe Ryan Biech will take over for Botch this year writing for The Athletic announcement should be made in the next little while.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's going to an empty chair on the stage of the next hockey season in VanCity without Botch....still hard to come to grips with. Sad thing is that Canucks might actually have been a more positive team for Botch to cover and follow next season. He'll be sorely missed from the opening whistle at training camp.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
There's going to an empty chair on the stage of the next hockey season in VanCity without Botch....still hard to come to grips with. Sad thing is that Canucks might actually have been a more positive team for Botch to cover and follow next season. He'll be sorely missed from the opening whistle at training camp.
He left a pair of shoes that can't be filled. Never followed a writer that made a team more enjoyable with his content. Even when the team was terrible, his columns were must read and made you feel connected/invested in what was going on.

Vote for Rory

Nov 13, 2004
Any word if Wyatt is continuing the Athletties, or at least some form of it? It's going to be a huge void in my life following Canucks games.
None that I have heard. I really hope that someone will be continuing some sort of after games recap similar to the Athletties, but I do feel it needs a new name. No one will be able to touch what Botch did, so I hope they don't even bother trying.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I am on the fence if I want to renew or not. Since he has been gone.

It truly comes to light how talented he is. Also he mixed in a bit of insider knowledge which is something that Wyatt lacks. not saying it is his fault.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
The Athletic is dull since he has been gone. Cancelled the auto renewal.

He’s irreplaceable.
It's brutal right now. Wyatt's probably the best guy at this point but I can't even remember the last time he wrote something.

I seem to be in the minority judging by the comments sections and Reddit but I can't stand Harman Dayal's stuff and he's the one getting pushed the most. Long winded for the sake of being wordy and beating a dead horse on obvious talking points.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I still subscribe to The Athletic but I went there to read Botch. It is nowhere near the same without him. Massive void that I miss all time.

Would have loved to read his take on the summer events so far. So sad. Way worse for his family obviously. Best thoughts for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->