Jason Botchford has passed away

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Thinking of Botch today reminded me that we all have to get ourselves checked out.

I had a relapse in my mental health yesterday, I had blood and a dialysis done at VGH. I thought I had serious shit done to me but it was mental health that caused my panic attack’s.

We have to value our lives gratefully, Botch...wherever you are, thanks for the memories my friend.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Seeing that photo of him with his wife and kids just guts me.

Tell your closest family how much you love and appreciate them as much as you can. The human body, while being capable of insane feats, is also so fragile all the same. We can all be gone in an instant.

I hope his kids and wife can recover from this and have successful and fulfilling lives.

Botch will always be remembered for his unbiased takes and truly valuing the opinion of the everyday fan. Empathy with the layman is something that is so lacking in journalism these days, and Botch was a shining example of understanding what the average fan wants out of an organisation.

RIP buddy.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
One of the few sports writers in the Vancouver market whose work I actually enjoyed reading. RIP Botch.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
My condolences to Jason's family. A young family like his, it crushes my heart.

As for his work I'd always make time for it. I'd get to work early, sit in my car, and read the provies/athletties morning after every game. I'm going to truly miss that.

it was a treat anytime I found out he was filling in on a show.

I was truly entertained by his work and passion for sports. Gone way too soon.

Thank You, Jason

Rest in peace.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
He was the reason I subscribed to the athletic. I even bought it for my dad.

I listened to every patcast....

Easily the most must listen sports guy in Vancouver.

Most of all, he wanted the Canucks to be good and he won’t get to see that happen... he was such an advocate for dumping bad players and playing the youth...

He said what I was always thinking...

He responded to my comments on the athletic, he didn’t have to but he did.

Provies were must read.

This is very upsetting and I read that someone said it leaves a black hole. Couldn’t agree more, he’s a guy that cant be replaced.

Rip pal.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I still can’t believe it when I read the title of this thread .. over and over.

I never went to sleep before I read the provies.

I’m gutted especially for his family

Reactions: HSD19

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Damn I am shocked and upset. This man was the only Canuck commentator who had the balls to ask tough questions. I loved his analysis and its upsetting to lose such a serious Canuck fan so young. Now Benning interviews are going to be so softball we will just hear about his fishing trips and kids. This summer is turning into a serious bummer as a Canuck fan.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Yeah he really was a pioneer in many ways - in terms of communicating effectively and creatively with Vancouver hockey fans, and we're a tough bunch to deal with.

Hockey-wise, he was in his prime and the best in town. He had a such a passionate and reasoned take - will leave quite a hole in coverage.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
How In The Holy Eff Is Botch Gone Just like That.

cry.gif

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I was a fan of Botchford’s writing with the province, and I have always been critical of Botch’s tone in the later years.

I found it overly critical, obnoxious, whiny and impatient. It was also intelligent, tied in, and also exactly captures the mood of local fan base.

But Botch was always available to listen to the readers, even me. As a now out of town reader, I did not like the grandstanding and the local feuds with other Vancouver personalities and in the latter 1/3 of the season there was a drastic change in tone after I voiced my complaint to him. Likewise, I am not a huge fan of JD Burke or the other CA guys, but it’s no question he was a huge mentor for them. Hopefully others in the Vancouver and national landscape continue to support them the same way Botchford supported them.

Goodbye Botch. We are all worse off without you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad