Confirmed with Link: Jarry signed to 3 year $10.5m contract

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Matt Murray doesn’t have a playoff resume anywhere as atrocious as MAF’s. Their situations were not the same.
3x cup champ, 4x cup finalist starter. He's going to go down as a top 5 all time (which he already is regardless of how people feel). He was developed in the worst way possible and yet he still did something most that had a better path with development could only dream of.

Still don't want him back unless it's his 1 day contract to retire a Penguin. But people need to stop being so petty.

I find it odd that all people want to do is trash him. But people are more inclined to honor Jagr, a massive dirtbag as a person vs Fleury, an outstanding person.

Don't @ me. All that shit is true. Not f***ing opinion.

Reactions: BrookswasHere44

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Mate that thread was contentious. All any one wanted was the team to ride one goalie and that was the one that helped the team stay in the race. Instead they played the "we gotta give our boy MM a chance" angle for 3yrs running. To no fault of Murray of course. Coach is just stupid.

I honestly don't know the thread you mean.

I just think it's silly getting attached to goaltenders these days. They're all just kinda of one giant interchangeable glut of players with very few exceptions. Wouldn't at all be surprised to see Murray bounce back (for how long who knows) and Jarry suddenly develop consistency problems. They are a very, very, very team-dependent entity.

Or maybe I'm just bitter because I got stonewalled a few too many times on glorious chances back in my day. lol

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Time to call in the painters

EjbqYUtXYAApPmK

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I just think it's silly getting attached to goaltenders these days. They're all just kinda of one giant interchangeable glut of players with very few exceptions. Wouldn't at all be surprised to see Murray bounce back (for how long who knows) and Jarry suddenly develop consistency p[problems. They are a very, very, very team-dependent entity.

Or maybe I'm just bitter because I got stonewalled a few too many times on glorious chances back in my day. lol
It was the Murray thread a while back. And eh it wasn't so much an attachment as it was seeing a goalie that clearly fit the style of the team better and how the team played in front of him.

Murray his first 2 years (cup win years), the team played in front of him knowing he would stop anything the other team threw at them, I started to notice that when Jarry was playing and building momentum and confidence and how the team played. Murray meanwhile was oddly enough, getting the Fleury treatment in front of him, team would try to collapse in front of him when they could and minimize as many chances as possible and not play as close to a more attack mode rush.

The issue for me was ignorance by the staff. They were so inclined to let their boy play vs a guy that was giving them a better chance to win, out of some loyalty. It's a sport of winning. Loyalty is important sure but Jarry wasn't some outsider but the way they played him when Murray was back was insulting to see.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I just think it's silly getting attached to goaltenders these days. They're all just kinda of one giant interchangeable glut of players with very few exceptions. Wouldn't at all be surprised to see Murray bounce back (for how long who knows) and Jarry suddenly develop consistency problems. They are a very, very, very team-dependent entity.

This is the big takeaway that more people should get. :laugh:

I think by and large all of the established starters in the league are fairly interchangeable. Some are obviously better than others. But even with that natural talent, opponents can still shell them if the styles match up favorably. Think of how many times we've just decimated Lundqvist who is one of the better goalies of his generation. Also think about how many times the Pens lose to backups.

So, in the end, I always say go with the cheaper, more durable option, and be ready to jump ship from them in a few years if they become too expensive or they start struggling.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Also, to be brutally honest, signing this contract doesn't mean that JR won't get a bug up his ass and trade Jarry for a bag of magic beans.
JR is dumb enough to. I hope he doesn't. MM no matter how people feel about him being moved or whatever, needs a change of scenery and a chance to reboot his game elsewhere. Far too much has happened in his life and his game to figure it out on this team again.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
3x cup champ, 4x cup finalist starter. He's going to go down as a top 5 all time (which he already is regardless of how people feel). He was developed in the worst way possible and yet he still did something most that had a better path with development could only dream of.

Still don't want him back unless it's his 1 day contract to retire a Penguin. But people need to stop being so petty.

I find it odd that all people want to do is trash him. But people are more inclined to honor Jagr, a massive dirtbag as a person vs Fleury, an outstanding person.

Some of that shit is nonsense and just inaccurate but you do you.

Yinzer Jesus’ power is palpable.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

oh I see you’ve lost it. Your Murray comment was to defend Fleury somehow. Bizarre

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
oh I see you’ve lost it. Your Murray comment was to defend Fleury somehow. Bizarre
No. Not even remotely close. I'm not going to sit here and disrespect Fleury and his time here. Murray for all of the disdain I have for his recent years will also go down as a penguins legend. But regardless of how Fleury didn't live up to the elite got status people assumed he should be given he had no proper guidance to start his career from the Pens, left a legacy that extends beyond the arena for over a decade. Murray had 2 insane runs and then had some tragedy and then some bizarre agent and cafe bs and that meltdown after the canucks game.

They are not comparable to me. Go spin it to whatever narrative you want. Like I said I want neither on this team. And as far as Fleury guys the only time I would want him back is the 1 day deal that Tommy B also signed to retire a Penguin.

Now make it about something else again.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The issue for me was ignorance by the staff. They were so inclined to let their boy play vs a guy that was giving them a better chance to win, out of some loyalty. It's a sport of winning. Loyalty is important sure but Jarry wasn't some outsider but the way they played him when Murray was back was insulting to see.

Well you won't see me disagreeing much, there.

Sullivan has some hard work and minds to change this year. He looks past it on this team.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is the big takeaway that more people should get. :laugh:

I think by and large all of the established starters in the league are fairly interchangeable. Some are obviously better than others. But even with that natural talent, opponents can still shell them if the styles match up favorably. Think of how many times we've just decimated Lundqvist who is one of the better goalies of his generation. Also think about how many times the Pens lose to backups.

So, in the end, I always say go with the cheaper, more durable option, and be ready to jump ship from them in a few years if they become too expensive or they start struggling.
The thing I like about Jarrys game is that it's adaptable. He's not a huge goalie relying on his size but he's not a small one either. His size and speed in net are fine and his angles will get fine tuned as he works at it.

His stick handling for a goalie is f***ing elite. That's not something someone gets eventually elite at. You either are or you're not. I think he's a goalie that will maintain a solid level as long as he remains open to working on his game. Which he seems to be geared towards the last few years.

Reactions: Headshot77

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm honestly curious what the critical, non-Penguins fan-based analyses of Fleury and Murray will look like in, say 20 years. I don't think they're all that far off, at least at this point in Murray's career. Who knows? Maybe he pulls a Hašek? Or maybe he doesn't. Either way, I do not think anyone on this board can look at them objectively, myself included.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I still think we would have won the Play in if Jarry started the entire series. I get it that JR wanted to pump up MM trade value though.
In a sense it did, Murray wasn't the reason they lost that series. Regardless of how great Jarry would have been, Jarry can't fix the idiotic choices made in the lineup, specifically the defense and top 9.

Reactions: ownal

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The thing I like about Jarrys game is that it's adaptable. He's not a huge goalie relying on his size but he's not a small one either. His size and speed in net are fine and his angles will get fine tuned as he works at it.

His stick handling for a goalie is f***ing elite. That's not something someone gets eventually elite at. You either are or you're not. I think he's a goalie that will maintain a solid level as long as he remains open to working on his game. Which he seems to be geared towards the last few years.

This is something worth saying too: if a majority of the goalies in the league are largely interchangeable in terms of results, you should go for one that has a unique skill set. I don't know if Jarry's going to stumble or not, but his stickhandling is legitimately an elite skill that very few other goaltenders have.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm honestly curious what the critical, non-Penguins fan-based analyses of Fleury and Murray will look like in, say 20 years. I don't think they're all that far off, at least at this point in Murray's career. Who knows? Maybe he pulls a Hašek? Or maybe he doesn't. Either way, I do not think anyone on this board can look at them objectively, myself included.
I can't hate a bloke that for a decade + was a great person off the ice and to the community and over came the obstacle of a clueless team that did him no favours for development and still went back to back to the finals and won a cup in his first 5 yrs.

I mean the Pens were not the greatest defensive team in the league those years but he's top 5 for wins and that's up against Lundy who was behind some of the most stringent defensive systems in the league for 99% of his career.

People seem to hate Fleury more for how the media loved him and jeered him and the Facebook morons than anything. That cracks me up. That he seems to endear himself to two cities he's called home in the NHL and a lot here seem to hate him even while he's been gone for 3 seasons now.

Even to the point Murray and his agent concocted a bullshit story about a fan walking up to him and saying that ridiculous comment.

This fan base is so f***ed in the head.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The way Penguins fans treat Fleury (still) is weird, though.

Like... whatever whatever when it come to Murray. But I don't at all blame the guy being like "WTF is up with these cretins?"

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Murray for me was a weird person to like. His first 2yrs he was that aw-shucks sort of bloke. Then an arrogance started to approach the way he acted and he was able to back it up. But then he wasn't but that arrogance never faded. That canucks game I mention because the way he rationalized the goals just bothered me. Pens were supposedly calling him one of the leaders but he took zero ownership of the loss and instead made excuses and called them fluke and luck. Not that he should have been better. But if he said that and honestly felt goals scored on him like that were fluke and luck it explains why he just never got better or good enough to get back to his elite first two years.

When you sit and blame others rather than look at how it can be your fault and learn, you'll never get better because in your mind it's never what you're doing is wrong. That was how Murray was to me. It's why I couldn't stand the bloke anymore. Arrogance is great if you're still interested in fixing your game and backing it up. Not assuming you are already and when you're beat it's just flukes.

Reactions: BrookswasHere44

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's not really MAF vs. Fleury. It's MM fans trying to convince themselves that they're not really the same as those old MAF fans, which I find deeply hilarious and also weirdly endearing. :laugh: It lets me know all is right with Pittsburgh and the city is still at heart the same as it was when I left. (I mean, I knew a dude in the Rocks who would proudly sport a Bubby Brister jersey and claim somewhat bizarrely that the man was "robbed" of recognition. RIP Rusty.)

I can't wait until we get Jarry's successor and the process repeats itself again, but now with enough time having passed that people start rocking throwback Caron jerseys. So on, so forth.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's not really MAF vs. Fleury. It's MM fans trying to convince themselves that they're not really the same as those old MAF fans, which I find deeply hilarious and also weirdly endearing. :laugh: It lets me know all is right with Pittsburgh and the city is still at heart the same as it was when I left. (I mean, I knew a dude in the Rocks who would proudly sport a Bubby Brister jersey and claim somewhat bizarrely that the man was "robbed" of recognition. RIP Rusty.)

I can't wait until we get Jarry's successor and the process repeats itself again, but now with enough time having passed that people start rocking throwback Caron jerseys. So on, so forth.
Oh the MM fans are 100% the blind MAF fans that could never admit when MAF was really bad, that he was reeeally bad.

Aubin Jerseys or GTFO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad