Confirmed with Link: Jarry signed to 3 year $10.5m contract

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Looks like we're going in a "riskier" direction as opposed to "definitely stable and risk-free" bonafide NHL stud goalie Matt Murray.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I'd be happy with this deal for blackwood, and Jarry is a very good comparable, so I'm going to say good deal

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It's not really MAF vs. Fleury. It's MM fans trying to convince themselves that they're not really the same as those old MAF fans, which I find deeply hilarious and also weirdly endearing. :laugh: It lets me know all is right with Pittsburgh and the city is still at heart the same as it was when I left. (I mean, I knew a dude in the Rocks who would proudly sport a Bubby Brister jersey and claim somewhat bizarrely that the man was "robbed" of recognition. RIP Rusty.)

I can't wait until we get Jarry's successor and the process repeats itself again, but now with enough time having passed that people start rocking throwback Caron jerseys. So on, so forth.

I do think there's a sizeable amount of Jarry supporters who, like you, are against the "highly paid, entrenched franchise goalie" concept period and see choosing Jarry as an opt-out to that.

Whereas with Murray and Fleury it's which guy are ya tripping over yourself to give 7 yrs/42M to.

I'm excessively prone to cross-sport stuff but I don't see it dissimilar from Le'Veon Bell where a lot of people weren't pro-James Conner as much as opposed to handing any RB in today's NFL $50M+.

Reactions: Hell Yeah!!!

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
"We're not like those filthy Facebook yinzers, we're different!"

the few times I pop into reddit for the Pens i get downvoted so fast because i tell everyone the coach is a dipshit and they are morons, too

...also...can you f***ing believe MULTIPLE people on reddit think the Pens need to bring back the baby blue uniforms

like...f***ing...what the f***...the uniform that destroys players every time it shows up? GTFO with that cursed shit

I think the reason MAF has such a fan base is because he was technically the first piece of the rebuild, so people that were in their teens or so grew up with him as the face of the franchise before Sid and Geno and in between Lemieux and Jagr.

I was around that age......f*** MAF lol...cool work in 08/09...but...so many stupid STUPID mistakes and own goals and shitty things happened since then

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I'm honestly curious what the critical, non-Penguins fan-based analyses of Fleury and Murray will look like in, say 20 years. I don't think they're all that far off, at least at this point in Murray's career. Who knows? Maybe he pulls a Hašek? Or maybe he doesn't. Either way, I do not think anyone on this board can look at them objectively, myself included.
Murray objective analysis: was good, then fell to mediocre

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Murray objective analysis: was good, then fell to mediocre
  • Was very, very good
  • Team did great, he was a big part of it
  • Team's greatness warps peoples perceptions of reality of many individual members of said team
  • Fell to mediocre/fringe starter levels
  • Got 1 more big-ish contract, not with the Penguins
  • Then bounced around

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Meh I mean look around the league. I can't tell you one single goalie who didn't bounce around a little bit. Tampa fans were FURIOUS at Vasi last year. Bins didn't make it defending the Cup. Holtby wasn't even the starter the year the Caps won the Cup (and went on to be that starter/cup winner).

I think Murray can be a very elite goalie if he had like a Colorado or something to work with. Fringe starter isn't something i'd call him.

Reactions: JTG

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Meh I mean look around the league. I can't tell you one single goalie who didn't bounce around a little bit. Tampa fans were FURIOUS at Vasi last year. Bins didn't make it defending the Cup. Holtby wasn't even the starter the year the Caps won the Cup (and went on to be that starter/cup winner).

I think Murray can be a very elite goalie if he had like a Colorado or something to work with. Fringe starter isn't something i'd call him.

You're right that a goalie's quality waxes and wanes over time.
Murray will have many more periods of good play and also many periods of bad play. Not unlike most other goaltenders. Bottom-half starters have periods of good play too.

Is he special? Not really. He was for a period of time, and we needed it. But he isn't anymore.*

Edit: if his edge were based on superior physical talent, I'd give him a better chance. But his edge always was between the ears. And he's already well past his peak in that area.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I can't hate a bloke that for a decade + was a great person off the ice and to the community and over came the obstacle of a clueless team that did him no favours for development and still went back to back to the finals and won a cup in his first 5 yrs.

I mean the Pens were not the greatest defensive team in the league those years but he's top 5 for wins and that's up against Lundy who was behind some of the most stringent defensive systems in the league for 99% of his career.

People seem to hate Fleury more for how the media loved him and jeered him and the Facebook morons than anything. That cracks me up. That he seems to endear himself to two cities he's called home in the NHL and a lot here seem to hate him even while he's been gone for 3 seasons now.

Even to the point Murray and his agent concocted a bullshit story about a fan walking up to him and saying that ridiculous comment.

This fan base is so f***ed in the head.

dude what are you even going on about? The vast majority of Pens fans love Fleury.

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Yohe's opinion on Murray

Capture.JPG

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yohe's opinion on Murray

View attachment 370117

Yohe's a f***ing moron.

Murray won a cup and then put up numbers better than Ward ever did the next year of his career and also won another cup that year. Since then his team has f***ed him over tremendously. Ward also wasn't even that good in the Canes run and it was a joke he got the Smythe.

Reactions: Pensfan891

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I don't think re-signing Jarry means Murray is a bad goalie.

There's a chance that Jarry plays awful next year and Murray completely rebounds. Jarry played well enough to where he was the starter. Murray would make too much annually to stay here anyway. Jarry gives the team more cap flexibility. I think it's as simple as that. I like Matt Murray and think he's an above-average starter in this league.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yohe's a f***ing moron.

Murray won a cup and then put up numbers better than Ward ever did the next year of his career and also won another cup that year. Since then his team has f***ed him over tremendously. Ward also wasn't even that good in the Canes run and it was a joke he got the Smythe.

Like a door at the Roy residence, this wanker is unhinged.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
think this is a fair contract in these times. no global pandemic and Jarry gets 4x4m i think. and not backloaded.

Murray needs a change of scenery to rebound. Will he? Dunno. With probably the most crowded goalie market in memory i'm doubtful we get JR's demand of a 1st round pick. hopefully i'm wrong

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Like a door at the Roy residence, this wanker is unhinged.

I mean, I'm not the one accusing an agent of falsifying a story and complaining about the "attitude and ego" of a person I've never met. I'm judging Yohe's writing which is shit and only worth it because he is the closest one to JR, probably because they both like to spew bullshit.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I am fairly confident Murray will have a decent NHL career (ie: will get contracts and stuff but not really win much)

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jarry deserved this contract and Murray deserves a fresh start, and I hope he does do well because of all the moaning about we should have kept him that would happen here. Meanwhile it probably was just more of the same here. Murray probably unleashes and has a good career free of mind and body. I hope he also does well for his own sake cause none of this is his fault. Good guy from what I can tell.

Funny would be, if both Fleury and Murray ended up in the same place. Man the darkside juices would be flowing...

I'll always have fond memories of all these guys, it's just a shitty thing business gets in the way. I'd keep them all while they are still able.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad