Jarome Iginla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dtb1381

Dec 30, 2011
Boston
What are Iggys incentives like? Say he only scores 20 goals and 50 points, will this help us remain under the salary cap and not get the penalty that will result in lost cap next year?

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Nope. :laugh:

If I'm being completely honest, I've been largely unimpressed with his play this year.

I'm been really impressed with his play.. just not the results on the score sheet.

I know people make fun of the whole "But he tries really hard!" but that's exactly how I feel. He's out there making plays, keeping the puck in the offensive zone, getting physical, defending team mates, making good passes, grinding in the corners and even occasionally killing penalties. He's doing all the right things on the ice...

...Just not scoring. Which, admittedly, is a rather big problem since he was signed to score goals.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I'm been really impressed with his play.. just not the results on the score sheet.
...Just not scoring. Which, admittedly, is a rather big problem since he was signed to score goals.

This is my take on it. I think he really elevates Lucic and Krejci and brings a lot... just not goals, and we need goals.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
End of Game Third Star Video?

I didn't stay up to see the third star video, in which Z & friends blocked the bench so the Iggman had to take another lap.

Could someone post a link to this footage, if possible? It was a very "team-centric" thing to do, typical of the captain. :handclap::yo::nod:

Revisionhky22

Apr 16, 2013
While it was great to see him honored last night. I must say I'm a little concerned about him being on our top scoring line. I know he's a superstar in the league based off his past but....

The last 4 or 5 games especially he turns the puck over every time he gets it on the wall, and I have yet to see him hit the net on a one-timer. He's a good player but he was brought in to be a top line scoring right winger..so far I don't see it and it concerns me come playoff time!

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
While it was great to see him honored last night. I must say I'm a little concerned about him being on our top scoring line. I know he's a superstar in the league based off his past but....

The last 4 or 5 games especially he turns the puck over every time he gets it on the wall, and I have yet to see him hit the net on a one-timer. He's a good player but he was brought in to be a top line scoring right winger..so far I don't see it and it concerns me come playoff time!

For whatever reason, Iginla tends to get the majority of his goals in the 2nd half of the season.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Still love what I've seen from him this year, although him missing the net so much is getting pretty frustrating.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
At this point if Iggy scores 25 goals in the regular season and 10 in the playoffs I'd probably be satisfied. His slow start is a pretty big concern though. At least he's still giving the effort...

Jagr btw has nearly twice as many goals for the Devils right now (11). Was he really that bad of a fit for us or was it the money?

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Nope. :laugh:

If I'm being completely honest, I've been largely unimpressed with his play this year.

Without a doubt, playing with the best centre he has EVER played with, Iginla will score 40 goals. Not even a question in my mind :naughty:

Jagr btw has nearly twice as many goals for the Devils right now (11). Was he really that bad of a fit for us or was it the money?
The Devils suck and Jagr is getting all the good ice time. He's driving the bus, he isn't a passenger like he was here

Kaoz*

At least thats more than Horton would have brought!

I know it's accepted to rag on past players and you'll get less flak for it, but can you expand upon this? Horton came here and put up 26 goals and 53 points in his first season. Jarome is on pace for about 15 goals and 45 points. Furthermore, 30 games into his first season Horton had 11 goals and 12 assists for 23 points and was a +17, Iggy has just 6 goals and 11 assists for 17 points and is a +12. Horton was the difference in the playoffs for Boston, finally getting them over that 7 game hump and providing the clutch goals that saw us past both Montreal and Tampa. The guy had 36 points in 43 playoff games here. We've lost only 1 of 8 playoff series with Horton in the lineup and that in a series that he could barely move his shoulder, an injury from which he is yet to return. We have no idea what Iginla will bring in the playoffs for us yet.

Or are you basing this on your eyeball test and not production, because eyeball tests are incredibly subjective.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
But he brings clapping.

Not true. He's also fought a few times. Certainly his cheer leading skills coupled with his willingness to drop the gloves more than makes up for the fact he's not doing what the team signed him to do. :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I know people make fun of the whole "But he tries really hard!" but that's exactly how I feel. He's out there making plays, keeping the puck in the offensive zone, getting physical, defending team mates, making good passes, grinding in the corners and even occasionally killing penalties. He's doing all the right things on the ice...

Agreed, his play has been consistently assertive, I don`t see him taking shifts off. The pts will come, bottom line is his influence on Looch is obvious, with Horty, when he wasn`t skating, it seemed Looch also decided to take the night off (far too often I may add), with Iggy, you can tell he`s pushing Looch to keep moving his feet, keep up the intensity etc...

Absolutely not one issue with Iggy. A report card is never complete without playoff games to grade on

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

I agree. I'm very impressed with Iginla's complete game. Players with size that can hit, and steal pucks and make plays and do all those little things well have value, maybe not first line value (without the goals) but enough to be a valuable contributor somewhere in this lineup.

The team is winning and that line is a positive force in games with either goals or momentum swinging zone time shifts, but if the goals don't start to come I think they will need to look at moving him down the lineup allowing him to be more of a complimentary piece, a la Mark Recchi.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I know it's accepted to rag on past players and you'll get less flak for it, but can you expand upon this? Horton came here and put up 26 goals and 53 points in his first season. Jarome is on pace for about 15 goals and 45 points. Furthermore, 30 games into his first season Horton had 11 goals and 12 assists for 23 points and was a +17, Iggy has just 6 goals and 11 assists for 17 points and is a +12. Horton was the difference in the playoffs for Boston, finally getting them over that 7 game hump and providing the clutch goals that saw us past both Montreal and Tampa. The guy had 36 points in 43 playoff games here. We've lost only 1 of 8 playoff series with Horton in the lineup and that in a series that he could barely move his shoulder, an injury from which he is yet to return. We have no idea what Iginla will bring in the playoffs for us yet.

Or are you basing this on your eyeball test and not production, because eyeball tests are incredibly subjective.

Horty is hurt. Has he played for CBJ yet?

I think with Horton you have to remember that fans were often frustrated with him due to lack of effort. If we resigned him and he has one bad playoffs he becomes a serious hate figure who could possibly be booed whenever he touches the puck. Keeping him around would have had a lot of risk especially given the concussions.

Iginla is no risk. He should have more points but the effort seems there and Krejci and Lucic seem to like playing with him. I just hope he is reasonable in the summer if he wants to hang around here for longer I don't want to overpay him again.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I think with Horton you have to remember that fans were often frustrated with him due to lack of effort. If we resigned him and he has one bad playoffs he becomes a serious hate figure who could possibly be booed whenever he touches the puck. Keeping him around would have had a lot of risk especially given the concussions.

Iginla is no risk. He should have more points but the effort seems there and Krejci and Lucic seem to like playing with him. I just hope he is reasonable in the summer if he wants to hang around here for longer I don't want to overpay him again.

After/since both of his concussions, Horty`s physical game had completely disappeared. Not that he was ever a bruiser but his willingness to at least go into the corners and battle were there. Couple that with his already frustrating habit of being able to play 20+ minutes with nobody noticing he was out there, and THOSE to me left me more than comfortable with him not being re-signed or him signing to the highest bidder

Kaoz*

Right, and we don't have any other players that fit that bill at all! :sarcasm:

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
After/since both of his concussions, Horty`s physical game had completely disappeared. Not that he was ever a bruiser but his willingness to at least go into the corners and battle were there. Couple that with his already frustrating habit of being able to play 20+ minutes with nobody noticing he was out there, and THOSE to me left me more than comfortable with him not being re-signed or him signing to the highest bidder

For different reasons, both guys are/were the weakest link on that line. Neither one stinks though. But if you truly found a fit with Krejci and Lucic... I can't imagine the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad