Jarome Iginla

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
If his play doesn't improve I would not look to resign him. You can see the skill level, but you can see the age even more.

Obviously he is known to be a slow starter, so obviously we have a ways to go before we know how old he really will look by season's end.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It is weird, I think he has performed exactly like I thought he would (but hoped he didn't), and I am still underwhelmed.

It doesn't make sense, but I guess I was holding out hope he'd find a little bit of the fountain of youth.

I think he has played incredibly well IMO. The goals aren't quite there in bunches but he is winning all of his battles and making plays for the rest of the line, as well as firing a bunch of rubber at the net.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I think he has played incredibly well IMO. The goals aren't quite there in bunches but he is winning all of his battles and making plays for the rest of the line, as well as firing a bunch of rubber at the net.

He seems "off." His decision making, his passes, everything is just a bit off. He is competing, absolutely, and he hasn't been bad, just.....off.

I think "incredibly well" is beyond generous.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
My only concern is his shot accuracy. The hitting, skating, puck battles, and effort are all there.. he's just not shooting with any precision. Though I love his trigger-happiness. We need a guy who will continuously shoot, regardless of confidence. He just needs to to work on his accuracy. But overall, he looks good to me.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
Don't want him on shootouts. He is not shooting accurately and the one time he attempted to make a move on the shootout (vs. Dallas) he looked like an amateur.

His compete level is what makes me like him overall, and i also like how he throws it on net... but he appears to be regressing just a little. It was nice to see him get involved with that beautiful assist on Krejci's GWG in OT.

He's playing so hard that, given his age... i wonder if he will be less effective than he is now come play off time. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it, but at least the effort is there.

This is where the contract stipulation comes in. Should he get hurt at some point in the near future, he could end up making a fraction of the $6M he's supposed to make this year if he meets contract incentives (i think only $2.7M was the base salary??).

Without injury, he will pass that 10 goal threshold, i am sure. But if he misses some time, who knows? He hasn't been scoring goals, i found myself almost mad at Lucic when Looch passed up an empty net goal and handed the ENG to Iginla.

Empty net or not, that goal counts. I'd rather see Iggy have to WORK for his goals. After all, over $3M hangs in the balance for him to reach 10 goals. This isn't to say i don't want him to reach that benchmark... he better reach that benchmark for the money he will likely end up getting.

But hypothetically... if he ends up missing significant time and ends the year with something like 11-12 goals, i'll be pissed because those couple extra goals [of course] WOULD NOT be worth an extra $3.5-ish million.

And yes, i am aware i am totally over-thinking this. I just think the contract he signed was so strange, the whole 10-goal thing.

I will say it one more time though, he should not be in shootouts. Not until he starts showing more shot accuracy or some dekeing ability.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Don't want him on shootouts. He is not shooting accurately and the one time he attempted to make a move on the shootout (vs. Dallas) he looked like an amateur.

His compete level is what makes me like him overall, and i also like how he throws it on net... but he appears to be regressing just a little. It was nice to see him get involved with that beautiful assist on Krejci's GWG in OT.

He's playing so hard that, given his age... i wonder if he will be less effective than he is now come play off time. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it, but at least the effort is there.

This is where the contract stipulation comes in. Should he get hurt at some point in the near future, he could end up making a fraction of the $6M he's supposed to make this year if he meets contract incentives (i think only $2.7M was the base salary??).

Without injury, he will pass that 10 goal threshold, i am sure. But if he misses some time, who knows? He hasn't been scoring goals, i found myself almost mad at Lucic when Looch passed up an empty net goal and handed the ENG to Iginla.

Empty net or not, that goal counts. I'd rather see Iggy have to WORK for his goals. After all, over $3M hangs in the balance for him to reach 10 goals. This isn't to say i don't want him to reach that benchmark... he better reach that benchmark for the money he will likely end up getting.

But hypothetically... if he ends up missing significant time and ends the year with something like 11-12 goals, i'll be pissed because those couple extra goals [of course] WOULD NOT be worth an extra $3.5-ish million.

And yes, i am aware i am totally over-thinking this. I just think the contract he signed was so strange, the whole 10-goal thing.

I will say it one more time though, he should not be in shootouts. Not until he starts showing more shot accuracy or some dekeing ability.

Don't know where you heard this 10 goals from, but his base salary is 1.8million as per capgeek.com.

MOOKER411

Nov 13, 2009
KERROBERT, SASK
Iggy may not be lighting the lamp all that much but as far as I am concerned the whole K-I-L line is underacheiving. They are getting chances though and when they bring 100% effort they are awesome so I would not change that line at all.

Season will be full of ups and downs but when you look at Iggy underacheiving then just look over at a guy like Reilly Smith who is playing well above expectations. That is what I love most about this team. They don't need to rely on a single source or line to get the job done. It seems any combination of 3 out of 4 lines can usually win us a hockey game. Some games it looks like everyone took the night off but when all 4 lines are playing up to their potential then look the hell out.

Kaoz*

Iggy may not be lighting the lamp all that much but as far as I am concerned the whole K-I-L line is underacheiving. They are getting chances though and when they bring 100% effort they are awesome so I would not change that line at all.

Season will be full of ups and downs but when you look at Iggy underacheiving then just look over at a guy like Reilly Smith who is playing well above expectations. That is what I love most about this team. They don't need to rely on a single source or line to get the job done. It seems any combination of 3 out of 4 lines can usually win us a hockey game. Some games it looks like everyone took the night off but when all 4 lines are playing up to their potential then look the hell out.

At some point it has to stop being called underachieving. Krejci and Lucic are on pace for their career averages, the inconsistency we can expect from both each season. Iggy is the only unknown, and right now he looks either a step behind or he doesn't know how to make the offense work in this system as well as he has on others. I know people want to see 30+ from him, some even 40+ so I think some were setting themselves up for disappointment right out of the gate. Top 6 forward production tends to be slightly less in Boston then it is elsewhere. I had him pegged around 20-25 and he needs to step up production to reach even those very modest numbers. With the whole slow starter thing though I'd be leery about saying he couldn't.

Still have no idea why Julien is so stubborn with his top 6. I don't mean moving people in or out of it, I mean trying different combinations within it. It would be nice to see some movement around those two lines with Eriksson moving over the Krejci line, or even Marchand swapping out for Looch. Just to see if you can find any fire, even if it were for a short time.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012

What's the deal with the 4.2M $?
Does he have to score 10 goals to earn it?

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Lucic seems to be playing a little lackadaisical lately.. passing pucks right into the opponents stick, being stripped of pucks easily and being stood up at the blue line.

The most consistent player on that line in my opinion is Iginla. He works hard each and every shift. Both Krejci and Lucic seem to be going through the motions a bit.

With that said, Iginla still hasn't found his scoring touch. He's missing the net a lot. That line just seems too good and talented to stay this quiet for much longer though.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
The nice thing about Iginla is that when Krejci and Lucic have their dry spells, it looks like Iginla will just keep on keepin' on, whereas Horton would become invisible. His consistency should help Krejci and Lucic be more consistent.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
The nice thing about Iginla is that when Krejci and Lucic have their dry spells, it looks like Iginla will just keep on keepin' on, whereas Horton would become invisible. His consistency should help Krejci and Lucic be more consistent.

I agree with you here. I think When Lucic and Krejci go dry which we all know they will over an 82 game season we will not be wondering if their right wing is dressed for the game (and I loved Horton but I loved playoff Horton). Iggy seems like the effort is there every night. He is off to a bit of a slow start but the guy hits, fights and lets you know he is actually in the game.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
He toyed with us in that first exhibition game against the Habs with some classic snipes - would love to see some of that very soon.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

You mean keep on not scoring? Sure, he's done that in spades this year. People can gloss over it if they want, but it's a problem when the guy they brought in to be their consistent scoring threat is consistently not scoring. The first three lines are doing a piss poor job scoring on a regular basis, actually, and it's being masked by the defense scoring at an inordinate rate. Hard to make a deep run in the playoffs if you're counting on your defense to carry the offense, IMO. I'm sure people here will dismiss this post because Iggy got in a couple of fights though. Since you know, he was brought here to be the new ShawnThornton. :naughty:

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
You mean keep on not scoring? Sure, he's done that in spades this year. People can gloss over it if they want, but it's a problem when the guy they brought in to be their consistent scoring threat is consistently not scoring. The first three lines are doing a piss poor job scoring on a regular basis, actually, and it's being masked by the defense scoring at an inordinate rate. Hard to make a deep run in the playoffs if you're counting on your defense to carry the offense, IMO. I'm sure people here will dismiss this post because Iggy got in a couple of fights though. Since you know, he was brought here to be the new ShawnThornton. :naughty:

I like some of the things I have seen from Iginla but in my opinion he is not at the same level as Horton, when Horton comes to play i.e. in the playoffs. I think he should be on the 3rd line. I would move Soderberg or Smith up now to develop some chemistry before it is too late.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site

mark my words. Iginla will have roughly 10 goals at game 41, and then score 20 in the final 41 for another 30 goal season.

You guys will see. This is normal for Jarome, but I suppose not for B's fans. Before the shortened season last year Iginla had scored 30 or more goals in 11 straight seasons....and in everyone he was a much better 2nd half player.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I like Iginla and I like the way he's been playing despite not scoring, but he's being paid to score and he isn't nor is the rest of the first line. I think Iginla is the one guy on that line that plays hard every shift. Lucic and Krejci right now have both mailed it in at the moment.

The first line has been fairly irrelevant for the last 2-3 weeks now. This is a line that needs to be scoring at least 1 goal per game. As of now they are just over 0.5 gpg. That isn't good enough.

I don't think I want to see Iginla moved from Krejci's line because I'm not sure Bergeron is a good fit to play with Iginla.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
He has been bad when the pick is on his stick. Lots of turnovers and poor decisions. He has been good away from the puck because he is smart and works hard.

Last edited:

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
He has been bad when three pick is on his sick. Lots of turnovers and poor decisions. He has been good away from the puck because he is smart and works hard.

True... this is something I'd like to see from Lucic... keeping the skates moving instead of coasting a la Horton.

Madturk

Oct 31, 2013
Florida
Was expecting more from Iginla at this point. I hope some of you are right about his historic slow starts. 30 goals seems like a tall order at this point.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I like the way Iginla fits on the team and I think he is playing well when he doesn't have the puck but I don't think I have seen someone miss the net as much as him, he just loads up and shoots it wide over and over.

Hoping he picks it up later in the season.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Love the effort and the all around play had been solid. But he's shooting like he's used to soccer nets. He was paid to score and he needs to start. He's getting plenty of chances.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
In the last 7 years Iginla has scored 10,10,13,10,8,9 and 10 goals in his first 20 games,skipping last year.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I have a feeling Iginla and probably Bergeron won't be playing on Team Canada so I think they'll have a really strong second half. Bergy looks like he needs the rest and as much as I'd be happy for him to make the team again I'm hoping his slow start ruins his chances and he's able to rest up during the break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad