Player Discussion Jared Spurgeon

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth

5'9" - 185lbs on 6'1" - 190lbs. :laugh:

Spurgeon's gotta be all muscle if he's nearly Crabb's weight... Or these weights are inaccurate.

I know you're making a joke, but hits aren't all about weight, they're about momentum and leverage. Spurgeon has excellent technique, and it's why he doesn't get pushed around a lot on the ice despite his diminutive size.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Bumpity bump.

So, now that Spurgeon is penciled into our #1 D-pairing, what are your expectations? His playing alongside one of the best defensive D-men in the game and is expected to receive top PP minutes and large minutes overall. Can he handle it? Will we see a Spurgeon explosion?

I'm predicting 5+20 for the shortened season. Yes, I'm a believer.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Bumpity bump.

So, now that Spurgeon is penciled into our #1 D-pairing, what are your expectations? His playing alongside one of the best defensive D-men in the game and is expected to receive top PP minutes and large minutes overall. Can he handle it? Will we see a Spurgeon explosion?

5+20 for what, too much man? :sarcasm:

Mumbler*

I know you're making a joke, but hits aren't all about weight, they're about momentum and leverage. Spurgeon has excellent technique, and it's why he doesn't get pushed around a lot on the ice despite his diminutive size.

Your avatar is ishy.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Spurgie as i see it is a smart and small defender that will earn alot just by playing around one of the best D's in the game (clearly)

He will use his IQ to get in good positions for good passes either its a feed to Suter for a slapper or a smooth pass for Zach to get a breakaway..

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Spurgeon just won Norris Trophy in my GM mode in NHL13, he was playing for Flames and the season was 2016/2017 ..traded him away many many years ago ..hmmm :laugh:

second line

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
He played in my 1st pairing the whole season (2012-2013). Wild won the Stanley Cup and I believe he was something like 3+15 in the playoffs. :laugh:

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Bumpity bump.

25 points in 48 games?? Now thats a reach. Not sure he is that offensive for that to happen. 18 or so points is a better estimate.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
25 points in 48 games?? Now thats a reach. Not sure he is that offensive for that to happen. 18 or so points is a better estimate.

He scored 8+43=51 in 54GP on his final WHL season and 9 points in 21 AHL games. He played 53 games on his first NHL season and scored 12 points, but that was with very limited minutes. Last year he already had 23 points in 70 games, again with very limited minutes and on the lowest-scoring team in the NHL.

At this rate, I don't see 0,5PPG being out of reach at all.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
hopefully everyone's points will go up. That doesn't necessarily mean they're better or took a leap forward in development, though. If he gets to play with Suter, Spurgeons points had better go up or we're (the team) doing something wrong.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
If Spurgeon is paired with Suter and out with the top line a lot, then I don't think those point totals are out of reach at all. He will pick up a lot of secondary assists.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
As requested by a couple guys on this board, here is a tribute that I put together of Jared Spurgeon. I hope you guys don't hate the song. :P

The editing on this one is a bit sloppy - not as good as the Parise video but that's because I had less to work with. You'll notice that I had to cut up the song due to the amount of footage that was available to me on YouTube.

Hope you guys like it regardless:

geowild

Mostly Harmless
Jun 22, 2012
Western 'burbs
As requested by a couple guys on this board, here is a tribute that I put together of Jared Spurgeon. I hope you guys don't hate the song. :P

The editing on this one is a bit sloppy - not as good as the Parise video but that's because I had less to work with. You'll notice that I had to cut up the song due to the amount of footage that was available to me on YouTube.

Hope you guys like it regardless:

Dayumn. Jared Spurgeon, All Star. Nice job.

Alright, if he can stay healthy he might have a decent career as a 4-6 on a good team. Whether he can stay healthy, we'll see. . . but I really can't complain that he's been worse than Scandella or Stoner that way. . . . yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad