Confirmed with Link: Jared Cowen signed to PTO [Released]

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If Jared Cowen has a better showing than Bigras at camp and makes the team over him we shouldn't be mad. That means Bigras was awful. Do you guys understand how bad Cowen is? If he's better than Bigras we shouldn't be upset that Bigras isn't on the Avalanche.

I'm not expecting that to happen, but I'm just putting it into perspective.

What I'm afraid of is that Bigras performs decently, but lines more up as a 6/7 and because of that they send him down for minutes. Opening a spot for Cowen to be that 7 and helping prevent the call up of Bigras 10-15 games into the season.

I personally don't want the Avs to tank this next season... they issue is that they are just going to be a below average team with a horrible coach. The season is pretty much over before it starts. Players who have some AHL experience (say a full season plus) so get looks when a team is expected to be that bad. There isn't anything to lose once they have their feet adequately wet professionally. If the Avs were a bubble or better team, I'd say bring this on and let him earn a spot.

Players that have legit NHL talent and professional experience, like Bigras, Lindholm, Mironov, etc should be given every chance to make the team and not blocked if they are on the edge. It wouldn't be bad for any of them to sit as a scratch for 5 games or so until an injury happens.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What I'm afraid of is that Bigras performs decently, but lines more up as a 6/7 and because of that they send him down for minutes. Opening a spot for Cowen to be that 7 and helping prevent the call up of Bigras 10-15 games into the season.

I personally don't want the Avs to tank this next season... they issue is that they are just going to be a below average team with a horrible coach. The season is pretty much over before it starts. Players who have some AHL experience (say a full season plus) so get looks when a team is expected to be that bad. There isn't anything to lose once they have their feet adequately wet professionally. If the Avs were a bubble or better team, I'd say bring this on and let him earn a spot.

Players that have legit NHL talent and professional experience, like Bigras, Lindholm, Mironov, etc should be given every chance to make the team and not blocked if they are on the edge. It wouldn't be bad for any of them to sit as a scratch for 5 games or so until an injury happens.

This is what I've been trying to say all summer, so I agree.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

I don't think it's fair to place any of the aforementioned players above Cowen at the moment. Either you believe that players that got drafted by us should be privileged or you don't take the fact that Cowen is only 26 in consideration. Either way, adding someone to the mix can't and will not hurt. We're not talking Brad Stuart or Francois Beauchemin here.

Also, I like how everyone conveniently ignore genuine Sens fans who come here to say good things about Cowen, like they don't know what the heck they are talking about. I'm sure our fellow AVS fans who watch the Sens twice a year know better.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France

Yeah, I really want the Avalanche to give Bigras a chance to play at least half a season or 50 games to really get an idea at where he's at in his development. I'd be really disappointed if he just sat out the entire season.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I just don't want to roll the dice again sending Bigras down to the AHL. He got hurt last year and half the board suddenly decided he was a bust. I think it's sink or swim in the big leagues time for him, and I feel confident that he'll swim, at least in a bottom pair role. Ideally, he and Barberio switch places at some point in the season.

Cowen is most definitely worse than both Stuart and Beauchemin at their lowest points with us. Being 26 instead of 36 doesn't magically make him a better hockey player. I don't want him to get a contract at all, I just refuse to prematurely fret about it just because it's possible. It's possible a rampaging badger will rip my balls off tomorrow, but it's no sense getting worked up about it.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

I certainly agree with what you posted. I am a big Bigras fan, so I would like to see him play and play a lot this season.

I do believe that people are overstating the PTO with Cowen and his prospects of making the team. He has not played professional hockey (or organized hockey at a higher level) for over one and half years. Many are questioning his health and how his solid his skating will be at this point, but after that long of a lay off, his puck skills likely have degraded. It is not something that will immediately come back with him after a few practices or a couple of preseason games. So in that regard, he faces a real uphill climb to make the team in my mind.

We shall see. I have questioned at times whether the biggest supporters of Bigras have left the organization (Roy and Tourigny). I believe Sakic still likes him, but I question whether Bednar and Pratt hold him in high regard.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think it's fair to place any of the aforementioned players above Cowen at the moment. Either you believe that players that got drafted by us should be privileged or you don't take the fact that Cowen is only 26 in consideration. Either way, adding someone to the mix can't and will not hurt. We're not talking Brad Stuart or Francois Beauchemin here.

Also, I like how everyone conveniently ignore genuine Sens fans who come here to say good things about Cowen, like they don't know what the heck they are talking about. I'm sure our fellow AVS fans who watch the Sens twice a year know better.

Cowen, even at 26, is a FAR worse hockey player than those two. It isn't even close.

I watch a lot of Sens games. Way, way more than 2 a year.

I certainly agree with what you posted. I am a big Bigras fan, so I would like to see him play and play a lot this season.

I do believe that people are overstating the PTO with Cowen and his prospects of making the team. He has not played professional hockey (or organized hockey at a higher level) for over one and half years. Many are questioning his health and how his solid his skating will be at this point, but after that long of a lay off, his puck skills likely have degraded. It is not something that will immediately come back with him after a few practices or a couple of preseason games. So in that regard, he faces a real uphill climb to make the team in my mind.

We shall see. I have questioned at times whether the biggest supporters of Bigras have left the organization (Roy and Tourigny). I believe Sakic still likes him, but I question whether Bednar and Pratt hold him in high regard.

The fact that only 3 NHL defnsemen are signed and maybe one more give plenty of room for the other 4 spots, and the perfect excuse to bury a player like Bigras for 'playing minutes.' It would be different if Cowen could still play... he's done and he's been done for years.

Bednar and Pratt are not fans.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

You really need to figured out which posters here are not the typical fan who only sees each team twice a year.

And it hilarious how you keep pointing to his age. Based on descriptions of the guy he is another Beauch or Stuart, just younger. Old wasnt the problem with these guys.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
The prospects have something Cowen does not, a NHL contract.

As far as the worry, it's not like this is some irrational fanwanking. The guy has been invited to camp. He's one step away.

And? I'm sure if he gets signed (maybe on a 2-way, who knows) he deserves it. The way it looks rights now we HAVE to ice at least 2 of the kids - ready or not. A bit scary if you ask me.

The second thing i'm sure of is that they still try to improve the D and a guy like Cowen is only here in case that nothing else works out. Maybe it isn't a bad idea to wait until trainig camp before we riot :popcorn:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

If Cowen gets a contract, we'll all wish he was as good as Stuart or Beauch.

And? I'm sure if he gets signed (maybe on a 2-way, who knows) he deserves it. The way it looks rights now we HAVE to ice at least 2 of the kids - ready or not. A bit scary if you ask me.

The second thing i'm sure of is that they still try to improve the D and a guy like Cowen is only here in case that nothing else works out. Maybe it isn't a bad idea to wait until trainig camp before we riot :popcorn:

That's a lot less scary than having to play Cowen.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Bednar and Pratt are not fans.

Oh boy, a pair of low-skilled, low IQ plugs don't like a high IQ, elite skating defenseman.

Get these clowns away from this organization before they contribute to a Bigras trade that we'll majorly regret.

It'll sicken me to see him traded to Nashville or Carolina and watch him flourish into a top-4 D. :shakehead

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
The prospects have something Cowen does not, a NHL contract.

As far as the worry, it's not like this is some irrational fanwanking. The guy has been invited to camp. He's one step away.

I think the difference is that in my mind that is a big step remaining, if not monumental, while others consider it a mere formality.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's not correct. The worry is that with only 1 step to go, regardless of how big a step, all it takes is one dumb decision and we're stuck with him.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Oh, sure - there are going to be some tough nights on defense for the Avs this upcoming season. Lots of inexperience will be on display all season long (and I include Zadorov in there).

But it's necessary, IMO. The Avs need to see what these young guys can do, and they need to see at the NHL level.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
If you're going to suck, at least see what you have in young guys.

Cowen was terrible when he was in the NHL and I don't think 18 months of inactivity is going to make him better.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Oh, sure - there are going to be some tough nights on defense for the Avs this upcoming season. Lots of inexperience will be on display all season long (and I include Zadorov in there).

But it's necessary, IMO. The Avs need to see what these young guys can do, and they need to see at the NHL level.

absolutly. i'm 100% with you ... BUT ...

the way i see it is after the season we just had the upcoming one will be pretty much the last chance for our core (+/- Duchy), our HC and maybe even our GM to show that they belong. They simply can't afford another season even remotely close to the last one. And icing a blueline, if EJ/Barrie gets injured, with 3-5 rookies is a huge risk. Not that someone like Cowen will change that - he is just one more option and a guy with NHL experience.

I will start getting mad when they start signing PTOs to forwards - because our offence (specially our young guns) looks really promising ...

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
''Irregardless'' of Cowen, the Avs are going to suck, I don't understand all the fuss about a PTO.

That's true, and it's probably what they need anyway to draft another high pick, maybe win the lottery this time. But i really don't want them to have another 48 point season, because i'm getting sick and tired of everyone trashing the Avs like they are the worst team in the NHL history.

What i want is at least a 20 or 25 point improvement, and that will at least gain the team some respect and still give them a chance at winning the lottery and draft Dahlin. Cowen getting a contract and playing a full season will not help them get that 20 or 25 point improvement. I rather have them give that ice time to youngsters in the system.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
''Irregardless'' of Cowen, the Avs are going to suck, I don't understand all the fuss about a PTO.

It's frustrating because despite initial indications they FINALLY understand what kinds of players they need to be successful, they go and invite the exact type of player that's been dragging them down, a guy who's measurably WORSE than the terrible defensemen that have been sucking up all the cap space and ice time these past few years.

Everyone knows they will suck, I'm just tired of them continuing to do so with no clear vision on getting out of it, and seemingly making the same mistakes.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
For all we know, he's going to be buried in the AHL on a two-way deal so we can have room to call up Bigras and Siemens as the 6/7 D. Run with Warsofsky/Cowen/Boikov on the left side in the minors, with Warsofsky and Boikov as the first two callups. It's not like they'll be worried about him not passing waivers.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
What I don't get is why even give this type of players a PTO. Teams that give PTOs to players like Cowen are teams who are gonna contend for playoffs for some depth. Avs are a rebuilding team, even if they don't know it yet, rebuild is what they need, and Cowen doesn't fit the plan, and every year is the same. Getting rid of garbage only to pick up more garbage. I just don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad