Confirmed with Link: Jared Cowen signed to PTO [Released]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I really don't get all the drama. Most of you want to tank anyway. So if Cowen is as bad as most of you think and Bednar overplays him then - HOORAY - a better shot at Dahlin. And if he's better than expected then - HOORAY - we have a serviceable LD for nothing. Win Win if you ask me.

Btw, hey, I'm the new guy and man is it fun to read threads like this - just awesome ;)

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I really don't get all the drama. Most of you want to tank anyway. So if Cowen is as bad as most of you think and Bednar overplays him then - HOORAY - a better shot at Dahlin. And if he's better than expected then - HOORAY - we have a serviceable LD for nothing. Win Win if you ask me.

Btw, hey, I'm the new guy and man is it fun to read threads like this - just awesome ;)
You are new so I give you a pass but you don't get it... People here want the Avs to tank AND be good at the same time. :sarcasm: ;)

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
You are new so I give you a pass but you don't get it... People here want the Avs to tank AND be good at the same time. :sarcasm: ;)

Correct me if i' wrong but what you are saying is ppl want a much improved Avs Team who finish just barely out of the Playoffs because they are that damn ... improved ... AND snag up some Swedish D stud.

If that is true then man i have a lot to learn :sarcasm:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
What i'm worried more about this PTO is not Cowen, i'm worried that Avs and Zadorov are far apart in contract negotiation, and actually there is a good chance that Zadorov will go to KHL, that's why a left handed d-man PTO like Cowen is needed.

And lets face it, if Zadorov goes to KHL, that's basically losing ROR for nothing, and it would be just devastating.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Welcome to the Pity Party, where the worst case scenario is always the first one we consider. ;)

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Okay, let me explain the attitude of "tweeners" like myself.

I don't want another full-on "tank", nor am I expecting even a competitive team this fall. I want to see a team making progress though since all we ever ****ing see is a team that has one fluke playoff run followed by runs of mediocrity of worse. Ever since the glory days effectively ended in 2004 and then they pulled the plug in 2008 they haven't built anything whatsoever. I just want to see semi-watchable hockey. And I am sick--so very sick--of bargain-bin veterans cluttering this stupid roster. If they must fail, then ****ing fail with the youth. Enough already with acquisitions of has-beens and never-weres.

I still think this is insurance in case Zads bolts. And that just cements my view that this is the most incompetent front office in the National Hockey League.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This is the kind of response that gets me. When Sakic is doing the same as other GMs, the other teams are disregarded. However other teams/GMs are quickly brought up when it is to show that Sakic is doing something bad. Try to be consistent at least. It goes both ways.

When did I do this? or are you saying this in general?

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
As an Ottawa fan, I watched Cowen come up. He had his moments to justify some of the hype, and the hip was definitely a factor, but the hardest part for him was to accept he wasn't an offensive guy. Before his last camp with Ottawa, Murray talked about having difficult conversations with Cowen about accepting that he has to play within his limits.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
i actually don't think Cowen is here to replace Z (not even Sakic can think that), he's here because LD is by far our weakest position. Besides Z (not signed yet) and Babs (a bottom pairing guy for most of us) there are just a bunch of rookies. That's simply not good enough. And to be honest, i'd rather see Cowen eating the famous natchos in the press-box as our 7-8 defencemen than our fistull of rookies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Look at which team we are following here. Spare us the finger wagging.

In hockey, as in all of life, it is a waste of energy to freak out about things that haven't happened yet. There will be plenty of time to panic later, we don't need to get a head start on it now.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You have to look past the draft pedigree and age. We talk ourselves into these miracle projects every year. Then all of a sudden nobody can get moved off the roster a few months into the season and we are stuck with guys. We aren't there yet but they've done nothing to earn the benefit of the doubt.

What I don't understand is why it even matters? If hes a positive addition fine, if not, fine. Do we really believe he is going to be signed regardless of if he is garbage or not?

Yeah this organization has it's faults, but as we've discussed it's figuring out upper level aggressive moves, and building a legitimate culture where development matters. Which the later is something they're trending in the right direction with.

They are not total idiots completely devoid of evaluating talent. At least not to the level where a stupid slow player (if that is what he is) is going to be signed because of his draft pedigree from 8 years ago. Especially not if they are actually focused on being a faster team.

My point with my one liner above, is the level of 3rd degree this is getting assumptions of incompetence just for giving a mid twenties defender a shot is at a concerning level.

Also for the record R. Bourque was the least of our worries last season, and actually earned a spot. Then he actually continued to give a **** while other players did not. He was a good example of a pro and filled his role fine.

I just think the reaction here is more akin to running out of a burning building, when the reality is closer to the popcorn getting burnt in the microwave.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They seem to have a difficult time recognizing garbage even when it's served up in steaming heaps. And they have an even harder time dispatching said garbage, or, like last season, they don't even try to.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
They seem to have a difficult time recognizing garbage even when it's served up in steaming heaps. And they have an even harder time dispatching said garbage, or, like last season, they don't even try to.

There's no way they didn't try, come on. The fact that only one of our pending UFAs from the deadline actually has a job yet is very, very telling. If a team isn't willing to sign Tyutin, Mitchell, Bourque, Gelinas or Grigorenko for free on July 1st, why would they give up an asset for a third of a season of them? To say they didn't try is at best speculation, because the alternative theory, that they did try and everybody hung up the phone, is much more plausible based on the information we have now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What I don't understand is why it even matters? If hes a positive addition fine, if not, fine. Do we really believe he is going to be signed regardless of if he is garbage or not?

Yeah this organization has it's faults, but as we've discussed it's figuring out upper level aggressive moves, and building a legitimate culture where development matters. Which the later is something they're trending in the right direction with.

They are not total idiots completely devoid of evaluating talent. At least not to the level where a stupid slow player (if that is what he is) is going to be signed because of his draft pedigree from 8 years ago. Especially not if they are actually focused on being a faster team.

My point with my one liner above, is the level of 3rd degree this is getting assumptions of incompetence just for giving a mid twenties defender a shot is at a concerning level.

Also for the record R. Bourque was the least of our worries last season, and actually earned a spot. Then he actually continued to give a **** while other players did not. He was a good example of a pro and filled his role fine.

I just think the reaction here is more akin to running out of a burning building, when the reality is closer to the popcorn getting burnt in the microwave.

More like this

image_d7e325dd-c332-4486-978c-92eae0ebd713_grande.jpeg

The big picture is the only thing that matters to this org right now. Yes, every single move microscoped down is defensible.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There's no way they didn't try, come on. The fact that only one of our pending UFAs from the deadline actually has a job yet is very, very telling. If a team isn't willing to sign Tyutin, Mitchell, Bourque, Gelinas or Grigorenko for free on July 1st, why would they give up an asset for a third of a season of them? To say they didn't try is at best speculation, because the alternative theory, that they did try and everybody hung up the phone, is much more plausible based on the information we have now.

There's players who were traded at the deadline who don't have a job now.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If Jared Cowen has a better showing than Bigras at camp and makes the team over him we shouldn't be mad. That means Bigras was awful. Do you guys understand how bad Cowen is? If he's better than Bigras we shouldn't be upset that Bigras isn't on the Avalanche.

I'm not expecting that to happen, but I'm just putting it into perspective.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I've watched every NHL game cowen has played. He was good and still has potential.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
If Jared Cowen has a better showing than Bigras at camp and makes the team over him we shouldn't be mad. That means Bigras was awful. Do you guys understand how bad Cowen is? If he's better than Bigras we shouldn't be upset that Bigras isn't on the Avalanche.

I'm so whatever about either Dunk or Bigras that this will likely happen

I seriously hope I'm wrong

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

AVS have the weakest defensive left side in the whole league by fair margin. Both in term of actual players and prospects. If Bigras can't earn his spot there he's simply not an NHL player.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's like y'all have never heard of politics and think camp runs off of an entirely merit based system.

What happened to more AHL time never hurt anyone, no problem if the kids get sent down for more seasoning?

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
It's like y'all have never heard of politics and think camp runs off of an entirely merit based system.

What happened to more AHL time never hurt anyone, no problem if the kids get sent down for more seasoning?

Well I don't think they owe him anything it is a PTO after all

But to me it speaks volumes as to where they view certain guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad