Confirmed with Link: Jared Cowen signed to PTO [Released]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think it's fair to place any of the aforementioned players above Cowen at the moment. Either you believe that players that got drafted by us should be privileged or you don't take the fact that Cowen is only 26 in consideration. Either way, adding someone to the mix can't and will not hurt. We're not talking Brad Stuart or Francois Beauchemin here.

Also, I like how everyone conveniently ignore genuine Sens fans who come here to say good things about Cowen, like they don't know what the heck they are talking about. I'm sure our fellow AVS fans who watch the Sens twice a year know better.

You're right, we're not. We're talking about a defensemen who is much, much worse than either of those two.

Again, I say speak for yourself, because there are a lot of us here who watch a ton of hockey and who have seen a ton of Jared Cowen. He sucks, and has sucked, for a very long time now.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Devil's advocate here, was the perception of Jared Cowen sucking not related to his $4.5 million a year salary? And at some point was he not at least perceived to be worth that salary? Dude's probably a year or so from being a passable top 4 guy but is he that suddenly devoid of all NHL talent or is he just slow?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Devil's advocate here, was the perception of Jared Cowen sucking not related to his $4.5 million a year salary? And at some point was he not at least perceived to be worth that salary? Dude's probably a year or so from being a passable top 4 guy but is he that suddenly devoid of all NHL talent or is he just slow?

I know he's not a favorite around here but Travis Yost used to roast him on a nightly basis. On top of being slow, he's dumb, gets caught out of position all the time. And on top of everything else, he gets hurt. A lot. Why would anyone want a guy who's bad AND injury prone?

And I doubt any perceived attitude issues have changed. I don't know whether contesting the Leafs buyout was his idea or whether the PA intervened on his behalf, but if it was the former, IMO that's not a guy you want on your roster.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

To me from the games I remember he was a slower dumber version of Nick Holden.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What I don't get is why even give this type of players a PTO. Teams that give PTOs to players like Cowen are teams who are gonna contend for playoffs for some depth. Avs are a rebuilding team, even if they don't know it yet, rebuild is what they need, and Cowen doesn't fit the plan, and every year is the same. Getting rid of garbage only to pick up more garbage. I just don't get it.

It's not always about adding players to the team. It's just a PTO. Sometimes they bring these guys in just to have competition in camp. To push the guys who don't have guaranteed spots. They don't want to just let them feel they can comfortably make the team without earning it.

Everyone should just relax a bit. They've given PTO's to guys like Meszaros and Tlusty and not signed them. If he makes it he'll be a depth guy.

It's not the end of the world if Bigras has to start in the AHL again. I know everyone loves certain prospects, and want them to be on the team, but we all know he's talented enough to earn his spot on the team. If he isn't standing out and earning a spot, then let him develop further in the AHL. He's talented enough where he should be able to play his way on to the team either way.

If Bigras isn't standing out and forcing their hand, then he's not playing to his potential, and that's an issue. He's not a high first rounder. He doesn't have the same clout and marketability that highly touted prospects have. He needs to put his balls on the table in camp and pre-season. Come to play and show them he deserves to be on the team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

It was one those 'they'll be a bargain in a few years' sorts of deals. Kinda like the one people hope Z signs. :help:

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Cohen - Mirinov could be quite a handy 3rd line pairing. Especially if Cohen is fit (which is mainly his problem - but will happen with bigger players.)

That said, if we are wanting to go younger & faster, we have a decent group vying for that last spot. By the way everyone - he's 6 foot 5, some places say 6 foot 6. Players that size and weight are never going to be speed skaters. It's about using the body and positioning.

Come on. Are people really questioning his speed?

It's like complaining that Tyson Barrie isn't laying our Zdeno Chara, because Tyson plays defense.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Cohen - Mirinov could be quite a handy 3rd line pairing. Especially if Cohen is fit (which is mainly his problem - but will happen with bigger players.)

That said, if we are wanting to go younger & faster, we have a decent group vying for that last spot. By the way everyone - he's 6 foot 5, some places say 6 foot 6. Players that size and weight are never going to be speed skaters. It's about using the body and positioning.

Come on. Are people really questioning his speed?

It's like complaining that Tyson Barrie isn't laying our Zdeno Chara, because Tyson plays defense.

It's not universal. One of Zadorov's biggest things going for him is his mobility for his size, and he's almost the exact same as Cowen. It's why he has potential and guys like Cowen can't hack it in today's NHL.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
It's not universal. One of Zadorov's biggest things going for him is his mobility for his size, and he's almost the exact same as Cowen. It's why he has potential and guys like Cowen can't hack it in today's NHL.

Ok, he doesn't have anywhere near the skill, but skating wise, he's not too far off Chara.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Sea Eagles... You don't have to be positive about him, he isn't an Av yet. :sarcasm:

We could do worse than him as our 6th D-man, that's for sure. I'd have preferred Franson, but it just looks like that's not going to happen. I've watch Cowen a bit, and honestly, there ARE times you think, holy ####, this guy "could" be good if he could remain healthy.

He's only 26, and a former 9th overall (1st rounder).

Worth a shot. Has a bit more experience than Lindholm, Bigras, Meloche, Siemens & others.

PS: I'm not positive about EVERYTHING, am I? :)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Ok, he doesn't have anywhere near the skill, but skating wise, he's not too far off Chara.

In Chara's prime he was a very mobile defensemen. The fact that Jared Cowen at age 26 is not too far off from Zdeno Chara at age 40 is enough to tell you that Jared Cowen cannot skate, because Chara struggles to get around the ice these days.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Cowen was never considered fast, even as a rookie. The reason he was drafted so high was the same reason Siemens was: He was a manchild that physically dominated his smaller peers in the defensive end, and scouts who were still very much connected to the "old school" NHL defenseman fell in love with him.

If you go back and read some of his old scouting profiles, his strength, size, physicality and work ethic were raved about, while his puck skills could be "worked on" and his injured knee shouldn't hamper his skating.

One place even compared him to Derian Hatcher, so that's all you need to know about that.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
You know basically any other organization I'd assume Cowan is just a body for camp who at best can earn himself a two-way deal and provide some deep depth at LHD. There would be no reason to worry and this is just fans getting worried about nothing. I mean look at the Tanner Glass thread, Flames fans are hyperventilating about him the way we are about Cowen. Most likely there is no reason to think this is anything more than a standard PTO handout to a vet who doesn't have it anymore and that will likely be clear.

But with this franchise you just can't be so sure. I feel like it isn't beyond this front office to play hardball with Zadorov because they think they've got this "ace in the hole" replacement in Cowen. Like Joe and the guys are snickering "hehehe we got this youngish first round pick for free, just try an test us Z...we dare you...we have plenty of left sided defensive options..."

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Wow a lot of you guys talking out of yer ***** here. Safe to say I've watched more Cowen than most here? He gets around well is a good (not bad) skater for his size. His problem was hip injury and lack of coaching. Resulting in attitude issues.
Ship has sailed on him being a senator but I'd be happy to see where he's at as a col fan. He was very good in the NHL (most of the time). All he needs is to be told to play stay at home defence and he will impress. Doesn't hurt that he is a monster of a man with super strength.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Wow a lot of you guys talking out of yer ***** here. Safe to say I've watched more Cowen than most here? He gets around well is a good (not bad) skater for his size. His problem was hip injury and lack of coaching. Resulting in attitude issues.
Ship has sailed on him being a senator but I'd be happy to see where he's at as a col fan. He was very good in the NHL (most of the time). All he needs is to be told to play stay at home defence and he will impress. Doesn't hurt that he is a monster of a man with super strength.

I likey, what I readey.

Having him, and Zadorov SHOULD in part make us tougher to play against.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Ok last thing I'll say. I think his attitude gets a little misunderstood. I was confused at first too. He is a pretty laid back guy. Even in interviews he's like, 'whatever man' but when push comes to shove the guy pushes.
This is pretty nicely displayed in an on ice battle. He'll start by just laughing at the guy then slowly but surely ramps it up to the point where if he wants to he can destroy. Not dissimilar to chara. To be fair it did appear at times that he could take things a little more seriously and he came off a bit cocky. But he was young and capable. I wouldn't read too much in to that. Especially considering this is an outsiders take. Depending on where he is at now. Remains to be seen. I'm curious. (Because with good coaching I believe he can be very effective)

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The Avs are just throwing darts. I don't think Cowen will make the team, but stranger things have happened.

Hell, look at Thomas Hickey. Yes, he was over drafted at 4th overall, but that's besides the point, which is this -

Hickey, a high pick in 2007, was universally considered a bust and didn't play his first NHL game until the midway point of the 2013 season, with his second organization. And he's a solid player now.

I think Cowen is done, but no harm in taking a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad