Confirmed with Link: Jared Cowen signed to PTO [Released]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It was one those 'they'll be a bargain in a few years' sorts of deals. Kinda like the one people hope Z signs. :help:

If Cowen ever had Zadorov's hands, creativity, and hockey-sense; he may have become an NHLer before the injuries destroyed his career. ;)

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Any word on his conditioning/chances? Is he done?

BSN were talking about how he didn't look right skating, like he was still somewhat in pain and not 100%. He gave an interview where he seemed to acknowledge knowing hes a long shot at earning a contract. Really doubt there's a chance given how much they've been burned by big stay at home D who cant move. Also Bednar didn't seem to thrilled when asked about him.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
Any word on his conditioning/chances? Is he done?

I was able to catch a little bit of training camp today and his skating/puck handling seemed sub par from my limit viewing. I would say it's a long shot that he is offered a contract.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Bednar said he has a realistic chance and Cowen said he had a few options and chose the best opportunity so I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. Now he's not showing real well maybe they'll make the decision based on what they see on the ice but I'm not just accepting that assumption. Barb isn't practicing, Z is not on the ice yet either.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I just cant see them signing someone who hasn't played in an entire year and has had a bad showing. Instead of using their waiver priority, and picking up a safer bet. Realistically he's probably their plan D or E.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
They better not sign another completely useless slug but if they do it goes to show just how bad the Avs are at evaluating talent. Either take a D from waivers or use the AHL guys, not counting Cowen who is AHL material. If the kids are not good enough use waivers but if they are, play them. Cowen barely brings anything to the table, can't skate or make plays and brings no offence with questionable defense. He is a fine option for tanking tough. Bednar would probably give him 20+ minutes a night :laugh:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The NHL is so far past players like Jared Cowen it's completely unfathomable to me that he could land an NHL job anywhere in the league. Not even us with our porous defence corps should take him. You need to be able to skate and have basic puck skills in today's NHL, and he has neither. It doesn't help that his awareness on the ice isn't the greatest.

All he's ever really had going for him was how big and mean he is. Problem is, this isn't the 90's.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
This is exactly like the Curtis Glenncross tryout a couple years ago. He won't get a contract if he doesn't have a great camp. And from the sounds of it, much like Glenncross, he's been bad.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I would say I called this from the start, but I moved towards "probably" after the Boikov injury that we would sign him and stuff him in the AHL.

Still though, excellent news, he would have been infuriating to watch.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

Just now saw this.
VoQ0m.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden