Jared Cowen is an RFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
So an oilers fan told me he would be willing to spend 5m+ to obtain cowen. That is just massive over payment for a guy who really just played one full season. If some team off sheets him that much, they can have him. I will literally laugh out loud at the team that is willing to spend that much on cowen.

If we already qualified him, then no other teams can make offer sheets.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
What the hell is this

Don't want to read through the whole thread, is there an explanation as to why he is suddenly RFA?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
If we already qualified him, then no other teams can make offer sheets.

qualifying just means he's an RFA, rather than a UFA (for example we didnt qualify louie caporusso so he is now an unrestricted free agent at 24yo). Teams can still offersheet cowen.

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
What would you guys do if a team offer sheeted a theoretical [email protected] cap hit? The compensation would only be a 1st and a 3rd, hardly what Cowen is worth, but would we want to commit that money to him when we still don't know if he will worth that type of cash long term?

So lose Cowen, or match? What would you do?

TheOriginalSilf*

What would you guys do if a team offer sheeted a theoretical [email protected] cap hit? The compensation would only be a 1st and a 3rd, hardly what Cowen is worth, but would we want to commit that money to him when we still don't know if he will worth that type of cash long term?

Match. Easily. You don't let a guy like Cowen walk away.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

Match. If the deal stinks for us we can trade him away 12 months later for more value than a first and a third.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Don't know what you guys are talking about, but on the Sportsnet ticker I read Cowen has indeed signed an extension...no idea how much or how long.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
It's because you stopped believing in him, "Santa Claus" style.

:sarcasm:

What? Santa isn't real? this friggen forum has ruined my life.

I was just a good ole Ottawa Senators fan to start and now you are all piling on the CBA rules and the disciplinary rules. Then you tell me there is no Santa. :confused::surrender

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
What? Santa isn't real? this friggen forum has ruined my life.

I was just a good ole Ottawa Senators fan to start and now you are all piling on the CBA rules and the disciplinary rules. Then you tell me there is no Santa. :confused::surrender

tumblr_mkkex1Cw5b1rmluqko1_1280.jpg

:sarcasm:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
no, any time in 2010 cowen was considered '19'. Even before his 19th birthday.

to slide twice, he had to sign some time in 2009.
or, if he had signed after the 2009-10 season (ie june 2010), the contract could have slid once from 2010-11 to 2011-12.

The team could have just signed him on March 10th 2010 to a contract to start in the 2010-2011 season. There was no reason they had to have the contract start in 2009-2010. Either they (a) goofed thinking the contract could slide twice, (b) were confident he would make the NHL roster in 2010-2011, or (c) didn't care if they burned a year or more off his SPC.

Teams are allowed to sign their own draft choices between March 1st and June 1st to contracts that start the next season. CBA 50.8(d). Most draft picks are signed in that window.
50.8(d) No Club or Player may enter into an SPC that does not cover at least the then current
League Year. The foregoing does not apply to an SPC entered into pursuant to Section
50.5(f) above, or to Unsigned Draft Choices or Draft Related Unrestricted Free Agents, who
shall be permitted to sign an SPC during the period from March 1 through June 1 immediately
preceding the League Year in which such SPC is to take effect.

edit: oops, fixed year

Last edited:

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
The team could have just signed him on March 10th 2009 to a contract to start in the 2010-2011 season. There was no reason they had to have the contract start in 2009-2010. Either they (a) goofed thinking the contract could slide twice, (b) were confident he would make the NHL roster in 2010-2011, or (c) didn't care if they burned a year or more off his SPC.

Teams are allowed to sign their own draft choices between March 1st and June 1st to contracts that start the next season. CBA 50.8(d). Most draft picks are signed in that window.

um.. cowen was drafted in june 2009, but yeah, point stands.

either the sens goofed, the sens thought he would make the team in 2010-11, or the sens didnt care that they were burning a year.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
this is what we all thought happened:
1. Jared Cowen signed his ELC on February 3rd 2010.
2. Jared Cowen's age on September 15th 2010 was 19. Therefore Jared Cowen signed his ELC as an age 19 player.
3. As a 19 year old player, Cowen's ELC was a 3-year ELC
4. Because cowen did not play more than 10 games in 2009-10, his contract slid to start in 2010-11.
5. For 2010-11, jared cowen SHOULD STILL BE A 19 YEAR OLD PLAYER as his age on September 15th 2010 is still 19.
6. Jared Cowen again did not play more than 10 games in 2010-11. His contract should slide another year.
7. Jared Cowen is now a 20-year-old player for 2011-12. His 3-year ELC should be for the 2011-12, 2012-13, and 2013-14 Seasons.

what really happened?:

and

Because Cowen signed his first contract in 2010 and not in 2009, his first contract signing age was 19, not 18. If your first contract signing age is 19, your contract can only slide once as per 9.1 d (i). To use 9.1 d (ii) to slide a second time, first contract signing age has to be 18.

therefore yes, Jared Cowen is an RFA.

by delaying signing Jared Cowen's ELC to february of 2010 instead of any point between being drafted and december 31st 2009, we lost a year of his ELC.

regarding his UFA age:

Jared Cowen still only has 2 accrued seasons. 2010-11 does not count as an accrued season because he did not play 10 games and was a 19yo player. That means Jared Cowen can reach 7 accrued seasons and UFA after the 2017-18 season. By age, jared cowen turns 27 on January 25th 2018, making him a UFA after the 2017-18 season. We still have 5 more seasons of RFA cowen.

Lawyered.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
@yost, i read your column. You seem to indicate that the sens didnt actually know that cowen was an RFA, based on garrioch's qualification notices. Garrioch tweeted that the only reason he didnt include cowen was that he didnt know he was an RFA.

My best guess is that someone told garrioch that they qualified all the RFA's except for caporusso. Garrioch then went to capgeek and listed the names of all RFA's except for caporusso. Problem was... capgeek didnt know that cowen was an RFA. Capgeek later contacted garrioch (presumably after recieving a master list of nhl RFA's) to confirm Cowen's status, and then garrioch confirmed that cowen was an RFA. (followed by capgeek tweeting it, starting our current confusion).

Yost

Apr 27, 2009
@yost, i read your column. You seem to indicate that the sens didnt actually know that cowen was an RFA, based on garrioch's qualification notices. Garrioch tweeted that the only reason he didnt include cowen was that he didnt know he was an RFA.

My best guess is that someone told garrioch that they qualified all the RFA's except for caporusso. Garrioch then went to capgeek and listed the names of all RFA's except for caporusso. Problem was... capgeek didnt know that cowen was an RFA. Capgeek later contacted garrioch (presumably after recieving a master list of nhl RFA's) to confirm Cowen's status, and then garrioch confirmed that cowen was an RFA. (followed by capgeek tweeting it, starting our current confusion).

A couple of others mentioned this as a possibility. It makes sense.

I linked your recap of the Cowen stuff in there. Broke it down nicely.

Confusing stuff these days.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Don't know what you guys are talking about, but on the Sportsnet ticker I read Cowen has indeed signed an extension...no idea how much or how long.

FWIW, I've got Sportsnet on right now and I just saw this.

They could be ahead of the curve or an intern could just be confused about the recent turn of events.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Cowen is probably going to be a relatively easy contract to resign. Coming off an injury year doesn't help his neogtiating powers and the fact that he's projected to be a defensive defenseman won't get him as much. Even if he's got some Chara like potential that will be a long ways off if it ever develops.

Guys like Wier are a bit harder cause offensive D have money thrown at them even if they are a defensive sieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad