Jared Cowen is an RFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
This is a good thing don't know why people are freaking out.

How is this a good thing? Is it a good thing being that if we do end up resigning him now, we won't have to worry about doing it in the near future.

I think people are freaking out because some people are not so sure of things anymore. Some people were 100% confident that aflie was returning, but look what happened.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
How is this a good thing? Is it a good thing being that if we do end up resigin ng him now, we won't have to worry about doing it in the near future.

I think the point is Cowen should be 100% and then he'd have 2 good seasons (I mean he's a defensive D, it's not going to be that hard) he could point to for a bigger contract.

As for the Alfie bit you edited in - Cowen is an RFA. If he was a UFA yeah I'd be more worried.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think the point is Cowen should be 100% and then he'd have 2 good seasons (I mean he's a defensive D, it's not going to be that hard) he could point to for a bigger contract.

As for the Alfie bit you edited in - Cowen is an RFA. If he was a UFA yeah I'd be more worried.

Oh ok. I see the point now. :)

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Excellent news.

Cowen coming off a very sub par performance and bad showing in the playoffs.

2.5-3 for next 5 years pls.

Cowen can be dominant as soon as next year. We will save wonders.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
So I guess we've known of this for a while. Just that nobody else clued in.

sens2k9

Aug 8, 2008
It can often be a cost savings too, as he's pretty much lock up a lot of cash in his final year of his rookie deal (bonuses).

The team can hopefully negotiate a fair deal for both sides that will likely come in under the cap hit (and potentially dollar amount) he would originally have earned.
He'll probably get 2.5mx3yr (7.5 total) unless they've decided to lock him up for 8 yrs at 4 or 4.5per, buying a couple of ufa years in the process

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
i doubt anything bad happens . RFAs like mcdoungna or pitrangello would sooner be offered contracts then cowen . Who's the last RFA who bolted ? Mezaroes is the only one i can think of .

The Fuhr*

An offer sheet of 3.3 million is only a 2nd in compensation...

INurHome

Mar 25, 2011
Ottawa
So I guess we've known of this for a while. Just that nobody else clued in.

Before the news I came down I was looking at our roster on Capgeek (not THE authority I know)and Cowen was listed as being in the last year of his ELC. Now he his suddenly not, I agree with a certain blogger that this must have just happened.
Have to think you someone would have mentioned it previous to this.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Cowen will prob only want 1-2 years

True but he doesn't warrant a one year deal. He is coming off an injure riddle-season with poor playoff showing. 2 years at least but if I'm Ottawa i'll offer a bit more for a 4 year deal, he could be a real steal with the cap hit he has in the latter 2 years of that contract.

Milan the God*

@TravisHeHateMe: Something off here. Surprise! Ottawa's release of qualified RFA names did not include Jared Cowen, but apparently they did qual. him.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
There are two positive things that come out of this.

1. Like others have mentioned, we probably won't have to pay him as much as we would next offseason.

2. This takes away one person that we have to worry about going rfa come next offseason.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
@TravisHeHateMe: Something off here. Surprise! Ottawa's release of qualified RFA names did not include Jared Cowen, but apparently they did qual. him.

My guess is Ottawa, like us, assumed he was still under current contract. Alan Walsh his **** head of an agent probably did something to convince the NHL and NHLPA that he should be a RFA. So Ottawa had to turn around and qualify him. They probably gave Ottawa an extension in time to prevent him from being a UFA because of the confusion.

The Fuhr*

True but he doesn't warrant a one year deal. He is coming off an injure riddle-season with poor playoff showing. 2 years at least but if I'm Ottawa i'll offer a bit more for a 4 year deal, he could be a real steal with the cap hit he has in the latter 2 years of that contract.

This is a business... Cowen and his agent are not stupid...
Gonchar has left and pp time is there to be had.

A solid 1/2 years and he is in line for a Myers like raise.

I think we could get him for 1.5x2 but then the dudes going to get paid if he's as good as we think he will be

We are lucky he is a RFA now or he would potentially be asking fit the Myers type raise next summer

TheOriginalSilf*

Proud to say I'm blocked on twitter by Walsh. He's an imbecile. Wouldn't surprise me if he was behind this.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This is a business... Cowen and his agent are not stupid...
Gonchar has left and pp time is there to be had.

A solid 1/2 years and he is in line for a Myers like raise.

I think we could get him for 1.5x2 but then the dudes going to get paid if he's as good as we think he will be

We are lucky he is a RFA now or he would potentially be asking fit the Myers type raise next summer

Lol, yes this is business, that's why we also see GM's pay a bit more to see the player stand for another 1-2 years.

2.5 mil on 4 year or 2 mil on 3 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad