Jared Cowen is an RFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fuhr*

Lol, yes this is business, that's why we also see GM's pay a bit more to see the player stand for another 1-2 years.

2.5 mil on 4 year or 2 mil on 3 year deal.

I think your expectations are to high... If we go long term no doubt in my mind Cowen is asking for Hamonic type money

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
This has me confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we get a complete reason as to why this has happened, as another poster said a few days ago Jared was listed as being on the last year of his ELC on capgeek.....................................

Is the NHL turning into WWWF or some other Mickey Mouse organization???????????????????

Yost

Apr 27, 2009

Can we get a complete reason as to why this has happened, as another poster said a few days ago Jared was listed as being on the last year of his ELC on capgeek.....................................

Is the NHL turning into WWWF or some other Mickey Mouse organization???????????????????

I think it's beneficial, but it makes no sense to me.

He was nineteen on September 15 of '10, the year he signed his ELC. He exceeded 10 NHL games twice. I think he should be RFA.

But, I'm guessing there's some caveat in the CBA that I don't see that both sides agreed changes this.

stevrock

Jun 9, 2013

Turning?

I think of all professional sports, NHL is the closest to being a joke.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
this is what we all thought happened:
1. Jared Cowen signed his ELC on February 3rd 2010.
2. Jared Cowen's age on September 15th 2010 was 19. Therefore Jared Cowen signed his ELC as an age 19 player.
3. As a 19 year old player, Cowen's ELC was a 3-year ELC
4. Because cowen did not play more than 10 games in 2009-10, his contract slid to start in 2010-11.
5. For 2010-11, jared cowen SHOULD STILL BE A 19 YEAR OLD PLAYER as his age on September 15th 2010 is still 19.
6. Jared Cowen again did not play more than 10 games in 2010-11. His contract should slide another year.
7. Jared Cowen is now a 20-year-old player for 2011-12. His 3-year ELC should be for the 2011-12, 2012-13, and 2013-14 Seasons.

what really happened?:
CBA 9.1 d (i) said:
In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a
Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season
under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry
Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that
this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to
Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December
31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club
expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an
additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC,
with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary,
games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided,
however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all
circumstances.
and
CBA 9.1 d (ii) said:
In the event that a Player signs his first SPC at age 18 and has had his SPC
extended pursuant to Subsection (i), and such Player does not play at least
ten (10) NHL Games in the second season under that SPC, then the term
of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be
extended for one (1) additional year. Unless a Player and Club expressly
agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional
year in accordance with this Subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the
exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games
played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided,
however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all
circumstances.

Because Cowen signed his first contract in 2010 and not in 2009, his first contract signing age was 19, not 18. If your first contract signing age is 19, your contract can only slide once as per 9.1 d (i). To use 9.1 d (ii) to slide a second time, first contract signing age has to be 18.

therefore yes, Jared Cowen is an RFA.

by delaying signing Jared Cowen's ELC to february of 2010 instead of any point between being drafted and december 31st 2009, we lost a year of his ELC.

regarding his UFA age:
(a) Group 3 Players and Free Agents.
(i) Any Player who either has seven (7) Accrued Seasons or is 27 years of age
or older as of June 30 of the end of a League Year, shall, if his most recent
SPC has expired, with such expiry occurring either as of June 30 of such
League Year or June 30 of any prior League Year, become an Unrestricted
Free Agent. Such Player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an
SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and
sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty or restriction, or being
subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation or any
other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind.

Jared Cowen still only has 2 accrued seasons. 2010-11 does not count as an accrued season because he did not play 10 games and was a 19yo player. That means Jared Cowen can reach 7 accrued seasons and UFA after the 2017-18 season. By age, jared cowen turns 27 on January 25th 2018, making him a UFA after the 2017-18 season. We still have 5 more seasons of RFA cowen.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2010
I am a big time Cowan fan, i want him locked up long-term 6-7 year deal! I personally believe we'd save in the long run.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Because Cowen signed his first contract in 2010 and not in 2009, his first contract signing age was 19, not 18. If your first contract signing age is 19, your contract can only slide once as per 9.1 d (i). To use 9.1 d (ii) to slide a second time, first contract signing age has to be 18.

Yup, caught that as soon as I heard it announced. He was a 19 year signee. Only one slide.

WhiteLight*

by delaying signing Jared Cowen's ELC to february of 2010 instead of any point between being drafted and december 31st 2009, we lost a year of his ELC.

But it didn't even slide once.

He signed it in 2010, and it's done in 2013. It didn't slide.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Honestly, this isn't a big deal from my perspective. We will likely lose a year of RFA finding out if he's worth a long term contract as opposed to an extra year on his ELC, but it isn't the end of the world.

1. His QO is less than his cap hit with bonuses, so he'll actually count LESS against the cap if he plays for his QO. He might make less in actual salary as well.

2. If he doesn't sign his QO, then Ottawa will have to negotiate a new contract for him. In which case, Cowen has only one full season to base his demands which means he'll probably end up signing for something near his QO anyway.

3. Any long term contract demands by Cowen right now will be prohibitively low. It's in Cowen's best interest to play another season as an RFA and THEN seek a new contract next offseason... which was going to happen anyway.

4. Any offersheet made this offseason will force opposing teams to base their offersheet on only 1 sample season of play which can only help Ottawa. If he was an RFA nest season other teams would have had a larger playing sample to project what kind of value he has and there'd be a bigger offersheet risk, IMO.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
But it didn't even slide once.

He signed it in 2010, and it's done in 2013. It didn't slide.

nope, he signed a contract for 2009-10 in february 2010.
so it slid to 2010-11. Even though he was a 19 year old player for 2010-11 and didnt play 10 games, it couldnt slide again because it had already slid once and he signed his first contract as a 19yo player.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Like others have mentioned, this can be a blessing in disguise. Now we have the opportunity to sign Cowen to a 2nd contract that is significantly devalued compared to the one he could command after a breakout year.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Like others have mentioned, this can be a blessing in disguise. Now we have the opportunity to sign Cowen to a 2nd contract that is significantly devalued compared to the one he could command after a breakout year.

Doubtful he does that though unless he REALLLY wants to be an Ottawa Senator 4 lyfe.

His agent will be able to explain that it's in his best interests to negotiate a 1 year deal to bring up his value and then hammer out a short extension for mucho dinero.

WhiteLight*

nope, he signed a contract for 2009-10 in february 2010.
so it slid to 2010-11. Even though he was a 19 year old player for 2010-11 and didnt play 10 games, it couldnt slide again because it had already slid once and he signed his first contract as a 19yo player.

He signed it in 2010, but the first year of the contract was 2009-2010. Not 2010-2011. He even played a game for the Sens in the 2009-2010 season.

wow, so had he signed it anytime in 2009, or in the off-season in 2010, then it would have slid in 2010-11. Crazy.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
OMG this is the worst day in ottawa senators history . Alfie leaving pails in comparison. OMG OMG ...

WhiteLight*

So I think had he signed before he turned 19, so before January 25th 2010, it would have slid twice.

And I think had he signed past the trade deadline, February 28th 2010, then it wouldn't have counted for 2009-10.

So because he signed between Jan 25th and Feb 28th, a 35 day window, his contract slid for 2009-10 but not 2010-11, and he is now RFA.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
CapGeek ‏@capgeek 1m

Nice work by @thereal_danishh to point out that Cowen's signing age is considered 19, not 18, and thus his contract could only slide once.

mad props

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad