Jared Cowen is an RFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteLight*

He's not arguing that Kadri isn't the better prospect, just that Cowen has been more valuable the last 2 years. Kadri provided good offense for Toronto but disappeared in the playoffs. Half a season of good play doesn't beat out what Cowen brought.

Cowen was hurt this year and Cowen disappeared (or was glaringly bad) in the playoffs twice. He had one good season as a 4/5 D. Kadri had one good season as a ppg centre.

ppg centre > 4/5 D

WhiteLight*

He would? Seems like if this was true he would be signed by now.

Wasn't Ottawa asking Cowen to take like 1.5 in his first year on that 8 year offer?

I'm thinking they've been offering around that on a short term (1-2 years).

2 per and 2 years is more than fair. If Cowen rejects that then I've lost all respect for him

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
Karlsson had 149 points in 216 NHL games and a Norris trophy when he signed his extension.

True but they are a different type of player. Cowen will not win the Norris the way it is currently set up.

I think Cowen expects 4.5 - 5 mill per season on a longer term deal (not the 6ish that Karlsson gets)

WhiteLight*

True but they are a different type of player. Cowen will not win the Norris the way it is currently set up.

I think Cowen expects 4.5 - 5 mill per season on a longer term deal (not the 6ish that Karlsson gets)

that's crazy he's proven he's a depth defenseman who gets hurt. Nothing more

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
that's crazy he's proven he's a depth defenseman who gets hurt. Nothing more

He is more than a depth defenceman.. yes he gets injured alot.

That said, just because I said I think he expects that much does not mean that I think that he deserves that much.

I think if he gets under 2 years, he should get no more than 2.5-2.9 per .. 5+ years and he gets 4 per

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Cowen was hurt this year and Cowen disappeared (or was glaringly bad) in the playoffs twice. He had one good season as a 4/5 D. Kadri had one good season as a ppg centre.

ppg centre > 4/5 D

Kadri has far from proven that he is a point per game center, because to do that you have to actually score a point per game. He did come close in the shortened season I guess. Cowen is not a 4/5 D, he is slotted as #3 behind Karlsson and Methot.

But if you count absolute best case scenario for one player and worst case scenario for the other I suppose you are right.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Wasn't Ottawa asking Cowen to take like 1.5 in his first year on that 8 year offer?

I'm thinking they've been offering around that on a short term (1-2 years).

2 per and 2 years is more than fair. If Cowen rejects that then I've lost all respect for him

IMO Cowen is worth more than Wiercoich, so he should get more than $2M/year.

Cowen wasn't suppose to play at all last year, and he only played 7 games prior to the playoffs.

So using the playoffs as a point of evaluation of his talent is really off the mark by a long way.

Cowen had a very solid rookie year, started last year in Bingo and was by far the best D-man on the team (or for that matter he was the best player on the ice until his injury).

What really matters is the Sens believe he is a future top D in the league, and I would say Cowen believes the same thing.

They will work it out, but not if any year of whatever term the Sens are proposing is under $2.5M.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
yes he did, without a doubt. Kadri > Cowen

IMO you are really out in left field on this one.

Kadri is a second line center in Toronto behind Bozak, that tells you all you should need to know.

Cowen on the other hand played top four minutes on a defense that had three solid veterans and a Norris trophy winner. Not bad for a rookie D-man in the NHL.

Spinkis

Dec 26, 2011
I am certainly not a commie. :shakehead
Come on it's fun!
Commieparty.png

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa

Kadri is a second line center in Toronto behind Bozak, that tells you all you should need to know.

Cowen on the other hand played top four minutes on a defense that had three solid veterans and a Norris trophy winner. Not bad for a rookie D-man in the NHL.

kadri scored 44 points in a shortened season (that's more than #1 center bozak). to put that into context, if he failed to score another point and the season went on for 82 games, he would have finished inside the top 60 for center scoring based on our last full season. six more points in 34 games gets him into the top 40. nine more points in those games gets him into the top 30. while it's unknown if he can keep up that kind of scoring pace, those were impressive numbers he posted this year. actually looking at what he did as opposed to saying "he played less than bozak", it gets a lot harder to argue against kadri>cowen at this point in time.

cowen has played shared #4 minutes with phillips (with phillips actually getting more minutes for game, but only slightly so i decided to say they shared the role). he looked good there. sometimes he looked outstanding. it was encouraging, but he hasn't done anything that compares to the season kadri just had.

saying kadri is better than cowen at this point is totally reasonable. as for who will be better in the future: there are too many variables to predict, then you have to compare two different playing styles and positions. no one knows for sure.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Give him a one year deal at $2.5 Million. He gets a chance to prove that he's worth bigger money. Expect him to play at least 65 games if he wants to earn $4 Million+ contracts.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Up until know performance wise Kadri > Cowen for sure, but how about Hodgson? I guess Cowen might be seeking a deal like that.

4.25m for Hodgson? Why are young players getting paid so much? Chara signed a 4+m contract after being nominated for the Norris back in the day in a league where some got close to 10m.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Up until know performance wise Kadri > Cowen for sure, but how about Hodgson? I guess Cowen might be seeking a deal like that.

4.25m for Hodgson? Why are young players getting paid so much? Chara signed a 4+m contract after being nominated for the Norris back in the day in a league where some got close to 10m.

NHL GMs seem more and more like stock speculators to me. Sign high knowing that if things don't work out there will always be someone dumber than you who will take a trade. Worst case scenario, eat some salary and trade them to a cash strapped team like us.

There are too many outs and far lesser punishments for bad decisions now than in 2006. NHL is going to turn into another spending spree and parity is going to go out the window.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

It's a gamble for sure But it's like the Kadri deal except they wanted long term instead of a bridge. I think buffalo will have trouble keeping good players and he was on pace for 60 or so points at 23.

4.5 mill even if he only puts up 50 points, after this season is pretty decent. They're obviously expecting a break out and getting a discount.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
I am really getting sick of Cowen not being signed .. rumours of the multiple contract offers by the Sens show they are trying to negotiate.

Cowen is coming across bad here.

There should be a clause that says "Unless player is signed by X Date that player is deemed ineligible to play for that season." ... that might light a fire under the butts of both sides in situations like this.

WhiteLight*

He is more than a depth defenceman.. yes he gets injured alot.

That said, just because I said I think he expects that much does not mean that I think that he deserves that much.

I think if he gets under 2 years, he should get no more than 2.5-2.9 per .. 5+ years and he gets 4 per

he hasn't proven he's more than that imo

Kadri has far from proven that he is a point per game center, because to do that you have to actually score a point per game. He did come close in the shortened season I guess. Cowen is not a 4/5 D, he is slotted as #3 behind Karlsson and Methot.

But if you count absolute best case scenario for one player and worst case scenario for the other I suppose you are right.

That MAY be his role this season. Maybe. But he has never played as a #3 before nor played at a #3 level for an extended period of time.

Cowen was a 4/5 D in his rookie season. Spent some time on the 2nd pair but actually ended up with less ice time than Phillips and played 3rd pair in the playoffs in 2012.

IMO Cowen is worth more than Wiercoich, so he should get more than $2M/year.

Cowen wasn't suppose to play at all last year, and he only played 7 games prior to the playoffs.

So using the playoffs as a point of evaluation of his talent is really off the mark by a long way.

Cowen had a very solid rookie year, started last year in Bingo and was by far the best D-man on the team (or for that matter he was the best player on the ice until his injury).

What really matters is the Sens believe he is a future top D in the league, and I would say Cowen believes the same thing.

They will work it out, but not if any year of whatever term the Sens are proposing is under $2.5M.

Wiercioch was amazing this year. Amazing production and rarely ever got scored on.

Sure Cowen has logged more ice in the past and plays the PK. I'd say they are worth about the same at this point.

I also believe Cowen is a future top pair D, but that doesn't mean he's played like one so far nor does that he should get big bucks.

Kadri - Lupul vs Bozak - Kessel. First those are the pairs for chemistry purposes and second Kadri and Lupul are arguably the 1st line.

Do you really think Bozak > Kadri? Any sane hockey fan would tell you otherwise.

Cowen was never really top 4. He spent some time on the 2nd pair, that's it. He was 5th in ice time. He's 4-5 D.

near ppg > 4/5 D, no matter which way you try to spin it

The Fuhr*

I am really getting sick of Cowen not being signed .. rumours of the multiple contract offers by the Sens show they are trying to negotiate.

Cowen is coming across bad here.

There should be a clause that says "Unless player is signed by X Date that player is deemed ineligible to play for that season." ... that might light a fire under the butts of both sides in situations like this.

There is a clause like that... I believe it's December 1st

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hmmm, this is getting quite strange. You'd think Cowen should've signed yesterday. If the numbers for both proposals the Sens put forward are correct, they weren't exactly bad offers. Don't see how both sides could still be apart at this rate.

The Fuhr*

Cowens full season here two years ago.
17Pts 218Hits
3:08PK (2nd to Kuba)

He obviously sees himself as the teams top PK defenseman... He's slotted on the 2nd pair this year... He's a physical monster... And has untapped offensive potential

What do you think his market value is with a 75 million dollar cap? And he's
- Teams top PK defenseman
- Plays over 20 minutes a game
- 25-30Pts
- 220+ hits

Two years from now... Those numbers he's demanding 5.5 per

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad