Waived: Jan Mursak clears waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

THW

Mar 6, 2008
Why? Nobody wanted him for free. He wouldn't fare better. They have their own guys like Jan they would rather develop.

So much fuss about a fringe NHL player... Now confirmed by every team in the league.

Nobody wanted him because he just came off an injury and played just a few minutes, nobody could possibly evaluate him honestly based on that game. He probably is not on anyones radar so they just let him clear. He is a good player, should be a solid 3rd/4th line energy guy with good hands and lots of heart. He played really good overseas and was good enough in GR to get a shot on the big team. The way Babcock and Holland have handled the prospects at their disposal is the main issue. How do you let players acclimate and step up, while they sit for vets past their prime and then because they get injured, which is no fault of theirs, blame them for being injury prone? Its stupid to let them rot away and then let them go because they have no chemistry and dont play like they did in the AHL where they got to know team-mates habits and likes/dislikes when the reason they are not playing is out of their hands. Every other team in the league folds in prospects to see who they click with, what are their strengths and weaknesses, but Detroit wants their guys to step in and immediately make huge impacts and be superstars, its ridiculous, except for certain instances of crazy talent, all prospects need time to acclimate.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Why? Nobody wanted him for free. He wouldn't fare better. They have their own guys like Jan they would rather develop.

So much fuss about a fringe NHL player... Now confirmed by every team in the league.

Well, there are a lot of guys doing very well in the NHL who bounced around for years before catching on somewhere.

I don't think Mursak will be one of them because his main problem isn't fit or system, it's health. But you never know.

That being said, the notion that he would somehow build trade value is pretty ridiculous. If anyone were even remotely interested they would have claimed him for free. They will never get anything in return for him. They might include him as a throw-in in a deadline deal but that's it.

RedWingsNow*

EVERY hockey player on the entire AHL system has "awesome stats" from their leagues before.

Superstars in <17 leagues turn into grinders at the NHL level.

I do not suggest Nyquist was a useless tit that we molded from nothing.

All these players are talented.

But to suggest they are all superstars that we are ruining is dumb.
Just like suggesting we turned these "useless" players into great players through "teaching".

Both extremes are invalid.
Stop lying. Nobody said Mursak is going to be a star.
The extreme positions you criticize do not exist

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Well, there are a lot of guys doing very well in the NHL who bounced around for years before catching on somewhere.

I don't think Mursak will be one of them because his main problem isn't fit or system, it's health. But you never know.

That being said, the notion that he would somehow build trade value is pretty ridiculous. If anyone were even remotely interested they would have claimed him for free. They will never get anything in return for him. They might include him as a throw-in in a deadline deal but that's it.

Agreed, but how much do we scold those teams from letting said guys go? Do we think Phoenix was misguided for letting Cleary go, for example?

I hope Jan does well, but some reactions here make it seem like Holland just waived a Smith level guy, not an injury prone grinder.

Actually one of the worst teams for letting NHL players slip away for little to nothing has been LA.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
You are probably correct. He did come over to NA right after he was drafted so he may continue to play here. He has to weigh whether he wants to give the NHL another shot.

I think he would do well in the KHL and might earn more money than the AHL. You have to be pretty good to make decent money in the AHL.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
wasn't mursak called the next hossa? or was it another of our prospects? can't even remember.

Yes, he is the next Marcel Hossa. I like Jan but he's had terrible luck. He'll improve a good GR team and hopefully he can get another chance in training camp next season. Tatar obviously belongs in the NHL. Does that count as developing a prospect? ;)

RedWingsNow*

That's quite presumptuous. There's no reason to think Mursak would be playing any more on any other team than he was on Detroit. That's confirmed by the fact that no other team would take him for free at this point.

Oh please.
Not getting claimed doesn't "confirm" anything except he wasn't claimed.

And I've got plenty of reason to believe Mursak would get lots more time than he got on Detroit.

Mike Babcock is a terrible man-manager when it comes to youth. And Holland is even worse.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
That's quite presumptuous. There's no reason to think Mursak would be playing any more on any other team than he was on Detroit. That's confirmed by the fact that no other team would take him for free at this point.

Matt at RWC nailed it on Mursak's player profile.

The concern is if he can’t find his offensive game in the NHL, he’ll be little more than a fourth-line energizer.

To date:

46 games played
4 points

So that leaves...energizing? Tough to do when you are injured all the time. Like I said, he should kill it in GR and then he can fight for a roster spot in training camp next year. I like him, I like his speed and his skill he just needs to stay healthy. The Wings have put him in the lineup when he can actually play, even with his non-existent offensive contributions.

RedWingsNow*

Wings are on the path to oblivion, because they keep 35-year-old bums instead of 24 year old kids who can bring speed and energy -- and get better.

Keep your head in the sand, HFers.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Wings are on the path to oblivion, because they keep 35-year-old bums instead of 24 year old kids who can bring speed and energy -- and get better.

Yeah, no getting choked up because we waived the Slovenian Mark Mowers means I think everything is OK. Age only matters if there's results to back it up, the Wings have a plethora of bottom 6 players, that's not an issue.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

What are you talking about? Look at all the young players they've used this year. Brunner, Tatar, Smith, Andersson, Lashoff, Nyquist, Emmerton. I don't understand complaining about the Wings not letting young guys play this year. If your complaint is a player that every single team in the NHL doesn't want isn't getting ice time I don't know what to tell you. :help:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Not every prospect is going to make it to the NHL, when giving a chance Mursak hasn't produced. He's not good enough to play on the PP, isn't going to bump anyone off of the PK so if we can "Sneak" him down to GR then go for it. If he's claimed (which we know he wasn't) it's not a big loss as we have guys coming up that can replace him. If he clears it means we can call him up if need be, but for now he can work on his game & become stronger.

As for our path to oblivion we'll have to wait and see as one of the main players that benefited from the "ripening" strategy is Tatar I'm willing to give the Wings FO some leeway.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Don't waste your time. This is a guy who rips on Twitter but then uses hashtags on HF Boards, where they are completely useless. :laugh:

I did enjoy his list of players that went "straight to the NHL" . Just ignore 2-8 years in Europe.

RedWingsNow*

Yeah, no getting choked up because we waived the Slovenian Mark Mowers means I think everything is OK. Age only matters if there's results to back it up, the Wings have a plethora of bottom 6 players, that's not an issue.

History will tell who was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad