Waived: Jan Mursak clears waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Like has been said before, passing over the prospects that are touted to be great, play great in the AHL and are said to be capable of sliding right in to the team and making significant contributions for washed up has-beens and veteran cast offs.

Nonsense. These prospects are not top 10 draft picks. The fact we have so many that reach the level you speak of shows how good the wings are at development. On top of that look at the Wings and the number of drafted players on the team.

THW

Mar 6, 2008
Nonsense. These prospects are not top 10 draft picks. The fact we have so many that reach the level you speak of shows how good the wings are at development. On top of that look at the Wings and the number of drafted players on the team.

What level? The level of "Hey, we couldnt get player X, player Y or player Z and no significant FAs would come here and now half of our old, poorly producing players are hurt...so we need you to play..."? Thats not player development, thats stopgap, thats hole plugging. The fact that they get lucky once in a while is an anomaly. Emmerton's play this year is a good example, he sucked last year, everyone hated him and were calling for him to be cut/waived. This year Emmerton is gelling and producing and is much more comfortable with the team.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Oh please. You are hysterical. It is really simple Mursak just is not good enough.

Babcock found room for the following:
Helm- Babcock gave him a shot and he kicked the door down. Never left.
Abdelkader
Ericsson
Filpulla (Babs has always supported him)
Emmerton (who is alot better than we all thought last year)

This year alone he appears to have added the following to NHL players:
Lashoff
Tartar
Andersson
Smith

It is looking like all three will be in the NHL long term because of Babs. At the beginning of the year Lashoff and Andersson looked like long shots.

It's hysterical. A couple of the pet prospects aren't given everything certain posters want and the Wings are PROSPECT KILLAHZ. Let's look at the lineup from yesterday's game.

Forwards:
Z - drafted
Fil- drafted
Pavs - drafted
Brunner - free agent signing
Abdelkader - drafted
Emmerton - drafted
Andersson - drafted
Tatar - drafted

D-men
Ericsson - drafted
Kronwall - drafted
Lashoff - free agent signing
Kindl - drafted

Goalie
Howard - drafted

So out of 19 players, 13 were either drafted or signed their first NHL contract with Detroit. That's 68% of your lineup, with the following players out of the lineup due to injury:

Helm
Franzen
Smith
Quincey

If you put all 4 of those injured guys in the lineup and replaced them with guys we acquired as free agents that would mean 17 of 19 are NHL players the Red Wings found. 89% of your lineup.

The Red Wings are gawd awful at developing NHL players.

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
Seriously when was the last time we waived a player, then traded assets to get him back only for him to go on and be nearly as useless as when we waived him?

THW

Mar 6, 2008
It's hysterical. A couple of the pet prospects aren't given everything certain posters want and the Wings are PROSPECT KILLAHZ. Let's look at the lineup from yesterday's game.

Forwards:
Z - drafted
Fil- drafted
Pavs - drafted
Brunner - free agent signing
Abdelkader - drafted
Emmerton - drafted
Andersson - drafted
Tatar - drafted

D-men
Ericsson - drafted
Kronwall - drafted
Lashoff - free agent signing
Kindl - drafted

Goalie
Howard - drafted

So out of 19 players, 13 were either drafted or signed their first NHL contract with Detroit. That's 68% of your lineup, with the following players out of the lineup due to injury:

Helm
Franzen
Smith
Quincey

If you put all 4 of those injured guys in the lineup and replaced them with guys we acquired as free agents that would mean 17 of 19 are NHL players the Red Wings found. 89% of your lineup.

The Red Wings are gawd awful at developing NHL players.

Zetts, Datsyuk, Fil, Brunner, Cleary, Eaves, Huskins, Miller, Tootoo, White and Kronwall were not brought up through our system so you can scratch those on the roster. Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Franzen and Colaiacovo on the IR were not brought through or system. Of the guys brought up, how long did they sit in the AHL while we traded for and signed vets past their primes? Signing and drafting players that are playing in the European equivalent of the NHL is not developing a player, they were plugged right in and allowed to acclimate to smaller rinks and a faster game. Your numbers are not really indicative of player development through their system, thats more of a signing stat. Its more that they let players come up through other teams and Europe before they promote from within. If they arent going to sign a big ticket player, bring up some prospects that have earned a shot and give them a real chance.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Seriously when was the last time we waived a player, then traded assets to get him back only for him to go on and be nearly as useless as when we waived him?

So because of the Quincey situation, waiving a guy who put up 4 points in 46 games and can't stay healthy is a bad decision?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
There was a bit of a standard interview with Mursak on the Griffins broadcast. I sensed some entitlement that might not impress the management(not that it matters much). Said some things like he thought he was too good for a 4th line, complained a little about his ice time, not the right opportunity, wrong system etc.

I guess you can give him some of it, but he's not playing with Detroit again.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
There was a bit of a standard interview with Mursak on the Griffins broadcast. I sensed some entitlement that might not impress the management(not that it matters much). Said some things like he thought he was too good for a 4th line, complained a little about his ice time, not the right opportunity, wrong system etc.

He was really hoping to get claimed. He's probably still disappointed.

THW

Mar 6, 2008
He was really hoping to get claimed. He's probably still disappointed.

When his Fiancee's Mom came over this summer, she said he was hoping to get more ice time or traded/waived. He was pretty sick of the situation.

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
When his Fiancee's Mom came over this summer, she said he was hoping to get more ice time or traded/waived. He was pretty sick of the situation.

Sounds like he ran his mouth and the Brass told him to get the f#@$ out. Your nothing to us boy. Your not even worth a seventh.

Had less leverage than he probably thought.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Sounds like he ran his mouth and the Brass told him to get the f#@$ out. Your nothing to us boy. Your not even worth a seventh.

Had less leverage than he probably thought.

Have to think that he's going to go to the KHL when his current contract is up. He doesn't offer the Wings anything particular outside of his speed and even then he was passed over by Tatar, Andersson, Emmerton & Nyquist the past 2 years.

Who knows what could have been if he didn't hurt himself last year but if what Joe said is true then his days of wearing the winged wheel are over.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I was wondering why Babs said nice things about him before his last Wings game.

Now I know it was because he was hoping to attract some waiver wire scavengers to be rid of the kid.

You have to figure if Babs is saying good things about you, you'd better be careful. That's a surefire sign he's just looking for a spot to stick the knife.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I was wondering why Babs said nice things about him before his last Wings game.

Now I know it was because he was hoping to attract some waiver wire scavengers to be rid of the kid.

You have to figure if Babs is saying good things about you, you'd better be careful. That's a surefire sign he's just looking for a spot to stick the knife.

Babs that *******, trying to get Mursak a NHL job just so the Wings can save 30k. I'd hate to have somone trying to screw me with a NHL job where I make 10X the money.:laugh:

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

:shakehead

Well that sucks. If true. I had some decently high hopes for him.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
i don't blame him. he could get better opportunities elsewhere, and athletes have a very small window for their careers and have bad injuries.

CloneHakanPlease*

Impossible. Many people on this site have assured me that all Wings prospects are thrilled with the chance to play for the Winged wheel and only get more excited when Holland signs people like Sammuelson so they can "ripen" more. No prospect is upset or frustrated with the way they are being handled. Posters on this site wouldnt lie to me.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
i don't blame him. he could get better opportunities elsewhere, and athletes have a very small window for their careers and have bad injuries.

Injuries are a fair part of the reason he hasn't gotten a longer look the past couple of years. can't really blame him for it, but that fractured ankle last year and the messed up collarbone this year didn't do him any favors.

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
Injuries are a fair part of the reason he hasn't gotten a longer look the past couple of years. can't really blame him for it, but that fractured ankle last year and the messed up collarbone this year didn't do him any favors.

yeah it sucks for him, I honestly think last season he would have got a long look and seemed to be in the teams plans, but that ankle injury just came at the worst time possible, and then he gets injured right away to start this season. I really thought he would have had a chance on the team but I understand why he had to be waived, hopefully he works hard and finds his way onto another NHL team's roster in the future

Kiddington

Nov 3, 2008
Reno, NV

Not that he really stood much of a chance here anyway (seriously, how many bottom six tweeners can you shoehorn onto one roster as it is), but that should all but seal his fate.

So much for that "fresh start" (like the guy hasn't gotten enough of those already). He's done.

RedWingsNow*

Talk to anyone who knows Mursak.

Kid is a class act. He's a smart kid who kept awesome grades in junior. He's polite and stays out of trouble while the rest of his junior team was in the police blotter.

So when some dude on the Internet hears and interview and says Jan sounded "entitled," I roll my eyes.

Jan is done here. He never got a shot here.
And that's why I wish he got claimed.

The Wings should let him go to Europe and get out of the system

RedWingsNow*

Absolutely.
But in general, the Wings are a year too late on giving their prospects a shot.
In 2009-10, Mursak scored 24 goals in the AHL.
He should have gotten his chance in 10-11.

24 goals in the AHL is nothing to sneeze at.

But we needed Modano, of course.

I really don't care so much about losing Mursak, who I think will a depth player one day.

What I am more concerned about is the general Wings prospect development.

I highly doubt Mursak is the only Wings prospect sick of watching other teams give their youngsters real opportunities.

And I wonder if a guy like Brendan Smith is already wondering about where he'll go when UFA hits.

It's one things when your waiting behind hall of famers who are battling for the Cup.

it's another thing when you're blocked by Patrick Eaves, Danny Cleary, Drew Miller, Todd Bertuzzi and Mikael Samuelsson on a first round loser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad