Player Discussion Jan Kovar

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Jan Kovar is currently with our AHL team on a tryout as he attempts to find an NHL contract. Things are going pretty well statistically as he has 4 goals and 9 points in his 8 games

for those unfarmilar with his past... Kovar is 28 years old and spent the last 5 years in the KHL. he played 285 games in those 5 seasons with 97 goals and 286 points

the scouting report is that he isn't overly fast skater and doesn't have a high level nhl shot for goal scoring... but with his KHL success and his AHL success I think this guy is about to get his shot with us. We were short a 3rd line center even before Bergeron got banged up tonight.

theres nothing to be lost throwing a million dollar contract at Kovar and add some depth that plugs a hole even if we ultimately might send him back to ahl or khl or to another nhl team if he cant do the job im predicting

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
A crafty and gritty puck possession player with good hands sounds perfect for Krejci's right side, but they've been dying for a center even with Bergeron healthy. Sign me up, nothing to lose. His game gets critiqued more harshly than the two guys in those spots now.

Reactions: HustleB

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I haven't seen him play but I like what I read. There has to be a reason Isles liked him even if it didn't work out, sign me up as well.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Next guy up for 3C audition, IMO. Unless, of course, Karlsson does something to impress in the next few days. Will need to be offered a contract, though. Since he failed to report to Bridgeport he should have forfeited his salary.

Last edited:

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Give him 5 or so games and go from there. I am not convinced he can be full time NHLer, but he is doing well in the AHL. Worth the shot.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
5 or so games at the NHL level or still at the AHL level?
At the NHL level. Kovar was on average a PPG player in the KHL, league comparable to the AHL, I would expect him to hover around the PPG in the AHL as well. After all his short stint there confirmed it.
Sign him, give him some games (preferably some PP time as well) and then evaluate his play. Kovar is a finished product at this point, more AHL games won't change him much. He either is or isn't NHLer.

Reactions: Blowfish

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
I think Cave deserves next call up...

I just watched Cave play. During the warmups he jumped in the air crashing into the glass while the players were along the boards for warmups. He then proceeded to push them in a joking way. He has a ton of spark plug in him. He seems to keep the team loose and I was impressed with his play during the game. He also got into a fight and ALWAYS stands up for teammates. I think he will be a fan favorite if he can make it into the NHL.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I just watched Cave play. During the warmups he jumped in the air crashing into the glass while the players were along the boards for warmups. He then proceeded to push them in a joking way. He seems to keep the team loose and I was impressed with his play during the game. He also got into a fight and ALWAYS stands up for teammates. I think he will be a fan favorite if he can make it into the NHL.

Nice...How is his speed? skillset?

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
A crafty and gritty puck possession player with good hands sounds perfect for Krejci's right side, but they've been dying for a center even with Bergeron healthy. Sign me up, nothing to lose. His game gets critiqued more harshly than the two guys in those spots now.
I like the idea of trying him on Krejci's wing, I believe he plays both. Then move Nordstrom back to 3C so Bjork and Heinen can continue to play at speed if JFK does not stick around right now. Not sure if I can see both Kovar and JFK in the lineup unless there is an injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad