Line Combos: Jamie Benn, Ales Hemsky to undergo offseason hip surgery; Sidelined for 4-5 months

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Ya, interesting player. Nephew of former NHL Goalie Bill Ranford. Consistently puts up solid numbers & was a standout in Jr with Kamloops of the WHL (also owned by Tom Gaglardi as your likely aware). Kid went 209th out of 210 picked in his Draft year primarily because of his size. Only 5'10". And while thats not "tiny" it is problematical unless the guys a real standout like say Kane or whomever. Size unfortunately matters these days, and if your not pushing 6'2" or more, swimming upstream. He's feisty though, actually lost it & cross-checked a Ref while in Junior.... Doesnt take any crap. Great hands, good vision. Could do some damage.

I always wondered why the Flyers of all teams took him originally, doesn't seem like their MO to draft many undersized players. Guess I have my answer now :laugh: Good luck to him, I always like seeing underdogs get a shot.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I always wondered why the Flyers of all teams took him originally, doesn't seem like their MO to draft many undersized players. Guess I have my answer now :laugh: Good luck to him, I always like seeing underdogs get a shot.

Sounds like if he would have grown a little more in junior he would be the perfect Flyer haha. I'm very excited to see him play with Dallas, was super impressed with him during the Texas Stars Calder Cup run.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'm very excited to see him play with Dallas, was super impressed with him during the Texas Stars Calder Cup run.

Ya, nutz really to think that a guy who's 5'10" and like 180 would be considered small and therefore a bit handicapped. Heck, wasnt really that long ago that was "average" sized. While you cant have a lot of smaller players, a few of them are a real treat for the fans as in order to stick they have to be pretty crafty and thats always entertaining to watch, be it a Marty St.Louis or whoever. Ranfords height & weight, shouldnt really be a problem at all. Heck, Theo Fleury was all of about 5'6" or 7", Holy Terror out there.... one time, lining up against Bob Probert in a face-off, leans into him and says "hey *** hole? Wanna go? You n' me. Right now".... Probert just laughed & said "ya, you probably would too you crazy little ****"..... So sure, the smaller guys, regular little pistons. Get your monies worth with them. Lotta fun to watch. Highly creative.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010

Hemsky expected to play tomorrow night, Ranford sticking around for the road trip according to Mark.

LT

Jul 23, 2010
Ranford was sent down right before the game started.

At least he got one game in. Would've liked to see more of him but it's not a huge deal.

LT

Jul 23, 2010
... :( Man. Thats a bummer for the poor guy. Hoping to play but instead handed a one way ticket back to the minors. Rough business at times.

Yea, I suppose so. He looked alright in his one game, but Hemsky's simply more of an impact player. He should get another shot next season at a 4th line spot.

LT

Jul 23, 2010

Sent down and recalled again in a matter of hours :laugh:

Hemsky questionable for tonight, if he's out, Ranford's in.

LT

Jul 23, 2010

Eaves must've not had a concussion. It looked very bad when he got hit, but if he plays on Friday, he'd have only missed a couple weeks.

LT

Jul 23, 2010

I have no idea what this injury to Lehtonen might be, if it's an injury at all.

LT

Jul 23, 2010

Very good news to hear. The sooner he gets back, the better.

LT

Jul 23, 2010
With Schlemko being sent down, Nemeth likely returns soon.

Eaves could play soon as well.

Nichushkin skating, broke the glass at Frisco today, likely to return in mid March.

Seguin, Moen, and Nuke all skated together today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad