Line Combos: Jamie Benn, Ales Hemsky to undergo offseason hip surgery; Sidelined for 4-5 months

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

I would love to see him back on top line. Is it where you guys anticipate he will play?

These would be good lines I think:

Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin
Hemsky - Spezza - Ritchie
Roussel - Eakin - Garbutt
Fiddler - Horcoff - Eaves/Sceviour

I think those would be 4 pretty good lines.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Heavy offensive zone starts, I'd guess on Seguin's wing when they are facing a favorable matchup. Probably around 11 minutes in the first couple of games and increasing a bit more if he feels good. The lineup just looks so much better with his name in it.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I think his conditioning stint is now. He might play a game or two in the AHL to get back to game speed, but certainly not two weeks.

Although there's no need to rush him right now, so it's not entirely out of the question.

Hmmm I don't think a conditioning has started yet has it? I think he just started practicing with the team real recently. So once he gets the green light to play games, then Dallas can send him to AHL for up to 2 weeks. I think that would be best decision for him to play atleast a week in AHL so he can get back up to game speed

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Hmmm I don't think a conditioning has started yet has it? I think he just started practicing with the team real recently. So once he gets the green light to play games, then Dallas can send him to AHL for up to 2 weeks. I think that would be best decision for him to play atleast a week in AHL so he can get back up to game speed

I didn't mean an official conditioning stint.

By practicing with the team, he's slowly getting back into game shape. Won't need anywhere close to two weeks in the AHL.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Hope Klinger is OK after that hit. They say bad things happen in threes, so maybe our run of star players taken out by cheap hits has ended.

Agreed with Razor, cheap player, skates 80 feet with express purpose of hitting a guy (which is charging) hits him late (which is interference) and leaves his feet to do it (which has gotten Ott and others suspended a few games. Still, probably a tweener and I haven't seen any indications the NHL is looking at it, nor would I expect much in the way of suspensions, but he might get some kind of private warning.

With playoffs out of the picture all but technically, I would say they rest Klinger, Daley and even Seguin to the greatest extent possible, saving them for next year, and maybe upping our draft position.

Last nights win moved us back from 8 to 9. Every little bit helps.

BigMacOnIce

Oct 13, 2014
With playoffs out of the picture all but technically, I would say they rest Klinger, Daley and even Seguin to the greatest extent possible, saving them for next year, and maybe upping our draft position.

Last nights win moved us back from 8 to 9. Every little bit helps.

I'd love for them to rest everyone that's been injured recently with next year in mind, but Seguin's interview after the Tampa Bay game made it clear that he'd rather play at ~70% than sit on the couch. It's very admirable and showcases his leadership and maturity, but we don't need Seguin to carry us out of a good draft spot.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Mark tweeted that Klingberg's probable to play tomorrow. That's great to hear.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
My skills as an investigator are well established (I dressed up as a cop for Halloween in the 5th grade, so you know I'm legit). In concert with Glenn Beck, I attempted to expose the web of lies and misinformation surrounding the enigmatic injury timeline of one Valeri Nichus...screw it I can't spell that. But alas, that mystery remains unsolved as to the best of my knowledge, there has been no updates on him since the 9th.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
A little less than a week ago we heard he was 7-10 days away. So I'm assuming he'll be back soon.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

This seems like very inefficient player management

Texas Stars have a game today so it would have made more sense to play Nichushkin there today and then Friday and Saturday.

Instead he will have to play Friday, Saturday and next Wednesday. So he wont be able to get back to Dallas until late next week. Weird. What was the point of him just skating around for so long in practices?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
This seems like very inefficient player management

Texas Stars have a game today so it would have made more sense to play Nichushkin there today and then Friday and Saturday.

Instead he will have to play Friday, Saturday and next Wednesday. So he wont be able to get back to Dallas until late next week. Weird. What was the point of him just skating around for so long in practices?

He may not have been or even still be ready to play. He was complaining about some pain and soreness which is why his return was delayed originally. That could still be going on but to a lesser extent.

Might not be in shape mentally and/or physically yet, either.

There's absolutely no need to rush his return. I don't mind what they're doing at all.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
No need to rush #43. Take it slow, our season is over and there's nothing to gain from him playing in the NHL over the AHL.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
For that matter, no need to rush Benn or Daley back. Our PO chances are effectively shot with one more loss anyway, and we aren't going to win out.

I'd also put Seguin back on IR. No point playing him now when he isn't a 100%. Can't risk a potential long-term injury.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I'd also put Seguin back on IR. No point playing him now when he isn't a 100%. Can't risk a potential long-term injury.

Doctors cleared him. Player wants to play. I don't see the issue here.

For that matter, no need to rush Benn or Daley back. Our PO chances are effectively shot with one more loss anyway, and we aren't going to win out.

I know it's an outside shot but Benn has a chance to take a run at the scoring championship. And like I said with Seguin, if he's cleared by doctors and wants to play who the hell are we to question that. I like that these guys want to stay in there battling despite record or chances at postseason.

Might not be in shape mentally and/or physically yet, either.

How could he not be "mentally ready" yet? If he's healthy get his ass in some hockey games. Otherwise this year will turn into the opposite of last year. He went from a ton of games to basically zero games this year. I fully expect him to hit a major wall some time next season. He's young, he needs to play if he's physically fit.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
No one knows what's going on in any player's head. Maybe he was ready the play and the team said no, maybe he didn't think he was just yet and wanted to wait.

Who knows. It's pointless speculation (which is all the post you quoted was).

I almost think I'd rather watch Nichushkin than Dallas tonight.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Doctors cleared him. Player wants to play. I don't see the issue here.

He's still not 100% and that's the issue. Of course player wants to play and post statistics, but player may not necessarily know what's best for him long-term.

I know it's an outside shot but Benn has a chance to take a run at the scoring championship. And like I said with Seguin, if he's cleared by doctors and wants to play who the hell are we to question that. I like that these guys want to stay in there battling despite record or chances at postseason.

Hard to believe that someone with 71 pts is but 4 points shy of the Art Ross leader at this juncture of the season. That said, when was the last time an Art Ross winner belonged to a non-playoff team? Would it be Iginla with the Flames in 2002?

How could he not be "mentally ready" yet? If he's healthy get his ass in some hockey games. Otherwise this year will turn into the opposite of last year. He went from a ton of games to basically zero games this year. I fully expect him to hit a major wall some time next season. He's young, he needs to play if he's physically fit.

I don't particularly see a major issue with that aspect. I do agree with him playing some games, but I don't see 7 games benefiting him all that much. I'd rather he continue playing in the AHL, if he's currently doing that and if that's an option the Stars can exercise. Gives him a chance to play some playoff hockey and get some competitive juices flowing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad