OT: James Mirtle and Kyle Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Do you have a source to back this up?
This is what the coach says:
"It was something we've been talking quite a bit about," Babcock said after the game Tuesday, "just because we think Mo should play on the left. We think he provides way more offence, way more shots and he's a better player over there. It's important to have your best guys play in their best spots."

Reactions: Americanadian

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Do you have a source to back this up?

they were a pairing for 6gms after the trade:

Team: 6gms, 4-1-1, +4gdiff

Muzzin - Rielly: 75:00, 2gls, 8pts, 54.0cf%, 52.5scf%
Gardiner-Zaitsev: 70:15, 1gls, 4pts, 49.1cf%, 54.6scf%
Dermott-Hainsey: 66:40, 1gls, 2pts, 58.7cf%, 61.7scf%

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Lol the things people stew over.... No wonder everybody is angry online.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Babcock didn't want to play Muzzin with Rielly, but he tried it anyway, and it worked great.

Then Babcock put Muzzin on the bottom pairing and played him 16-18 minutes for a few weeks, because he's left handed. This is essentially when the Leafs started to slide downhill.

I still like Babcock, but I can't get passed this one. It's so obnoxious. And if he gets fired anytime soon, I'm sure things like that will be why. His vision works when your team is full of superstars like his early Wings or Canadian teams, but he may be too dependent on his vision instead of maximizing what he's got to work with.

Last edited:
Reactions: biotk and meng666

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
My problem isn't that he is a stats nerd. What I take issue of is that he's the best friend with the GM of Leafs and he's using his platform to control public opinion for his pal. He was behind whole Babcock/Dubas saga and he's directing blame towards all others (Lou, Babcock) and he's leaving his BFF alone.

And other talking heads like Steve Dangle will spread his bs to more casual fans who will believe everything what he's telling them.

I have freedom of choice in my life and world.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Babcock didn't want to play Muzzin with Rielly, but he tried it anyway, and it worked great.

Then Babcock put Muzzin on the bottom pairing and played him 16-18 minutes for a few weeks, because he's left handed. This is essentially when the Leafs started to slide downhill.

funny cuz its true.

member 262271

4 days until the playoffs, what can I complain about now!? OH-here we go.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
it's just so funny that we get ONE rational media person disagreeing with the herd and THEY'RE the one that's called out.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I dont about you guys, but I cant wait to see those shifts where Hainsey gets shit on by the Bergeron line while Muzzin/Gardiner/Dermott watch from the bench.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
This is honestly ridiculous. Is Mirtle tying you to a chair and subjecting you to his opinions by force? If you don't like his views or opinions then simply agree to disagree or ignore them.

AlmightyPO

Dec 13, 2009
London
Read through this thread and don't understand what it's about. I read the Athletic/listen to the podcast etc. and have never felt Mirtle was pimping up Dubas... is there a specific example people are pointing to?

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
How overpaid are our stars? Like, quantify it for us on an annual basis.

Our overpaid stars would be Tavares (not severely overpaid because he's a UFA), Matthews and Nylander. They are all paid to put up points (none of them play the PK, all of them play the PP, all of them are forwards). We have the 2nd and 3rd highest paid players in the league (next season) and they finished 20th and 21st in PPG. Nylander received more than Pastrnak, Gaudreau, Forsberg, Monahan, Barkov, Huberdeau and put up half a point per game.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Read through this thread and don't understand what it's about. I read the Athletic/listen to the podcast etc. and have never felt Mirtle was pimping up Dubas... is there a specific example people are pointing to?

Some people seem to have an issue with anything positive being written about the team it seems

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Our overpaid stars would be Tavares (not severely overpaid because he's a UFA), Matthews and Nylander. They are all paid to put up points (none of them play the PK, all of them play the PP, all of them are forwards). We have the 2nd and 3rd highest paid players in the league (next season) and they finished 20th and 21st in PPG. Nylander received more than Pastrnak, Gaudreau, Forsberg, Monahan, Barkov, Huberdeau and put up half a point per game.

I asked you to quantify how much you feel we're overpaying them. What's the collective amount?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yeah I don't know. I remember that he put out an article before the draft that felt very pro-Dubas, anti-Hunter. It was right after the GM decision had been made. That's the only time I've felt that Mirtle has been anything but professional. If you listen to him or read his articles, he'd give you the impression that we are a top team with quite a bit of issues. That's pretty much exactly what we are.

Reactions: AlmightyPO
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad