OT: James Mirtle and Kyle Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Is this getting too far? A influential media person is covering Dubas's ass day after day. In my mind this is bush league, because a prominent guy in media should not behave like this. This is simply pathetic and makes the whole organization look bad. If you're best friends with the guy fine, but don't write about him. He should let others do that.

Reactions: neversaydie

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Who cares? You don't have to read positive or negative articles of your choosing. Why does it bother you so much that a journalist supports a hockey executive and his decisions more than another? I have no doubt in my mind if Dubas makes bad decisions, Mirtle won't have a problem pointing that out.

There are journalists like that all across hockey on many different platforms.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Who cares? You don't have to read positive or negative articles of your choosing. Why does it bother you so much that a journalist supports a hockey executive and his decisions more than another? I have no doubt in my mind if Dubas makes bad decisions, Mirtle won't have a problem pointing that out.

There are journalists like that all across hockey on many different platforms.

He's not acting like a journalist. He's Dubas's spokesperson without spokesperson tag.

Reactions: neversaydie

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's not acting like a journalist. He's Dubas's spokesperson without spokesperson tag.

I've read many of his articles and he's been critical of other things from the organisation, like the Matthews contract and a few other decisions.

Journalists have friendly relationships with executives all the time. Just look at other teams beat writers and you'll see them being overly positive about the team they cover all the time. Rishaug for the Oilers is a big one from the top of my head.

Just ignore Mirtle articles and you don't have to worry about it.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I've read many of his articles and he's been critical of other things from the organisation, like the Matthews contract and a few other decisions.

Journalists have friendly relationships with executives all the time. Just look at other teams beat writers and you'll see them being overly positive about the team they cover all the time. Rishaug for the Oilers is a big one from the top of my head.

Just ignore Mirtle articles and you don't have to worry about it.

Mirtle was one of, it not the most critical main stream media members from 2009-2016.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Is this getting too far? A influential media person is covering Dubas's ass day after day. In my mind this is bush league, because a prominent guy in media should not behave like this. This is simply pathetic and makes the whole organization look bad. If you're best friends with the guy fine, but don't write about him. He should let others do that.

go outside. it's saturday

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This stuff is silly: Mirtle and Dubas have similar ways of viewing the game - both like the use of stats, of speed and skill. It’s not terribly surprising that Mirtle likes some of Dubas’ decisions....

Mirtle used to slam Burke and Nonis because they made moves that ran counter to how he views the game

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I went to see what you were talking about. Yes, that was some major apologizing for an obviously poorly timed move by the GM (the move should have happened weeks/months earlier).

I don't live under the delusion that media types don't carry an agenda as baggage with everything they write. This is something everyone should understand long before they're free from daily indoctrination camp. In this case it's less harmful because there is sure to be some balance of criticism from other media members.

Reactions: Mork

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Over the years Mirtle has been one of the most negative reporters in terms of the Leafs.

He calls it like it is. It's refreshing and should be what we want. When they're doing something good, he talks about it. When they're doing something bad, he talks about it.

He also seems to be the most connected person these days and the person I trust the most when it comes to Leafs news. Him and Jonas Siegel.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I am not a Mirtle fan. However, its not a big deal. Every person has someone they leak information to. As @93LEAFS has pointed out, this is a common occurance.

Reactions: Mork

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Over the years Mirtle has been one of the most negative reporters in terms of the Leafs.

He calls it like it is. It's refreshing and should be what we want. When they're doing something good, he talks about it. When they're doing something bad, he talks about it.

He also seems to be the most connected person these days and the person I trust the most when it comes to Leafs news. Him and Jonas Siegel.
I don't follow Mirtle. I used too, but he is too negative for my liking.
With that being said, I sometimes will read his articles because he might have inside information about the team.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
This stuff is silly: Mirtle and Dubas have similar ways of viewing the game - both like the use of stats, of speed and skill. It’s not terribly surprising that Mirtle likes some of Dubas’ decisions....

Mirtle used to slam Burke and Nonis because they made moves that ran counter to how he views the game

What experience does Mirtle have in hockey? Any background in math, economics, or stats?

Or is he basically no better than a HFboards poster only with a wider audience?

Last edited:
Reactions: coupe93

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I don't follow Mirtle. I used too, but he is too negative for my liking.
With that being said, I sometimes will read his articles because he might have inside information about the team.

Exactly. You don't tear down a guy who's going to be feeding you info. We should be happy that there is someone Dubas does trust otherwise we might not be getting dished much of anything of substance. Mirtle still provides good enough analysis and if we're going to hear scoops, it might as well be from him. Who else in the vaunted hockey media would you rather get insider info from? Turn to other journalists if you're looking for a more objective slant on Dubas' tenure.

Reactions: Menzinger

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
you can hardly see the strings..............

upload_2019-4-6_12-0-21.jpeg

Reactions: hotpaws

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
No, it is.

Using the appeal to authority argument is dumb.

That means for example because you order food from a restaurant and it's not good, you can't criticize the chef since you aren't one etc.

I'm not making any appeal to authority. I'm simply asking what background Mirtle has in hockey and statistics. Three very answerable questions..

If he's going to write declarative pieces, then wouldn't it be helpful to know he has some background/credibility in the subjects?

I guess you don't but maybe others do? :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad