Player Discussion James “The Real Deal” Neal a Flame! 5 years, 28.75 million.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We should trade Gaudreau in 2 seasons IMO. I also trust that Treliving will get a great return out of him. I look no further than how he handled the Dougie situation.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Gaudreau is 4 seasons an expansion or two and a CBA negotiation away. There are many things that could happen before now and then. While an eye on the future is always needed nobody can determine how it will all play out.

Maybe Johnny marries a local gal and has his mind changed entirely. Maybe the teams and hockey played out east is ill suited for Johnny. Maybe an injury to him Monahan or somebody else changes the direction of the team... Who knows?

What I do know is the contracts are structured in such a manner that there should be no toxic pills like what happened in TO with Kessel, Phaneuf, Clarkson and so on. Calgary maybe has one or 2 that might become less than ideal but nothing they should not be able to get out from. Edmonton is in a more precarious situation that way.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, I'm not sure why so many fans seem to have a complex with regards to Johnny. Is it because he took a haircut in his last negotiations?

How many players actually do the whole "going back home" thing when they're part of the core group on a team? There's a reason why so much was made of the Tavares (and previously Stamkos) situations. That is an extremely rare occurrence.

As long as the Flames do things right and keep the ship heading in the right direction, which this off-season seems to suggest, there won't be much reason for Johnny to want to jump ship from a situation where he's a fan favourite, is familiar with the city and has a chance to win.

The other key thing that people seem to overlook is that Johnny had it entirely within his power to avoid playing for the Flames and to sign with another team if that was what he wanted to do. He only needed to stay in college one more season, and he would have had an opportunity to play with his brother, too. But he decided against that, and chose to play in Calgary.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I disagree with most fans thinking that Neal will be toast by the end of his contract.

IMO, he will be great for all 5 years assuming he stays all 5 seasons. The reason I say this is because JG and Mony did great with someone slower. Jiri Hudler. JG and Mony need a certain player and I think Neal can be that guy they haven't had since Jiri Hudler completely broke down due to injuries. Neal is going to be a huge part of that line and IMO can probably teach those two guys a thing or two. Even if Neal's skating really goes down the drain, IMO, he only needs to watch some tape of Hudler to retool his game to continue being relevant on the top line.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
We should trade Gaudreau in 2 seasons IMO. I also trust that Treliving will get a great return out of him. I look no further than how he handled the Dougie situation.

I wonder if Gaudreau would play for Islanders? Calling it, one year before Gaudreau is a free agent, we do a deal around him and Wahlstrom/Dobson++

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Mangiapane is a left shooting LW and Czarnik shoots right and he either plays center or RW. They won't be competing for the same spot.
Not the same spot but they will be competing for the 12th or 13th spot
Flames have guys that can play multiple positions. They can be moved around.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm not sure why so many fans seem to have a complex with regards to Johnny. Is it because he took a haircut in his last negotiations?

For me it is 100% due to his crappy attitude.

He always seems to be looking for some reason he was slighted/treated unfair and always, always looks to blame others for his failures. I could easily see him already building up bitterness about his deal, ignoring reality that it was inline with other RFAs at the time and instead blaming the Flames.

If the team isn't 100% successful it is very easy to see him blaming everyone around him and thinking that if he moves somewhere else it will be better because of course it couldn't ever be precious little John Boy that wasn't doing something right.

Plus he does seem overly attached to his family and his hometown so I think he would be a candidate to move back more than a regular guy without those strong attachments.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015

He always seems to be looking for some reason he was slighted/treated unfair and always, always looks to blame others for his failures. I could easily see him already building up bitterness about his deal, ignoring reality that it was inline with other RFAs at the time and instead blaming the Flames.

If the team isn't 100% successful it is very easy to see him blaming everyone around him and thinking that if he moves somewhere else it will be better because of course it couldn't ever be precious little John Boy that wasn't doing something right.

Plus he does seem overly attached to his family and his hometown so I think he would be a candidate to move back more than a regular guy without those strong attachments.

Wow... you must know him really well to have all of these insights about him. Please tell me more.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

I don't see this. At all. Are we watching the same player? If anything, Johnny is a hyper-competitive player but I don't think that should be misconstrued as having a crappy attitude. Can you provide examples to where he is "always looking to blame others for his failures"?

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't see this. At all. Are we watching the same player? If anything, Johnny is a hyper-competitive player but I don't think that should be misconstrued as having a crappy attitude. Can you provide examples to where he is "always looking to blame others for his failures"?

Everytime he loses the puck he turns and cries to the refs. Look how often he is crying to the refs instead of trying to go get the puck back. He spends more time whining than he does playing at this point.

Reactions: Bronco Horvat

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Every time? Crazy.

Sorry not everytime as we saw in the World Championships he has now added cheap shotting to his bags of tricks as well so we can likely expect to see that mixed in between his cry fests.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I suppose. You seem to be on an island with that point of view though.

It seems like there are more than a few others that think John Boy could leave as well, but if I am the only one with that point of view I am more than fine with that.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
He does whine more than the average NHLer. I would say that mostly had to do with getting hacked on the wrist every other shift. Last year refs clamped down on that, I certainly didn't see JG looking their way as much. I think Baxterman is inferring way too much into nothing really. But if you're throwing darts at a board, you'll eventually hit a bulls-eye I guess.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Everytime he loses the puck he turns and cries to the refs. Look how often he is crying to the refs instead of trying to go get the puck back. He spends more time whining than he does playing at this point.
Another player who was known for this was Sidney Crosby when he broke into the league. I have no issue with saying that Gaudreau whines. What is bizarre is trying to draw a correlation between players who whine about being defended illegally and players who bolt from their teams in free agency. Seems a bit non sequitous.

But thank you for replying to my query. It puts my mind at ease. Anyone else? Hox?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Another player who was known for this was Sidney Crosby when he broke into the league. I have no issue with saying that Gaudreau whines. What is bizarre is trying to draw a correlation between players who whine about being defended illegally and players who bolt from their teams in free agency. Seems a bit non sequitous.

But thank you for replying to my query. It puts my mind at ease. Anyone else? Hox?

The Sid stuff was always overblown. Plus John Boy cries a lot about legal plays as well. Hell his cheap shot at the World Championships came because he was hit with a perfectly legal hit.

It also comes from reports of his bitching about his contract and him being an overall prick and unlikable guy. So if it was only the whining then yes it may be a stretch but combine that with his attitude overall, his strong feelings towards home and his family and his need to blame everyone else and I think it is a real concern going forward.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I suppose. You seem to be on an island with that point of view though.

Not everybody here thinks Johnny is the second coming of Christ.

Personally I value Chucky, Monahan, and Gio above Johnny. That is not to say Johnny is a crap player but I believe organizationally there are better or more complete assets.

It seems like there are more than a few others that think John Boy could leave as well, but if I am the only one with that point of view I am more than fine with that.

I don't think there is anybody here that will say 100% that Johnny will spend his entire career here. The draw to go home is strong with Gaudreau but in the same breath neither you or I can predict how things will play out.

He does whine more than the average NHLer. I would say that mostly had to do with getting hacked on the wrist every other shift. Last year refs clamped down on that, I certainly didn't see JG looking their way as much. I think Baxterman is inferring way too much into nothing really. But if you're throwing darts at a board, you'll eventually hit a bulls-eye I guess.

Try being one of the smallest players in the league with less talented players threatening your livelihood every day. Until you walk a mile in a man's shoes nothing can be said of Johnny's behaviors in regards to complaining to the referees, commenting on hacks or even the occasional frustration hack that may happen.

Johnny Gaudreau is one of the most dynamic offensive threats in the NHL. The guy spins on a dime, undresses all-star forwards and defensemen nightly and has a hockey IQ that maybe in the top 2 or 3 guys in the league. The only thing that Johnny does not have is size. If he did --- Connor and Sidney would not be competing for the title of best player in the league.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The Sid stuff was always overblown. Plus John Boy cries a lot about legal plays as well. Hell his cheap shot at the World Championships came because he was hit with a perfectly legal hit.

It also comes from reports of his *****ing about his contract and him being an overall prick and unlikable guy. So if it was only the whining then yes it may be a stretch but combine that with his attitude overall, his strong feelings towards home and his family and his need to blame everyone else and I think it is a real concern going forward.

Where are these "reports?" Who are the sources? I haven't heard anything like that at all.

I would put the things you are saying in the category of "possible, but unsupported." Like if I was to say "we shouldn't count on Monahan because in 4 years he will enter the NHL substance abuse problem for his massive cocaine addiction." And then supported it with how disinterested he looks sometimes. And that spurious report I heard from a guy who heard it from his buddy whose girlfriend's cousin was at a bar with Johnny and Monny. You can't unequivocally say that it isn't going to happen, it's just silly for me to consider it as the likely way things are going.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Where are these "reports?" Who are the sources? I haven't heard anything like that at all.

I would put the things you are saying in the category of "possible, but unsupported." Like if I was to say "we shouldn't count on Monahan because in 4 years he will enter the NHL substance abuse problem for his massive cocaine addiction." And then supported it with how disinterested he looks sometimes. And that spurious report I heard from a guy who heard it from his buddy whose girlfriend's cousin was at a bar with Johnny and Monny. You can't unequivocally say that it isn't going to happen, it's just silly for me to consider it as the likely way things are going.

Reports around the time of the deal and the fact that he took so long to get the deal signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad