Player Discussion James “The Real Deal” Neal a Flame! 5 years, 28.75 million.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
He thinks he’s going to get the chance to play on the topline. I think he would slot nicely anywhere, but when you spend that kind of dough on a player, you want the max production possible. He’ll get that Batman and Robin.

I’d actually like to see tkachuk as far away from monahan and Gaudreau as possible until he is extended lol

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
He thinks he’s going to get the chance to play on the topline. I think he would slot nicely anywhere, but when you spend that kind of dough on a player, you want the max production possible. He’ll get that Batman and Robin.
In another interview he mentioned Tkachuk as well. So he knows he could play on either line

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I’d actually like to see tkachuk as far away from monahan and Gaudreau as possible until he is extended lol

Haha, oddly enough I was thinking the same thing.
The guy was on pace for 60 points with Backs and Frolik shooting career lows. If those guys were shooting average... he'd pace over 65-70. We put him with our previous only finisher and one of the most dynamic offensive pieces in the league... yeah. That guy would be an all-star imo.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Neal being a Flame is still weird and I don’t know why.
I don't remember the last time a guy of Neal's calibre decided to sign with the Flames. Usually the Flames are in on the middle-six/bottom-six guys but rarely ever have they been able to snag the big fish of FA. The biggest name in recent memory IMO is Brouwer, and before that would be Frolik.

Aug 3, 2010
I don't remember the last time a guy of Neal's calibre decided to sign with the Flames. Usually the Flames are in on the middle-six/bottom-six guys but rarely ever have they been able to snag the big fish of FA. The biggest name in recent memory IMO is Brouwer, and before that would be Frolik.
Jagr, you fool.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
You insolent deuce of a man.

giphy.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I still love the fact that I got a Jagr jersey for Christmas...5 years from now some kid is gonna ask me who the hell jagr is :laugh:

And you'll smoke him like a bad cigar. :)

I freaking love my Jagr jersey.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Great signing for the Flames here, it was really that losing streak at the end of the season that ended the Flames playoff chances, with James Neal on the team Flames can expect 40 - 50 some points from him I think that will be good enough to get them in the playoffs.
UIsID9p.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CoconutKing

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Great signing for the Flames here, it was really that losing streak at the end of the season that ended the Flames playoff chances, with James Neal on the team Flames can expect 40 - 50 some points from him I think that will be good enough to get them in the playoffs.
vW2DJuh.jpg

That's one hell of a photoshop of Neal and Stajan. :laugh:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
The rebuild technically didn't start until 5 years ago, and you could say it's been an, uh, uneven time since then, so I think it makes sense the Flames haven't been attracting much top end UFA talent.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Yeah. I think in general it's unfortunate from a cap perspective to stick ELC players with your top end offensive talent. One because you're almost guaranteed to goose their numbers making the next contract inherenly more expensive, and two because it can make it harder to properly assess how much of that success was the player himself rather than his linemates. The latter obviously doesn't apply to Tkachuk here since we have good evidence that he's an excellent player, but it's one of those things that definitely bites teams in the ass on multiple occasions.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I know Neal is having fun here, but this is typical Neal. He’s already playing the game before lacing them up in Flames silks. He’s kind of a **** personality and he’s not afraid to show that on the ice either.

I mean I don’t mind, we need more of that but this is classic Neal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->