LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Easily replaceable player.
Should NOT be a nhl roster player.

Handles the puck like a grenade.
Every time he does a good defensive play he coughs up the puck right away often leading to a turnover.

Can’t make a simple pass/shot on net.

He’s like the textbook ahl d.

I like the guy but he doesn’t belong in the nhl.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Easily replaceable player.
Should NOT be a nhl roster player.

Handles the puck like a grenade.
Every time he does a good defensive play he coughs up the puck right away often leading to a turnover.

Can’t make a simple pass/shot on net.

He’s like the textbook ahl d.

I like the guy but he doesn’t belong in the nhl.
Yup. Not skilled enough or have the hockey sense to be an NHL regular on a decent team.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Another guy that Benning has specifically pumped the tires of all offseason who has failed to live up to our own GM's assessment.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When you lose as lopsided a game as the Canucks lost to the Leafs, it's safe to say that nobody on the blueline played well.....but I have to say of this sorry group, Chatfield stood out for me in a good way. That one shift where he shadowed Matthews around the net and eventually ended up stealing the puck and clearing it, is a play that few of the current Canuck blueliners can make.

You can see the kid has an elite set of wheels for a d-man even if his offense is virtually non-existent. And he seems to actually be improving every game.

But speaking of d-men on the Canucks, it has to be said--Myers is one gawd-awful d-man. He's doing his best imitation of Erik Gudbranson these days. He's basically a turnover machine in his own zone. I don't think Sbisa at his worst was this bad. And of course because of the contract, the nightmare won't end anytime soon.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
What do I think of Chatfield? Well he’s not nearly as big of a problem as Benning, but I don’t know if he will become an everyday D-man at this level.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
His ceiling is Benn with wheels.

The issue isn't Jalen Chatfield, he has aspects of his game like his skating and tenacity that I like. The issue is that we needed to have accumulated 5x Jalen Chatfield types and hopefully one pans out to be a cheap 6-7 defenceman. Rinse and repeat.

But we didn't do that, so here we are, hoping against hope that this one semi-competent young guy can play in top two pairs.

Reactions: tantalum

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Juolevi should be in there over Chatfield. He's not going to fix this defensive tire fire but he's less chaotic/lower risk. And with Chatfield the reward for that risk hasn't been there.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
When you lose as lopsided a game as the Canucks lost to the Leafs, it's safe to say that nobody on the blueline played well.....but I have to say of this sorry group, Chatfield stood out for me in a good way. That one shift where he shadowed Matthews around the net and eventually ended up stealing the puck and clearing it, is a play that few of the current Canuck blueliners can make.

You can see the kid has an elite set of wheels for a d-man even if his offense is virtually non-existent. And he seems to actually be improving every game.

But speaking of d-men on the Canucks, it has to be said--Myers is one gawd-awful d-man. He's doing his best imitation of Erik Gudbranson these days. He's basically a turnover machine in his own zone. I don't think Sbisa at his worst was this bad. And of course because of the contract, the nightmare won't end anytime soon.
Were we watching the same game? Myers wasn't great, as usual, but he was much better than Chatfield.

Reactions: LordBacon

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When you break down the Canuck defense, the verdict is either 'too old'. 'too slow' 'too passive' and just not set up to handle the speed of the Canadian division where the forwards come at you in waves through the neutral zone. There's a reason why they're the worst defensive team in the NHL.

And that's really the only reason Chatfield can play in this group.....he's one of the few guys who can skate and has decent mobility. But it says a lot (and not in a good way) that this guy is playing ahead of Juolevi, who was a fifth overall pick.

Reactions: mossey3535

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There isn't really a comparable for Chatfield because smallish guys with his level of offensive production in the AHL simply never reach the NHL.

Again, Ashton Sautner might be the closest and his two stretches here in 2017-2019, Sautner provided a very similar level of play and contribution to what Chatfield is doing now. Both guys are basically #8-9 guys you can plug in for a few games in an injury crisis and they're reliable enough defensively that they won't hurt you, but do not have the overall skill level to be able to project as NHL regulars.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
In his last year in Vancouver, Biega had 16 points in 41 games. In the NHL.

In his 4-year professional career primarily in Utica, Chatfield has 17 points. The last time he scored a goal at any level, the Sedins were still active NHL players.
I really don't see any upside to his game. He's not a big or strong guy who can clear the net. When you get players with such low offensive stats in the farm level, you usually have the upside of a big guy who specialize in a certain thing.

replaceable player

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad