Jalen Chatfield: Thoughts?

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Green should grow a pair and let Juolevi play all the games and see if he is anything more than a bottom pairing defenceman. If he does not play him now when there are no fans( less pressure) i don;t know when is the time to play him.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Green should grow a pair and let Juolevi play all the games and see if he is anything more than a bottom pairing defenceman. If he does not play him now when there are no fans( less pressure) i don;t know when is the time to play him.

Not sure he is even that at this stage.

Reactions: Pavel96

Blackjackz

Jun 23, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Really surprised how well Chatfield has played this season... Given time, I think he could develop into a good shut down defenseman, someone you can pair with a more offensively minded partner to hold the fort. A good shutdown guy is something every team needs on their roster, and often log huge minutes during tight games and during the playoffs. No, he is not there yet, but I think this small sample size indicates he could be that guy. Let's face it, D-men get hurt during an 82 game season, you need to have 8 bona fide defensemen on the roster if you are going to compete every night. The more options you have 5 thru 8 to be able to log meaningful minutes is key to keeping your top four healthy and fresh night in and night out.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

yikes. terrible idea. lose games to confirm what we already know?

Juolevi needs improvement to get icetime. don't need games to see this

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Really surprised how well Chatfield has played this season... Given time, I think he could develop into a good shut down defenseman, someone you can pair with a more offensively minded partner to hold the fort. A good shutdown guy is something every team needs on their roster, and often log huge minutes during tight games and during the playoffs. No, he is not there yet, but I think this small sample size indicates he could be that guy. Let's face it, D-men get hurt during an 82 game season, you need to have 8 bona fide defensemen on the roster if you are going to compete every night. The more options you have 5 thru 8 to be able to log meaningful minutes is key to keeping your top four healthy and fresh night in and night out.

Chatfield is the same age as Jake Virtanen. He's basically a finished product at this point. And that product is Ryan Stanton. A fine depth piece, nothing more.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Chatfield is the same age as Jake Virtanen. He's basically a finished product at this point. And that product is Ryan Stanton. A fine depth piece, nothing more.

You always see this. A mid 20 year old player like Krajicek, Lee Sweatt, Gragnani, and Diaz draws into the lineup. Gets points or makes a few good plays in a sheltered role but looks like complete crap otherwise, and everyone thinks they have potential when they are potentially ok in a depth 7th/8th role.

DETROIT 101

Jan 30, 2021
He’s played 6-7 games. How has he peaked? Playing top 4 against other teams top line s. /he is fine. /? He’s not ice it only 1 time. Not got beat one on one. Lol. Lots of hate.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Chatfield is fine as a stop gap. He won't frustrate coaches because he'll generally execute the safe play and has solid positioning.

He's just too limited skill-wise to play anywhere above a bottom-pair though. His handling of the puck under pressure can lead to turnovers, and sometimes his stretch passes are a bit off.

For a defensive-oriented defenseman, he doesn't really have great size, which will limit him in that area as well.

I legitimately do think he's better than OJ right now, but for the good of the franchise, they have to really see what they have in OJ and let him play.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Are you related?

The play dies on his stick. He’s unable to contribute to sustained offense because he’s limited and plays within himself. He can play in his own end semi adequately but doesn’t move the needle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Chatfield is simply a younger version of Alex Biega. He’s a good guy to have around to step for injuries. If he’s playing regularly the team is in trouble. I like his try, but he has no puck skills.

Last edited by a moderator:

DETROIT 101

Jan 30, 2021
Like I said that you would look at pts. Offense/. Defense won Saturday night. Team defense. You are lost. Lots of hate. Lol.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Do you see what happens when he’s not with the beagle line? The good players get hemmed in their own end with him.

His go to play in the offensive end is a dump to the corner. Everyone can see that.

Peterpuck7810

Jan 13, 2021
Chatfield has pluses and minuses... Here in Utica his speed and ability to catch players was amazing.

Don't expect any offense from Him. Just nothing there.....

He struggles pushing people out from in front of the net, can be out muscled easily.

Reactions: Luckylarry

DETROIT 101

Jan 30, 2021
Was a turn over? Save right to Anderson. And was not strong enough to hold him out. Shit happen s.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
We see this scenario every season with marginal rookies of all types,forwards,defencemen,and goalies.They look decent for the first couple of weeks until opposing teams get a book on them and then they get exploited and/or shutdown then fizzle out and go back to being AHL players.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So far Chatfield has NHL wheels but an ECHL brain. Maybe playing in the NHL will bring out any latent talent he might have on the offensive side of the puck. But then again, probably not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad