Jalen Chatfield: Thoughts?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Chatfield is young and entertaining in a tanking sort of way (entertanking).

I'm thumbs up on Jalen.

u0QnjHv.gif

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Exactly. Play Rathbone and Juolevi and let them atleast get some gametime if we’re going to get slaughtered anyway.

I wouldn't put Rathbone into this defensive mess. Defence is the part of his game that needs work. He should be AHL-bound when Hamonic returns.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The real scary thing is that Chatfield has been far from their worst d-man the last couple of games.

When an AHL-NHL 'tweener is better than most of the rest of your defensemen, it's like a gut-punch bringing you back to the reality of what this group is.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
The real scary thing is that Chatfield has been far from their worst d-man the last couple of games.

When an AHL-NHL 'tweener is better than most of the rest of your defensemen, it's like a gut-punch bringing you back to the reality of what this group is.

I kept an eye on Chatfield in the Montreal games and the game against Toronto. Yes, Chatfield wasn't perfect, but it's true - the guy was definitely not the worst defenseman out there for the Canucks. Some of the worst miscues came from some of the veterans who should know better.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
I really don't see any upside to his game. He's not a big or strong guy who can clear the net. When you get players with such low offensive stats in the farm level, you usually have the upside of a big guy who specialize in a certain thing.

replaceable player

I don’t understand how the coaching staff see this and still want him over Juolevi

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
Probably because Olli isn't that much better right now.

If/when Chatfield ends up in the press box, it's not going to be because of Olli. It's probably Hamonic coming back.

Olli is too slow and cannot adequately defend off the rush and played sheltered 10-13 mins a game. Chatfield isn't perfect, but his game is more suited for the modern NHL than Olli.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If/when Chatfield ends up in the press box, it's not going to be because of Olli. It's probably Hamonic coming back.

Olli is too slow and cannot adequately defend off the rush and played sheltered 10-13 mins a game. Chatfield isn't perfect, but his game is more suited for the modern NHL than Olli.
Chatfield can stay up and keep a tight gap in the neutral zone. I’d like to see him with Hughes.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wouldn't put Rathbone into this defensive mess. Defence is the part of his game that needs work. He should be AHL-bound when Hamonic returns.
So where are you going to put Rathbone? It's now almost a year since he played a competitive game. Send him to Utica? That team is flooded with guys from both the Blues and the Canucks, and besides, the AHL schedule won't be even 20 games long by the time he actually gets there.

My concern is what happens if the Canucks fall out of contention in the North Division. Normally that's the time you start experimenting with your taxi squad guys. Who can play and who can't.

But like Willie before him, this coach will play the veterans to the bitter end. Sutter, Benn, Hamonic, Pearson and even Roussel, Eriksson and Beagle might all be gone at the end of the season. And if the Canucks are flat on their ass at season's end, you could argue that none of them should be back. So why waste valuable ice time on them?

With Chatfield, at least they're trying to figure out if he can actually play. What are they learning about Rathbone, Rafferty and Juolevi?......absolutely nothing so far.

Reactions: MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So where are you going to put Rathbone? It's now almost a year since he played a competitive game. Send him to Utica? That team is flooded with guys from both the Blues and the Canucks, and besides, the AHL schedule won't be even 20 games long by the time he actually gets there.

My concern is what happens if the Canucks fall out of contention in the North Division. Normally that's the time you start experimenting with your taxi squad guys. Who can play and who can't.

But like Willie before him, this coach will play the veterans to the bitter end. Sutter, Benn, Hamonic, Pearson and even Roussel, Eriksson and Beagle might all be gone at the end of the season. And if the Canucks are flat on their ass at season's end, you could argue that none of them should be back. So why waste valuable ice time on them?

With Chatfield, at least they're trying to figure out if he can actually play. What are they learning about Rathbone, Rafferty and Juolevi?......absolutely nothing so far.

Agree, but Rafferty is also a UFA at the end of the season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Agree, but Rafferty is also a UFA at the end of the season.
Rafferty is an RFA at the end of the season....which means the only way he walks is if the Canucks don't qualify him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Rafferty is an RFA at the end of the season....which means the only way he walks is if the Canucks don't qualify him.

He'll be a Group VI UFA. His status will change on Capfriendly at the end of the season when he doesn't reach the required GP total for RFA status.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Rathbone has never played above NCAA level. First thing would be to prove that he can handle defensive responsibilities in the AHL. And that's where he can learn in a safer environment. Those of us who watch Utica warned that Rafferty had defensive issues by AHL standards. Most people who watched Rathbone in the NCAA have said the same thing. Do you really think he's ready to step into this type of situation?

Also, he would only face a 7-day quarantine. The 14-day quarantine is a Canadian federal measure that applies to people coming into Canada. He would get plenty of games in Utica. And Manitoba is an option, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad