Jalen Chatfield: Thoughts?

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
That's what Quinn Hughes is for.

You can't have 6 all star defensemen on your roster.

No you can’t but if you can’t provide any offense you better be a good shut down defensemen and I don’t see any thing about his game suggesting that. Many people were raving about Corrado too in his initial stint in the playoffs that one year.

DETROIT 101

Jan 30, 2021
He’s no coming out of line up. What did that line do that he was match up with do //? 10 pt s last game coop ? o -2. Lol what game did you watch

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Never got the Chatfield hate. Sure there is little hope for a top 4 D here but even cup teams can use such defensive depth, and we don't have to develop everyone as a top 4.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Bieksa was probably biting his tongue the whole time trying not to say something bad about Chatfield. Bieksa had far better offensive numbers at the AHL level and was soon a top 4 Dman for the Canucks.

With that said, Chatfield does seem to play a pretty composed defensive game out there.

Yeah. I don’t really see a comparison between Chatfield and Bieksa at all. Two wildly different players - but then Hrudey always has odd hot takes like that.

Chatfield is doing well in his own right, and that’s great for us.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm not sure he's doing anything different than what Ashton Sautner did in his 22 games 2017-2019.

It's one thing to be a defensive defender from the AHL and come up and stay out of trouble for 15 minutes for a few games. It's another to be an actual regular NHL player.

Again, I'll be delighted to be wrong. But this is a movie I've seen a few times before.

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
I don't remember Ashton Sautner playing a regular shift or being deployed 15-17 mins a game against an opposing team's top lines. Watch Chatfield against the Tcakchuk line or the Scheifle line - he looks fairly solid. Corrado and Sautner or Brisebois were not playing those kind of minutes against those kind of opponents.

We are dealing with a small sample size. Chatfield could fall apart next week. I am just surprised by all of this - I didn't think he would play this much, get deployed this way, and look half-decent. I'm not the only guy who is surprised - so are the beat reporters, the radio guys and now even the TV guys taking notice.

I can't see Chatfield as a top 4 defenseman. I sure am surprised this happened for him so far.

I'm not sure he's doing anything different than what Ashton Sautner did in his 22 games 2017-2019.

It's one thing to be a defensive defender from the AHL and come up and stay out of trouble for 15 minutes for a few games. It's another to be an actual regular NHL player.

Again, I'll be delighted to be wrong. But this is a movie I've seen a few times before.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't remember Ashton Sautner playing a regular shift or being deployed 15-17 mins a game against an opposing team's top lines. Watch Chatfield against the Tcakchuk line or the Scheifle line - he looks fairly solid. Corrado and Sautner or Brisebois were not playing those kind of minutes against those kind of opponents.

We are dealing with a small sample size. Chatfield could fall apart next week. I am just surprised by all of this - I didn't think he would play this much, get deployed this way, and look half-decent. I'm not the only guy who is surprised - so are the beat reporters, the radio guys and now even the TV guys taking notice.

I can't see Chatfield as a top 4 defenseman. I sure am surprised this happened for him so far.

Sautner averaged 14:00 in those two seasons (including a couple low games dragging it down) and absolutely was playing 18-21 minutes for a stretch of games in March 2019, and did pretty well.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Kind of OT. But did I hear right on the broadcast last night that we have the most points of any team from our D?
I know we’ve played more games than a lot of teams but what a turn around from just a few years ago.

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
I would agree.

I am not trying to pump Chatfield's tires, but man, I am surprised. I knew Benning and Green liked him, and everyone wondered why Rafferty wasn't getting the love, but after watching him for the past few games, I think the Canucks may have a solid third-pairing guy.

Juolevi is sitting on the bench right now because his lack of mobility is a problem. It's probably the injuries he has experienced, but Chatfield seems to have shot up past him and all the other young D at this point. Guys like Rathbone are a different story - he just needs more experience and I see him as a future top 4 guy.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol!.....I remember clearly that some of the sites like Canucks Army and other draftists were turning two thumbs down for the Canucks decision to sign Chatfield and MacEwen as undrafted junior players. Some described it as a 'waste of contract spots'.

Yet here they are a few years later....both in the NHL. And whatever the Canucks get from them from here on in, is a total bonus.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

DETROIT 101

Jan 30, 2021
Watch a lot of ohl games and spitfires games/ cup winner/ and he was in Detroit s camp/. Lol. Defense first/.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Lol!.....I remember clearly that some of the sites like Canucks Army and other draftists were turning two thumbs down for the Canucks decision to sign Chatfield and MacEwen as undrafted junior players. Some described it as a 'waste of contract spots'.

Yet here they are a few years later....both in the NHL. And whatever the Canucks get from them from here on in, is a total bonus.
MacEwan looks better than Gaudette and Virtanen so far this year!

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019

Both guys were signed as undrafted free agents in 2017. Both have received a lot of attention from the coaching staffs in Utica and Vancouver and both have turned (at this point) into serviceable NHL players. In yesterday's game in the 4-1 win against Winnipeg, Chatfield's playing 17 mins against Winnipeg's top line in unsheltered minutes and there's Mac scoring a tip-in goal and on the #2 PP unit. Not bad for a few late bloomers.

Virtanen should take note, but we all know that he doesn't. If he cared as half as much as Chatty and Mac on honing his game, he wouldn't be in the press box and would average 20 goals per year.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Only way for him to be effective is to be a shut down guy, because he can’t play offensively, he just doesn’t have it in him.
But I’m alright with using him as a bottom pairing guy.
If only he wasn’t so timid with the puck on his stick I would have him over juolevi no problem. If opposition start focusing him hard he’s gonna break

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I was pretty surprised to see him jump up into the play as much as he did last night. I was especially surprised on that one play where he came down the left with the puck and made a great centring pass for an excellent chance for someone. Hasn’t seen that from him before and it might be a once in a blue moon occurrence.

Last night was a pretty good game for him but the question is whether he can do it consistently. I also want to see him more defending zone entries. This team is far too permissive in general so it may by a system thing, but with his skating he should be pretty good at holding the line.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I would very much appreciate it if Chatfield can stay the entire career on our third pairing as a low event defensemen. Eat minutes, play well, fight the battles.

Cap hit stays low, this is how you win.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Not everybody comes to the NHL and figures it out. Be interesting to see where he is in 20 games. Hopefully he continues to improve and find consistency.

I’d be stoked to have him as a 3rd pairing guy for a few years.

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
I just want to keep an eye on him for the next 20 games. See how he does. It looks like Baumgartner seems to like him...which translates to his assignments and playing time. Green's comments post game have been positive. Can he keep it up? Will he hit a wall?

Let's see.

Reactions: Bubbles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad