Jalen Chatfield: Thoughts?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I don’t think there’s potential as a regular NHLer but as a 7/8 guy potentially. Can’t say he was thrown into a fair situation last year.

7/8 guys end up being NHL regulars due to injury. That isn't where you want a guy like Chatfield. He should be in a 9-11 slot in an organization at most.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
7/8 guys end up being NHL regulars due to injury. That isn't where you want a guy like Chatfield. He should be in a 9-11 slot in an organization at most.

Fair enough. I’m not saying he’s there now but could see him improving into someone not on your roster opening night but plays games for you each year in a limited third pairing role. Maybe that’s more of an 8/9 than a 7/8

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's a guy with good skating ability and defensive fundamentals who can be a #9-10 organizational guy who won't hurt you too much if he gets called up to play 11-12 minutes for a couple games in an injury crunch.

His total lack of puck skills and transition game mean he has zero chance of being a regular NHLer as he just starts bleeding goals in larger sample sizes because his teams don't score with him on the ice.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Chatfield doesn't have enough NHL games to qualify as an RFA, so he'll be a UFA by this time next week. He brings a few elements to the table, and might a decent depth guy for Abbotsford.

But quite frankly they'll be a lot more d-men on the open market come next week who have a lot more upside. I'd be surprised if he's re-signed.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Exhibit #753 that Benning has no clue how to evaluate defenders.

Stuff like this really doesn't get the attention it should.

This is an NHL GM with a scouting background who based on his role/salary/position should be one of the best people on the entire planet at evaluating hockey players.

That evaluation of Chatfield is so bad it's beyond belief. It would be bad coming from a 12 y/o. It's like watching Wayne Gretzky play and thinking that he lacked hockey sense and playmaking ability.

And it isn't like this is some KHL player he saw twice and is small sample-sizing it. This is a player who had been in the organization for 3-4 years who Benning had been following closely and presumably had seen dozens if not hundreds of times. To come out of that with an evaluation that bad means you simply don't understand hockey.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

This is an NHL GM with a scouting background who based on his role/salary/position should be one of the best people on the entire planet at evaluating hockey players.

That evaluation of Chatfield is so bad it's beyond belief. It would be bad coming from a 12 y/o. It's like watching Wayne Gretzky play and thinking that he lacked hockey sense and playmaking ability.

And it isn't like this is some KHL player he saw twice and is small sample-sizing it. This is a player who had been in the organization for 3-4 years who Benning had been following closely and presumably had seen dozens if not hundreds of times. To come out of that with an evaluation that bad means you simply don't understand hockey.

I just assumed that quote had to be from 4 or 5 years ago.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
pumping the tires of fringe prospects is something benning has done forever. i assume he does it for morale purposes

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Seen enough of Chatfield.
Time to look around a bit.
How about one of those patented NCAA free agent coups? Got any of those in stock?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

And this is an actual former NHL defenseman. That's the really insane part. He himself actually *played* that position, and now it's like he has no idea what he's seeing when he watches hockey.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Was he ever a good defensemen?

I actually don't even remember him from that time period. I followed the team, I watched the games, but I can't recall actually anything about him as a player. Although...I might have had his hockey card. In fact, pretty sure I did. I remember a still of his face in a helmet, so that must have been it. His numbers say he might have been at least okay; had 33 points one year. But I honestly have no memory whatsoever of Jim Benning on the ice.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Was he ever a good defensemen?
Yes, both he and his brother Brian. They were fast, creative undersized defenders with a ton of skill. Brian was meaner and less disciplined, Jim had more skill. Jim had 111 assists in his final year of junior and was trending toward being an all-situations top-pairing defenceman, and one of the better playmaking defencemen in the league, until a serious knee injury in 85-86 at age 22 took away most of his mobility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad