Player Discussion Jakub Zboril

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Exactly. Let's not forget about the cap.... In a cap world, it's actually ideal for certain players to take more time in the A and ease into the NHL. If we had a bunch of McAvoys awaiting pay day, we'd be screwed.

great point, we will be and are kind of watching the Leafs going through this now with Nylander and wait til next year...

Reactions: Son of Donegal

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I don't get it either.

He's on pace for 40 pts. He's average just a shade under 20 mins. per game and climbing. One of the more consistent D-men in the league at moving the puck.

Too bad the Know-nothings around here just see his height and weight.

Please. Are you an NHL GM or scout? No? Then you are just like the rest of us. Just because someone might not factor Gryz into the Bruins' long term plans, doesn't mean it's just about height/weight or that the person is ignorant for having a different opinion.

I have followed Matt Grzelcyk since he was at Belmont Hill. I have seen him live in about 30 games between Belmont Hill, BU, Providence and Boston. I have always been a fan of his and continue to root for him. I actually have no real issue with him as a player. However, when I look at the current Bruins D-corps from top to bottom and project out what it might look like 2-4 years from now, I struggle with whether Gryz fits long-term.

Gryz is valuable to the team now because he brings a combination of skill, speed and smarts and can slot into the top 4 D and PP in the case of injury. His current point totals are encouraging, but half of those points came off the PP. Those are Torey Krug's PP minutes. So, as the D corps is currently constituted, Gryz doesn't get top 4 minutes or top PP minutes unless Krug is out of the picture. If you feel that Matt Gryz is a more important player than Torey Krug to the Bruins' success...I am willing to listen to your take. For me, Krug's offensive skillset and chemistry with the forwards is one of a kind on this squad. While I love Gryz, his style of game and point contributions are replaceable.

Many people believe the Bruins are better with both Gryz and Krug in the 6 starting D. I think, depending on the match-up, this is true. His quick puck retrieval and outlet passing game is an ideal fit against fast, skilled teams. However, there are situations where having these two smaller, fleet footed D is not ideal. Part of playing defense is wearing down the opposing teams forward and making life difficult in the corners and front of the net. The need for this type of grinding game becomes even more important in the playoffs. This is where Grzelcyk and Krug struggled. While Krug played 20 minutes per night and scored at above a point per game, he finished with a -5 rating. Gryz was held to just 1 assist, finished -2 and his minutes dropped to 15 per game.

While one might expect Gryz to continue to improve as a defenseman (I see these improvements primarily showing on the scoresheet), I do not think he is able to surpass Krug and join the top-4 unless there is an injury. Likewise, with players like Zboril, Lauzon and Vaakanainen waiting in the wings - and each of these D offer excellent skating, passing and a bit more size, is it that unreasonable to imagine Gryz getting bumped? Or traded?

If you disagree, that's fine. But, my opinion isn't based in bias against Gryz. It's based in a general sense that the Bruins will need to be tougher to play against in their own end, primarily during the playoffs, if they want to see another cup before Bergeron retires.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
With McAvoy out there is a good chance of him playing.
They already have 6 D's:
Chara - Grzelcyk
Krug - Moore
Lauzon - Kampfer

Unless someone has an injury he won't play it seems but I wouldn't mind if they decide to sit Kampfer tbh.

Reactions: BiGBear8

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I'm excited to see Zboril play an NHL game. Also see this as an audition for trade bait. If Zboril plays well and doesn't look out of place after 5-10 NHL games...... The Bruins have a really great problem. Lauzon/Zboril/Grizz would be all good trade chips.
So will Miller, rather move him before any of the young guys

Reactions: Dr Hook

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Kampfer is a penalty machine but he will play because of the fact he is the only RHD on the back end and has experience.

He's been perfectly fine as a 7th D. While Kampfer has run into penalty issues recently, primarily against speedy forwards on VAN and TOR, he has more than held his own when he ISN'T in the box. All of his possession stats are strong. He has never been an egregious penalty taker, either. I say give Zboril a shot, either way. He's due for some NHL duty.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He's been perfectly fine as a 7th D. While Kampfer has run into penalty issues recently, primarily against speedy forwards on VAN and TOR, he has more than held his own when he ISN'T in the box. All of his possession stats are strong. He has never been an egregious penalty taker, either. I say give Zboril a shot, either way. He's due for some NHL duty.

Agree, while I think he's been decent overall as well, I also think as a 7/8th dman type, we have gotten enough games out of him to wear out his shelf life. On the road against a non- divisional, non-conference opponent is a perfect opportunity to give Zboril a test game. Grizz and Moore can both play fine on the right. If Zboril is a gong show out there, it is easy enough to rotate Kampfer back in next game.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
They already have 6 D's:
Chara - Grzelcyk
Krug - Moore
Lauzon - Kampfer

Unless someone has an injury he won't play it seems but I wouldn't mind if they decide to sit Kampfer tbh.

Well...

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Please. Are you an NHL GM or scout? No? Then you are just like the rest of us. Just because someone might not factor Gryz into the Bruins' long term plans, doesn't mean it's just about height/weight or that the person is ignorant for having a different opinion.

I have followed Matt Grzelcyk since he was at Belmont Hill. I have seen him live in about 30 games between Belmont Hill, BU, Providence and Boston. I have always been a fan of his and continue to root for him. I actually have no real issue with him as a player. However, when I look at the current Bruins D-corps from top to bottom and project out what it might look like 2-4 years from now, I struggle with whether Gryz fits long-term.

Gryz is valuable to the team now because he brings a combination of skill, speed and smarts and can slot into the top 4 D and PP in the case of injury. His current point totals are encouraging, but half of those points came off the PP. Those are Torey Krug's PP minutes. So, as the D corps is currently constituted, Gryz doesn't get top 4 minutes or top PP minutes unless Krug is out of the picture. If you feel that Matt Gryz is a more important player than Torey Krug to the Bruins' success...I am willing to listen to your take. For me, Krug's offensive skillset and chemistry with the forwards is one of a kind on this squad. While I love Gryz, his style of game and point contributions are replaceable.

Many people believe the Bruins are better with both Gryz and Krug in the 6 starting D. I think, depending on the match-up, this is true. His quick puck retrieval and outlet passing game is an ideal fit against fast, skilled teams. However, there are situations where having these two smaller, fleet footed D is not ideal. Part of playing defense is wearing down the opposing teams forward and making life difficult in the corners and front of the net. The need for this type of grinding game becomes even more important in the playoffs. This is where Grzelcyk and Krug struggled. While Krug played 20 minutes per night and scored at above a point per game, he finished with a -5 rating. Gryz was held to just 1 assist, finished -2 and his minutes dropped to 15 per game.

While one might expect Gryz to continue to improve as a defenseman (I see these improvements primarily showing on the scoresheet), I do not think he is able to surpass Krug and join the top-4 unless there is an injury. Likewise, with players like Zboril, Lauzon and Vaakanainen waiting in the wings - and each of these D offer excellent skating, passing and a bit more size, is it that unreasonable to imagine Gryz getting bumped? Or traded?

If you disagree, that's fine. But, my opinion isn't based in bias against Gryz. It's based in a general sense that the Bruins will need to be tougher to play against in their own end, primarily during the playoffs, if they want to see another cup before Bergeron retires.

My comment wasn't directed at you, that's an awful long rant, you seem upset.

Like I said, there are a bunch of know-nothings on this board who look at Matt Gryz and assume he's not long for the NHL because he's not heavy or tall. Certainly there are posters like yourself whose opinion isn't based on his height and weight, but generally, the posters here who don't see the value in a Matt Gryz (or a Torey Krug for that matter) can't get past the height and weight issue.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Will be interested to finally see this guy play! Only other times I've seen him has always been preseason.

When they first drafted him, I was really excited. I was stoked. That interest has waned over the time. But we'll see how this plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce