Player Discussion Jakub Zboril

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
All those here saying Lauzon looked so much better in his 1st game are lying or have bad memories. He was shaky, missed passes, and had some gap control issues. That 1st game he had a whole 32 seconds more ice time than Zboril did in this game and that was a 3-0 Bruins victory meaning he could have seen more but they chose not to use him. Lauzon also had a similar bad giveaway in his own zone early on in his 1st game and both times the goalie bailed them out. I can't believe all the people on here with agendas. It's crazy.

Is Lauzon better now after 6 or 7 games? Absolutely. He settled down and started playing his game. If he stays around long enough, I would expect to see that from Zboril too but he may not. O'Gara never settled down and it's possible Zboril will struggle too. We won't know until the games happen.

Great post, Lauzon didn`t produce a masterpiece in game one either, showed a few good things, showed a few "young" things then has settled in very nicely. Liked Zboril`s game from the 2nd onward last night, actually a bit surprised Butch didn`t put him out a bit more as he settled in nicely but maybe he just felt it was risky perhaps giving the kid a bit more than he potentially could handle in game 1

Reactions: 00BW and TCB

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
All those here saying Lauzon looked so much better in his 1st game are lying or have bad memories. He was shaky, missed passes, and had some gap control issues. That 1st game he had a whole 32 seconds more ice time than Zboril did in this game and that was a 3-0 Bruins victory meaning he could have seen more but they chose not to use him. Lauzon also had a similar bad giveaway in his own zone early on in his 1st game and both times the goalie bailed them out. I can't believe all the people on here with agendas. It's crazy.

Is Lauzon better now after 6 or 7 games? Absolutely. He settled down and started playing his game. If he stays around long enough, I would expect to see that from Zboril too but he may not. O'Gara never settled down and it's possible Zboril will struggle too. We won't know until the games happen.

Zboril was actually better than I expected - in a way. People think Vaak and Lauzon played great but there's a massive difference coming into a defensive situation that has Chara, McAvoy, Carlo, Moore out there as compared to coming into the situation he was put into last night. The defence was pretty much a hot mess across the board last night - and I don't blame them. It's tough. The only d-man whom 'reads' the game at an NHL level last night is Krug while the other five are all playing catch up. That makes it incredibly difficult to have a good showing - especially when you don't know your d partner well or how the forwards are positioned.

Zboril gets an easy pass from me. As that was one of the most difficult first games you get thrown into - including McAvoy and Krug in the playoffs as at least then they could lean on the vets.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I would caution any Bruins fans from trying to look too closely at our young defenders right now.

Last night we had three young defenders with a total of 5 NHL games under their belt.

No team in their right mind breaks defenders in that way. Nowhere to hide and very little if any veteran leadership on the ice to calm them down and provide guidance/cover.

Of course we have no choice at all but to put them all on the ice at the same time — so it is what it is.

For me the bottom line is if they look good, great. If not, we should all reserve judgement until the B’s can break them into NHL with a more normal entry.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I would caution any Bruins fans from trying to look too closely at our young defenders right now.

Last night we had three young defenders with a total of 5 NHL games under their belt.

No team in their right mind breaks defenders in that way. Nowhere to hide and very little if any veteran leadership on the ice to calm them down and provide guidance/cover.

Of course we have no choice at all but to put them all on the ice at the same time — so it is what it is.

For me the bottom line is if they look good, great. If not, we should all reserve judgement until the B’s can break them into NHL with a more normal entry.

yep. I made a joke before the game wondering how to shelter 5 defensemen. - unless a kid has that nervous energy peak for a game - they ain't gonna look good stepping into that situation last night. Same as third period against Dallas. Anyone expecting more from that defence last night (and tonight) is not fully invested in reality.

It's simply going to be ugly getting the puck out of the zone, keeping it in, making crisp passes, killing penalties, not giving up odd man rushes, etc. as you could throw Dahlin in there for his first game and he's not going to look comfortable.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
yep. I made a joke before the game wondering how to shelter 5 defensemen. - unless a kid has that nervous energy peak for a game - they ain't gonna look good stepping into that situation last night. Same as third period against Dallas. Anyone expecting more from that defence last night (and tonight) is not fully invested in reality.

It's simply going to be ugly getting the puck out of the zone, keeping it in, making crisp passes, killing penalties, not giving up odd man rushes, etc. as you could throw Dahlin in there for his first game and he's not going to look comfortable.
Couldn’t agree more. It’s an extraordinary situation.

AK37

May 25, 2006
RI
I think he has played well, skates well, makes the simple plays and has been steady

Not everyone is McAvoy and a stud at 19 years old.....I think guys like Lauzon and Zboril just being solid (they don't have to be stars) and playing responsible defense, retrieving pucks, using their skating, making the simple plays and smart first pass is going to be huge for this team

Let's face it.....Chara can't play more than another year or two....so this defensive core is going to be built around McAvoy, Carlo, Vaakannainen, Krug, Moore, Zboril, Grzelcyk, Lauzon going forward (barring a trade of someone). These kids showing that they can be inserted will allow the team to trade an asset like Miller or Krug at some point here. This team is going to need to trade defense to acquire offense at some point

It's a shame Vaakannainen got hurt, because he could have been in a position right now to seize a spot in the top 6 and never relinquish it

Going to be interesting over the next month to see who elevates their game between Lauzon, Zboril and Vaakannainen when he returns. Clifton has been good enough as well, but I'd assume he's the first one back to Providence as soon as anyone gets back

Reactions: Saxon Eric

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think he has played well, skates well, makes the simple plays and has been steady

Not everyone is McAvoy and a stud at 19 years old.....I think guys like Lauzon and Zboril just being solid (they don't have to be stars) and playing responsible defense, retrieving pucks, using their skating, making the simple plays and smart first pass is going to be huge for this team

Let's face it.....Chara can't play more than another year or two....so this defensive core is going to be built around McAvoy, Carlo, Vaakannainen, Krug, Moore, Zboril, Grzelcyk, Lauzon going forward (barring a trade of someone). These kids showing that they can be inserted will allow the team to trade an asset like Miller or Krug at some point here. This team is going to need to trade defense to acquire offense at some point

It's a shame Vaakannainen got hurt, because he could have been in a position right now to seize a spot in the top 6 and never relinquish it

Going to be interesting over the next month to see who elevates their game between Lauzon, Zboril and Vaakannainen when he returns. Clifton has been good enough as well, but I'd assume he's the first one back to Providence as soon as anyone gets back

was kind of benched in the third period... not sure why

played a good game...

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
was kind of benched in the third period... not sure why

played a good game...
Lauzon's ice time was 11, 12, 11, 11, and 13 over his first 5 games and now that he is comfortable he is getting 21, 24, and 23 over the last 3.

They appear to be following the same path with Zboril with 10 and 10. Both guys were nervous to start but were ok as the games went on. Coach Dean knows what he's doing and I think he built up Lauzon's confidence here in the NHL and is doing the same with Zboril.

Clifton is a different animal in that he has an over abundance of confidence (similar to McAvoy) so they let him loose with 18 and then 20 minutes. They are not worried about him getting down on himself as evidence by his continued good play after that one bad turnover for the goal against.

I would like to see more from Zboril but if this leads to a better long term player, I can wait.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I thought so to, but I’m pretty sure he was out there for a decent length shift with about two and a half minutes to go? I think he won a puck battle and then made a clear as he was falling?

Yup

Maybe Kampfer wasnt all there tonight is perhaps another reason .. if Kampfer is out next... that would bad

BruinsNetwork

Thought he played a good game, looked more comfortable than he did in his debut against Dallas. First-period against Dallas, he handled the puck like it was a hand grenade.

Tonight, I didn’t see that and it looked as though he utilized his skating and skills pretty well.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I'm still hoping Zboril turns into a good d-man for us but I'm still a little cautiously optimistic. He has all the tools I just wonder if he has the toolbox to put it all together. Nerves definitely are a factor but I still just feel like his defensive IQ might be his biggest weakness. You can see his natural instinct is to sort of run around a bit and chase the play, but he has to fight that desire sometimes to stay back and be in position. One example from I believe the first period he got down low in the offensive zone and then had to rush to get back, and while he sort of got back the forward was able to get in past him to the net. Things like that are where he needs to be a little smarter. Hopefully it all comes together for him because he definitely does have the potential.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Not that one needs an ideal type of body to be a good hockey player

But Zboril shoulders are on the narrower side. He will need to work extra to build shoulder muscle/strength

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
sorry to bump this up, but i know HF likes to use existing threads.

@DKH had some good discussion going on zboril somewhere, but it's hard to
keep up. dan - what's your thoughts on this guy? it seems like he continues
to make progress and i would say he's a definite NHL player to me at some point.

my problem has always been his decision making. stupid pass here, stupid penalty
there, an oops i left my guy in front and forgot to clear him out. for the folks that
have seen him more often than i have, is he improving in that regard? nobody
questioned the package of skill and skating and physical play. i just always see
a guy destined for bottom pairing due to the toolbox.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

to make progress and i would say he's a definite NHL player to me at some point.

my problem has always been his decision making. stupid pass here, stupid penalty
there, an oops i left my guy in front and forgot to clear him out. for the folks that
questioned the package of skill and skating and physical play. i just always see
All about decisions

Monday I sat where the goal Judge used to be (yes it’s gone) and I knew the OT winner was a goal long before ruled and even left and heard the celebration as I hit the exit entrance

Also let me watch Ritchie and Zboril close and closely

Small sample one game of course

Zboril looks the part and played the part

I’ve wondered is he another Joe Morrow or Jeff Jillson ?

Skills galore but in the end it’s what’s the brain doing ?

Grzelcyk is quick stick and quick mind - he makes great decisions

His brain for ice hockey is elite - like Bergeron’s

The way it is

I’m not sure Zboril reads and reacts at a high level and he competes hard but occasionally has a fog like shift

BUT - Leach said he was along with Zech their best two D in the playoffs and the 1 game I saw he was excellent

CONCUSSION

I send him down. I’m Sweeney and Langenbrunner I have him come in tell him he had a strong camp (assuming he plays well tomorrow) and he’s to work hard and good things will happen - you are in our plans

The problem is the left side is loaded with prospects (Vaakanainen Lauzon Zboril Zech)

With all due respect to Cory Pronman and Leafs fans who say the Bruins are old and done their 100 feet of defenseman/goalie ice organizationally taking D & G is in my view hands down #1 in hockey

Their under 30 D is best in hockey from NHL/AHL

Their over 40 D is best in hockey (see what I did there)

Zboril in a tough spot- for now

I keep him - not dealing without getting a 1 back. A high 2 would interest me but the Bruins got so much depth in the system I’d just keep him

BruinsNetwork

I'll highjack a bit here.

I think Zboril is absolutely an NHL-player in some capacity right now. His raw tools and natural ability can just simply carry him to at least a bottom-pair somewhere in the NHL, IMO. You brain guppy's his brain and decision-making ability, which is the only thing holding him back from being a top-pair defender in the mold of what the Bruins thought they were getting at No. 13 OA.

I don't think Zboril will ever justify being picked No. 13 by Boston in 2015, it's just the simple, honest truth. However, I really do think he can be a second-pair defender somewhere in the NHL, if not in Boston due to the sheer amount of depth and guys who fit their plan more so than Zboril. He has made progress over the last two year sin Providence, albeit inconsistent and slowly. Leach said he was their best D in the playoff besides Zech and I agree, except I think he was their best during that tough series against Charlotte.

He's a work-in-progress and definitely is making some. I like him as a "plus" bottom-pairing defender who can be a weapon on the PP. During the preseason, his work in the attacking-zone has stood out to me. Such poise and natural ability to make plays with the puck. That's where he stands out as the most naturally gifted defender in the system aside from McAvoy, IMO. If he can work out a few more kinks and continue to learn and be malleable, then I think he could be a second-pair defender somewhere as well.

All about decisions

Monday I sat where the goal Judge used to be (yes it’s gone) and I knew the OT winner was a goal long before ruled and even left and heard the celebration as I hit the exit entrance

Also let me watch Ritchie and Zboril close and closely

Small sample one game of course

Zboril looks the part and played the part

I’ve wondered is he another Joe Morrow or Jeff Jillson ?

Skills galore but in the end it’s what’s the brain doing ?

Grzelcyk is quick stick and quick mind - he makes great decisions

His brain for ice hockey is elite - like Bergeron’s

The way it is

I’m not sure Zboril reads and reacts at a high level and he competes hard but occasionally has a fog like shift

BUT - Leach said he was along with Zech their best two D in the playoffs and the 1 game I saw he was excellent

CONCUSSION

I send him down. I’m Sweeney and Langenbrunner I have him come in tell him he had a strong camp (assuming he plays well tomorrow) and he’s to work hard and good things will happen - you are in our plans

The problem is the left side is loaded with prospects (Vaakanainen Lauzon Zboril Zech)

With all due respect to Cory Pronman and Leafs fans who say the Bruins are old and done their 100 feet of defenseman/goalie ice organizationally taking D & G is in my view hands down #1 in hockey

Their under 30 D is best in hockey from NHL/AHL

Their over 40 D is best in hockey (see what I did there)

Zboril in a tough spot- for now

I keep him - not dealing without getting a 1 back. A high 2 would interest me but the Bruins got so much depth in the system I’d just keep him

I agree on a lot of this, Dan. Zboril has the tools and skill to be effective all over a lineup in the NHL, but his brain needs to catch up to the rest of him. He's made progress, but that best progress that he's made is in term of his attitude and work ethic. He's admitted that his conditioning just wasn't acceptable after year-one in Providence and he's been working on it. I saw him on the bike a few times last season after games in Providence, to boot. When speaking with him, he's always been candid and seems to know he needs to be doing more, but also that he's trying.

I think he's young enough to be coached and molded into someone that can be an effective player in the NHL. Will he be the best at what he does? No, but he could still be a good player in some capacity. I worry about his decisions in his own end sometimes, but again, I think that can be coached still. Maybe he ends up being the left-handed version of Colin Miller.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

I think Zboril is absolutely an NHL-player in some capacity right now. His raw tools and natural ability can just simply carry him to at least a bottom-pair somewhere in the NHL, IMO. You brain guppy's his brain and decision-making ability, which is the only thing holding him back from being a top-pair defender in the mold of what the Bruins thought they were getting at No. 13 OA.

I don't think Zboril will ever justify being picked No. 13 by Boston in 2015, it's just the simple, honest truth. However, I really do think he can be a second-pair defender somewhere in the NHL, if not in Boston due to the sheer amount of depth and guys who fit their plan more so than Zboril. He has made progress over the last two year sin Providence, albeit inconsistent and slowly. Leach said he was their best D in the playoff besides Zech and I agree, except I think he was their best during that tough series against Charlotte.

He's a work-in-progress and definitely is making some. I like him as a "plus" bottom-pairing defender who can be a weapon on the PP. During the preseason, his work in the attacking-zone has stood out to me. Such poise and natural ability to make plays with the puck. That's where he stands out as the most naturally gifted defender in the system aside from McAvoy, IMO. If he can work out a few more kinks and continue to learn and be malleable, then I think he could be a second-pair defender somewhere as well.

I agree on a lot of this, Dan. Zboril has the tools and skill to be effective all over a lineup in the NHL, but his brain needs to catch up to the rest of him. He's made progress, but that best progress that he's made is in term of his attitude and work ethic. He's admitted that his conditioning just wasn't acceptable after year-one in Providence and he's been working on it. I saw him on the bike a few times last season after games in Providence, to boot. When speaking with him, he's always been candid and seems to know he needs to be doing more, but also that he's trying.

I think he's young enough to be coached and molded into someone that can be an effective player in the NHL. Will he be the best at what he does? No, but he could still be a good player in some capacity. I worry about his decisions in his own end sometimes, but again, I think that can be coached still. Maybe he ends up being the left-handed version of Colin Miller.

thanks for the response. look forward to your updates this season.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I'm not going to disagree with any of this.

But....

Zboril by all accounts from people in the room going back to his junior days, has always been very coachable and his effort was never questioned. He absorbs what the coaches tell him, but to me, there seems to be an issue getting the information from his head to his hands and feet.

In 50 years of watching hockey, I have seen players that have some "questionable" decision making being "coached" out of making those decisions. Just how far Zboril can take that will determine the kind of player he will end up being.

When he's on he's on. My problem is that he just isn't on enough.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Unfortunately, for many defensemen that never happens.

Yes, there is a Colin Miller. But there is also a Joe Morrow.

The Bruins can afford to be patient.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad