Confirmed with Link: Jakub Jerabek Signed to One-Year Contract

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Maybe pump the brakes on definitive statements like 'same **** this year'.
The season hasnt started yet.

A lot can happen between now and October.

Other than PTO's, depth signings, etc. I can't see much else happening before the season starts.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So Montreal gave up on him, Washington let him go without playing much, and you still think he will be Sekera replacement?

Better give a shot to Bouchard.
WSH didn't play him because Kempny and Djoos stepped up and took their chance and ran with it.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I do wonder if ek wamts to hit fa edmonton may be an ideal stop.

On that note would anyone do 1st + for ek knowing its just one year.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

Interesting idea.

One year with McDavid with all the PP time he can eat is certainly not going to hurt his asking price when he's a UFA next summer.

Problem being though that the Senators will want something pretty decent as the + in that deal and for 1 year that's a lot to pay. Senators likely want a couple good prospects and a 1st... or at a minimum a true blue chip prospect and a 1st.

If Karlsson just uses the Oilers as a stepping stone to an $11 million deal somewhere else... I don't think losing say Yamamoto/Bouchard + a 2019 1st for 1 year of Karlsson is worth it.

The Oilers very likely make the playoffs if that deal goes down...(if the key players stay healthy that is)... but the Oilers then have to fit in Karlsson's $6.5 million for a year while also potentially having to juggle Sekera coming back in late in the season which would probably still be doable with a trade or some very creative waiver wire dumping... but it makes things complicated where you are losing a 1st and a good prospect plus potentially losing an asset (or assets) late in the season (probably for nothing much coming back) all for 1 year of Karlsson.

Hard to say it's not worth it in the short term because the team probably leaps up to being in strong contention to win the division... and then who knows what could happen in the playoffs.

If they knew Sekera was done for good and there's a good chance that McDavid and Karlsson would look so good together that Karlsson wouldn't want to leave the Oilers... thus signing long term next summer... then yes it's a decent bet to take a shot at making that deal.

I just don't think the Oilers would make that deal without knowing an extension isn't in the cards right off the bat.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Interesting idea.

One year with McDavid with all the PP time he can eat is certainly not going to hurt his asking price when he's a UFA next summer.

Problem being though that the Senators will want something pretty decent as the + in that deal and for 1 year that's a lot to pay. Senators likely want a couple good prospects and a 1st... or at a minimum a true blue chip prospect and a 1st.

If Karlsson just uses the Oilers as a stepping stone to an $11 million deal somewhere else... I don't think losing say Yamamoto/Bouchard + a 2019 1st for 1 year of Karlsson is worth it.

The Oilers very likely make the playoffs if that deal goes down...(if the key players stay healthy that is)... but the Oilers then have to fit in Karlsson's $6.5 million for a year while also potentially having to juggle Sekera coming back in late in the season which would probably still be doable with a trade or some very creative waiver wire dumping... but it makes things complicated where you are losing a 1st and a good prospect plus potentially losing an asset (or assets) late in the season (probably for nothing much coming back) all for 1 year of Karlsson.

Hard to say it's not worth it in the short term because the team probably leaps up to being in strong contention to win the division... and then who knows what could happen in the playoffs.

If they knew Sekera was done for good and there's a good chance that McDavid and Karlsson would look so good together that Karlsson wouldn't want to leave the Oilers... thus signing long term next summer... then yes it's a decent bet to take a shot at making that deal.

I just don't think the Oilers would make that deal without knowing an extension isn't in the cards right off the bat.

I wonder if he is interested in signing anywhere.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I wouldn't do it. Even if we aren't a playoff team, giving up a kings ransom just isn't worth it. Sure you could trade him at the deadline, but what happens if he gets hurt?

Rather use those assets elsewhere

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
No. Pretty easy to determine if an offseason had significant moves or not. Defence was our biggest problem last year, defence is even worse this year. The thing that will change that is Bouchard miraciously saves the day, which shouldn't be expected of an 18 year non first overall.
Our defense hasn't even changed from last year except we swapped Auvitu for Jerebek.

How is that even worse?

Ser Pudman

Nov 25, 2013
Interesting idea.

I think it is simpler than that. I don't think many players would risk getting injured without a contract in place for the chance of getting a bigger payday. Especially for karlsson. He can get 8 years for 11 million per from lots of teams. Think it will be unlikely to risk missing out on that. That's a lot of gauranteed money. If he gets traded it's likely to the team he wants to stay long term with

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Our defense hasn't even changed from last year except we swapped Auvitu for Jerebek.

How is that even worse?

I'm talking off season to off season. Last off season we we thought Sekera would be back mid season, looks like the shell of Sekera might be out the whole season. Last offseason we didn't realize Klefbom sucked, we thought he'd only get better. This off season we expect him to be his same shitty self. Last offseason we didn't know if that D core would succeed or fail, it failed. This offseason we know the D core can't get the job done and still Chia doesn't essentially nothing

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
I'm talking off season to off season. Last off season we we thought Sekera would be back mid season, looks like the shell of Sekera might be out the whole season. Last offseason we didn't realize Klefbom sucked, we thought he'd only get better. This off season we expect him to be his same ****ty self. Last offseason we didn't know if that D core would succeed or fail, it failed. This offseason we know the D core can't get the job done and still Chia doesn't essentially nothing

What do you expect him to do with the salary cap we have? It is going to be growth from within from here on out. Get used to it

Reactions: Cypress and TB12

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm talking off season to off season. Last off season we we thought Sekera would be back mid season, looks like the shell of Sekera might be out the whole season. Last offseason we didn't realize Klefbom sucked, we thought he'd only get better. This off season we expect him to be his same ****ty self. Last offseason we didn't know if that D core would succeed or fail, it failed. This offseason we know the D core can't get the job done and still Chia doesn't essentially nothing
There is almost literally zero he could do. Yes he is at fault for where we are but there is nothing him or another gm could do right now.

If we move a forward for a good defensemen, our shitty forward core gets worse.

Pulling a Calgary and moving a bunch of picks for a meh defender isn't a great deal either.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
NBC Analyst Alan May was on Stauffer the other day. Had this to say about Jerabek...

Alan May said:
“He should have been a sixth (defenceman) as a Washington Capital,” May said when Stauffer asked if Jerabek could land a job in the third pairing. “He played very well every game that he was in but Barry Trotz had his guy that he was in love with from the start of the pre-season, the end of the year before, he decided this kid Christian Djoos was going to be on his team . . . he wasn’t taking Djoos out no matter what and Jerabek wasn’t going back in.
“Jerabek played very well in every game that he played for the Caps. He’s feisty along the boards. He’s a very good defender. Tough around the front of the net. He moves the puck up ice laser fast. He’s an excellent passer. He’s a north-guy, he doesn’t go to (his) partner all the time. He can play either side. I can definitely see him making that team and being a valuable contributor.”

Pretty high praise. Sounds like he has a good chance of making an impact as a bottom pairing Dman.
Might be one more reason to have Bouchard play in London next season.

Here is the entire article by Robin Brownlee....

Jakub Jerabek: Sleeper?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
NBC Analyst Alan May was on Stauffer the other day. Had this to say about Jerabek...

Pretty high praise. Sounds like he has a good chance of making an impact as a bottom pairing Dman.

Truth be told, I'm liking this battle for the 3LD between Jarabek, Garrison, and Gravel.

Even with Sekera injuried, I think with the number of bodies competing Bouchard is all but guaranteed to head back to London.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

This was really the story for a lot of Caps in the playoffs. You had to be ready as there were others waiting to get in or back in.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Truth be told, I'm liking this battle for the 3LD between Jarabek, Garrison, and Gravel.

Even with Sekera injuried, I think with the number of bodies competing Bouchard is all but guaranteed to head back to London.

Its a bonus that Jerabek can play both sides. Really looking forward to seeing this player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad