Confirmed with Link: Jakub Jerabek Signed to One-Year Contract

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Because the org still devalues its own prospects. It has since K lowe and MacT have been here. They are still here. At least unconsciously its still going on. Still a feeling that grass is greener elsewhere.

This org STILL doesn't invest in present org prospects. Look at my post in the "insanity" thread for more on that. This org is so bad at developing org players (stlll) that we airlift in tweeners.

I know I keep mentioning this but its relevant. BOTH Slepychev, Pakarinen showed signs of developing here and carving out a niche in play. Both had good moments here and specific uses. Pak on pk, 4th iine, was a solid hitter, very low GA, basically shutdown forward. Whats not to like? Team gets rid of him. To me this was a late bloomer that could have used more time. Instead the team scratched him half the games this year. Same thing with Slepychev. heres a guy that obviously clicked with Draisaitl but the the org responds by only givng him 56minutes with Drai all season and scratching him time after time and giving very limited minutes. Despite Slepy being a player that would often show skill.

Both Pak and Slepy were completely willing to play bottomsix roles here. But both were upset that the team kept scratching them in games while playing guys like Kassian that just don't care. Both realized this season that the org had no plans for them.

So its the same thing still going on imo.

I'll definitely agree with you there; it was mind boggling how no changes were made when Lucic and Kassian decided not to play hockey last season, yet management gave them important roles

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Sort of hard not to. The origins of a lot of these threads stem from just another bad move from Chiarelli.

Really missing the point. We get it. You don't like Chia.

There is a thread to vent those feelings about that.

Looking for a 6/7 tweener Jerabek is a good risk to take. That far down the depth chart is always going to be a risk.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
I have a pretty good tan. I'm ready for hockey now.

Edit:
Also, I'm as blindly optimistic as I am every year. Looking forward to seeing what the new blood (coaches and players) bring(s).

Reactions: Aerchon

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005
Hendricks could communicate in the room and on the ice either verbally or non verbally with expressions and wasn't averse to doing that. He was a respected player with some unique traits on and off the ice. He was also, like Maroon, that kind of guy that kept it real on the ice. Wouldn't get too worked up, knew the big picture in life and knew how to calm the kids.

We don't know for an instant that Upshall is like that. Upshall even spent most of his career playing on Vet clubs.

But the notion that 4 season into Chia Era we still need yesman babysitters on the ice and in the room to salve insecure needs of coaching and management is kind of sick.

I know why Upshall and Brodz are here because the org is veering back to a tendency to hire people that WON'T speak up and that just tow the line. There is good and bad in that. The bad is that daycare should be long past over. If this org and club still needs chemistry impetus and more "character guys" after getting Lucic, Kassian, Strome, all the others before then there is no message that is being heard or sustained.

To wit if an Upshall is required in 18-19 then very little progress has been made in team concept and adherence here.

Guys like Hendricks are only transition guys. They are in your lineup to help a club turn a corner and develop maturity, good habits, attitude to pro sports. At some point you wean that out of the lineup just like the 80's Oilers did with Lee Fogolin, Stan Weir, etc. A club is supposed to start learning to fly to the degree that groundschool isn't required anymore.

I assume you have already purchased the tin foil and are now just working out the proper design for your hat?

Reactions: TB12 and Laodongxi

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Because he isn’t Karlsson.
Pretty much. There are legitimate criticisms of Chia, as there are pretty much every GM, but this is not one of them.

I confess to not knowing much about Jerabek having only seen him play a few times but it seems most fans of the teams he played on are quite positive about his upside.

It's tough to see how Chia could have added Sekera's replacement before he got hurt but it seems many feel he should have done so. The Oilers actually still have 4 top 4 defenseman which is actually better than most teams could say if they lost a guy like Sekera. If Jerabek can play as a legitimate bottom pairing defenseman then at least the Oilers should have 6 NHL calibre defenseman to start the season.

Reactions: Aerchon

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Not sure if it was posted, but the Oilers talked to Jerabek

BLOG: Jerabek embracing playing in a 'hockey town'

"It's a hockey town and a big organization with big history," he said. "I'm very excited to play here with this group and with one of the best players in the league, Connor McDavid."

Jerabek mustered two goals and six assists in 36 NHL games last season. In the AHL with the Rocket, the left-shot recorded one goal and 11 points in 17 outings.

"I play solid defence, can make good breakout passes and have a quick transition," Jerabek said of his style of play.

"I know that I have to show up and if I get a chance, hopefully, take it."
Seems excited, which is always nice.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
So Montreal gave up on him, Washington let him go without playing much, and you still think he will be Sekera replacement?

Better give a shot to Bouchard.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
So Montreal gave up on him, Washington let him go without playing much, and you still think he will be Sekera replacement?

Better give a shot to Bouchard.

Jerabek and Bouchard will both get a shot at camp.

5/6/7 D spots are all up for grabs.

Bear/Benning/Bouchard/Gravel/Jerabek will all be given the chance to win one of those three jobs.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think the top 5 are pretty set.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning/Russell

It's the 6 and 7 spots up for grabs.

I assume they might run with 8 dmen to start the year if they want to give Bouchard his 9 game trial... but then that means only 13 forwards so one of Rattie/Aberg/Upshall might not make the opening roster.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We're in the same position as last year: hoping players can play above their heads because of injuries/cap problems.
Exactly this. I came out of last season kneeing it was a dud, and it's the exact same shit this year. Can't comprehend how Chia in a pressers can say "maybe he made some gambles that didn't pan out and that's on him" then do it all over again this year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Exactly this. I came out of last season kneeing it was a dud, and it's the exact same **** this year. Can't comprehend how Chia in a pressers can say "maybe he made some gambles that didn't pan out and that's on him" then do it all over again this year.

Maybe pump the brakes on definitive statements like 'same **** this year'.
The season hasnt started yet.

A lot can happen between now and October.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Maybe pump the brakes on definitive statements like 'same **** this year'.
The season hasnt started yet.

A lot can happen between now and October.

No. Pretty easy to determine if an offseason had significant moves or not. Defence was our biggest problem last year, defence is even worse this year. The thing that will change that is Bouchard miraciously saves the day, which shouldn't be expected of an 18 year non first overall.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No. Pretty easy to determine if an offseason had significant moves or not. Defence was our biggest problem last year, defence is even worse this year. The thing that will change that is Bouchard miraciously saves the day, which shouldn't be expected of an 18 year non first overall.

Right...so your mind is made up then on August 26th.

Try to enjoy the season once it actually starts. :nod:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
And our defense was alot better the year before with the same group.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Right...so your mind is made up then on August 26th.

Try to enjoy the season once it actually starts. :nod:

Oh didn't know you need to see 3 seasons of the defence to determine what kind of defence we have. I guess 2 seasons isn't enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->